Key bass- any tips?

• Members

Left hand bass ,,, I just typically thump a root note. I do walk bass with my left hand on blues and solo stuff ,, but for the most part I keep the left hand pretty out of the mix as to not clash with the bass player. I started a new gig and have to do the left hand lick on peter gun and the clav part on superstition. I got the parts down , but its really easy to run off the road,, since they just dont let up through the whole song

• Members
that's funny. when i'm playing organ, i can't solo worth a shit unless i'm playing bass too.

I hear you. My first organ trio has gotten to a point at which you can present it to an audience with a certain confidence :) As a band organ player, however, I feel like the village idiot, and mostly I restrict myself to playing some stuff with the right hand. Crazy... you would assume that it's so much easier with a full band.

• Members

Left hand bass ,,, I just typically thump a root note. I do walk bass with my left hand on blues and solo stuff ,, but for the most part I keep the left hand pretty out of the mix as to not clash with the bass player. I started a new gig and have to do the left hand lick on peter gun and the clav part on superstition. I got the parts down , but its really easy to run off the road,, since they just dont let up through the whole song

rhat - trying to "keep the left hand pretty out of the mix as to not clash with the bass player" (except for Peter Gunn and Supertition) is not playing left hand bass - although it is demonstrating good musicianship! ;)

LFB is when there's no bass player and your left hand literally plays actual bass lines all night. :p

• Members

I've noticed that with jazz organ, the LH bass is usually fairly simple and repetitive unless it is walking bass. A bass player's patterns are usually harder to solo over. A case in point is "Hip Hugger". It's hard for me to keep that bass part going and solo very fluently. But then again, I'm not Jim Alfredson with Root Doctor who does all that and then some, along with pedalwork.

Elvis' "A Little Less Conversation" has a really thumping bass part that I am going to have to simplify a little. Little Feat's "Roll With It" is going to be a challenge also, because of the fast tempo.

• Members

You're on the right path. The boogie woogie will help train hand independence, ragtime and stride will do that too. That will go a long way to make that left hand go on autopilot. Important thing about imitating bass players is to listen to the real thing intimately - not just notes but phrasing, articulation.

When you get there, it's a coveted skill that not many musicians have.

:thu: Good info, also ensure you select a good bass patch to really hold in the bottom end. There are soo many to choose from using the correct patch really helps to fill the void. I used to cover bass for a progressive Jazz trio years ago and also cover bass when playing organ at church if the bass player is missing or off (Ahhh the Hammond foot pedals), its fun but you really have to keep that left hand moving, especially if it is elevated above another board on a 2nd tier, the arm tires quick but work out with the drummer to keep your timing on and I 2nd Mate Stubb, definitely run bass thru a separate amp if possible as not to muddy up your dominate keyboard sound...

• Members

RE bass patches- would a Yamaha P-bass sample work? I have one on my P120 but may also be using an MM6 (don't have my hands on it yet). Some guidance here may keep me from muddling around by trial and error (my usual modus operandi).

I also see the reason for using a seperate amp for bass, and that optimizing the EQ for that would indeed "muddy up" the sound of whatever patch I was using on the upper keys. But with only 2 boards I may have to compromise, as I cannot dedicate one solely to bass.

Maybe- pan bass sounds hard-left and other sounds hard-right? Any other suggestions?

• Members

rhat - trying to "keep the left hand pretty out of the mix as to not clash with the bass player" (except for Peter Gunn and Supertition) is not playing left hand bass - although it is demonstrating
good musicianship!
;)

LFB
is when there's
no
bass player and your left hand
literally
plays
actual bass lines
all night.
:p

Yea i know,,,, I was into boogie woogie stuff ,, so I know what walkin a bass line is. I am glad I dont have to do it all night.

• Members

IMHO as a longtime bass player I have found it best to go with a monophonic sound. If you are using the MM6 you may find it more convincing to layer the bass tone with a really deep organ or EP patch to fill it up a bit. The Yamaha bass tones are really not dark enough on their own. I tend to disagree with the rerouting. I play my keys through a bass amp usually but have also played through EV Eliminator monitors and never had it muddy up my other sounds. Full range is full range. I am probably not half the keyboard player you guys are but maybe a better bass player. Also not to sound like an ass. You guys talking about playing bass reminds me of guitar players talking about playing keys.;)

Archived