DSL close to plexi?

Damokles

• Members

Hi

Yesterday i saw one of our local coverbands who just perform at lousy partys and play all night, covering all kinds of popular chart rock&metal and it was actually the first time i heard an old marshall plexy in action. And well that Soudn was {censored}ing brilliant, the guy played a gibson through that head into a 4x12" marshall but i didn't get the effects. Pure rock 'n roll that soudn was brilliant and i want it. But a plexi is nowhere to be fund round here except on ebay and it's just too expensive. So i'm considering a DSL but i don't know how close it can get.

Advise?

• Members

I'd say mine comes pretty close with the clean channel cranked up a bit, but don't drop 1500.00 on an amp without trying it yourself. I will say that the DSL(head) doesn't get sweet until about 4 though. That may be a bit loud in a music store unless they have an isolation room for you to crank up in.

• Members

That Dudes plexi was loud enough that my ears are still whistling, plus he was miced very professionally. All in all all teenagers are crazy not even the concerts i go too are that loud... and i'm twenty years old and play in a rock band as well my current amp never cranked below 2 o clock.

Yeah i should try it out myself i guess i'll have to find a store who has a DSl 100. I've seen the litte combo version several times, how does it compare if i play it, like it but want to buy the half stack then?

• Members

Originally posted by Rich

Side by side comparison, the DSL was a buzzy and inarticulate compared to a plexi.

You can always geta dsl modded to eliminate the bozziness and make it able to get dead on plexi tones. You might also want to have a switch added that will allow you to select the number of power tubes you want to use. You can also buy a attenuator like a hotplate with dsl, plexi or any all tube head and get the power tubes too cook at lower volumes. :cool:

• Members

No...

I own a '71 Super Lead (which is sorta close to a Plexi) and have owned a TSL100 and played DSL100's and 2203 up the ying-yang. They sound quite different from a Plexi or what most people consider to be a Plexi tone. The 2203, DSL's, TSL's are tighter and more aggressive. They have more gain and have a master volume. Even if you install a PPIMV on an old non-MV Marshall, they still sound different. They're grittier and very organic sounding (I hate that term, but it fits). I have a clip of my Super Lead in another thread. It will give you some idea of what a Plexi sounds like.

• Members

Oh yeah... I really like both the TSL and DSL's. I think they're both great-sounding amps. Just need to put different preamp tubes in it, be mindful of the speakers you use and check the bias. Great amps IMO.

• Members

This is just my obsevation having owned both a dsl, tsl and currently have a plexi. I`d take the plexi anyday, i nearly gave up on marshalls until i got my plexi. I`m not bashing the DSL or TSL`s either they are just a different beast, you can get close to a plexi tone but cant nail it with these amps IMO.

I would highly recomend a PPIMV or a hotplate or something to tame the plexi`s volume tho as they are a non master volume amp.

here`s a clip of my bray plexi

http://www.davidbrayamps.com/McGill.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by Gooma

This is just my obsevation having owned both a dsl, tsl and currently have a plexi. I`d take the plexi anyday, i nearly gave up on marshalls until i got my plexi. I`m not bashing the DSL or TSL`s either they are just a different beast, you can get close to a plexi tone but cant nail it with these amps IMO.

I would highly recomend a PPIMV or a hotplate or something to tame the plexi`s volume tho as they are a non master volume amp.

here`s a clip of my bray plexi

http://www.davidbrayamps.com/McGill.mp3

Like I said, the plexi is the more articulate amp of the two.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Gulliverseyes

Great clip Gooma, thanks. Very raw and almost terrifying ... And that's with no distortion pedal, huh?

Any "off the shelf" amps that nail this sound?

Thanks man, thats not me playing tho, thats Dave Bray :D this is a modded plexi and has a tad more gain than stock. But it gives you a general idea, as Vlad and Rich have said previously, Plexi`s are generally Grittier more organic/raw.

Funny thing is i have friends who would take their TSL anyday over my plexi so it all comes down to personal preference:)

Brad

• Members

Thanks man, thats not me playing tho, thats Dave Bray
:D
this is a modded plexi and has a tad more gain than stock. But it gives you a general idea, as Vlad and Rich have said previously, Plexi`s are generally Grittier more organic/raw.

Funny thing is i have friends who would take their TSL anyday over my plexi so it all comes down to personal preference:)

Brad

I think maybe some people choose the DSL because it's more of a player friendly amp. I.E. you can hide lots of bad playing in fizzy gain, where as the plexi will showcase your playing, mistakes and all in a BIG way. A plexi forces you to become a cleaner guitar player.:cool:

• Members

Thanks man, thats not me playing tho, thats Dave Bray
:D
this is a modded plexi and has a tad more gain than stock. But it gives you a general idea, as Vlad and Rich have said previously, Plexi`s are generally Grittier more organic/raw.

Brad

I posted a comparison clip between my old Super Lead and a friends 2203. Both thru the same cab, boosted with an SD-1. Alot of people liked the 2203 better.

• Members

Originally posted by Rich

I think maybe some people choose the DSL because it's more of a player friendly amp. I.E. you can hide lots of bad playing in fizzy gain, where as the plexi will showcase your playing, mistakes and all in a BIG way. A plexi forces you to become a cleaner guitar player.
:cool:

I couldnt agree more rich, i guess you have to really dig in and play a plexi more if that makes any sence :)

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

I posted a comparison clip between my old Super Lead and a friends 2203. Both thru the same cab, boosted with an SD-1. Alot of people liked the 2203 better.

Yes i think i head those clips Vlad, i cant remember which one sounded better to my ears, i havent had the pleasure of playing a 2203. Sounds like a nice amp from what i`ve heard.

• Members

Yes i think i head those clips Vlad, i cant remember which one sounded better to my ears, i havent had the pleasure of playing a 2203. Sounds like a nice amp from what i`ve heard.

I really liked both amps... They both brought something different to the table. I couldn't pick one that I liked better.

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Plexis are nice for some old blues sounds and classic rock. The latter if you have a boost pedal.

They do sound great.

But not my cup of tea. I'd rather have a higher gain Marshall.

Have you ever played a high gain plexi? You might change your mind. I played a Reinhardt Jester that kicked the absolute crap out of lots of other high gain amps. It's a point to point wired amp with all kinds of filtering and other tricks to maintain articlulation and note clarity along with the added gain.:cool:

Here's the link: www.reinhardtamps.com They are not inexpensive knock-offs, and are built out of the finest compnents, voiced to your tastes. Reinhardt even uses NOS tubes.

• Members

Personally I prefer the Hendrix/ Van Halen/ Eric Johnson tone of the plexi to the Zakk Wylde/ newer Jeff Beck sound of the DSL, although you can use the DSL in the house. Played a TSL at a gig once and didn't really like it. Sounded like a JCM900 with more bass, and wasn't loud enough to cut through the mix.

Archived