So how many watts do you need? Really?

unit11

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by dughaze

It depends on the speaker configuration too. You generally get more volume with a 4x12 as opposed to a 10" speaker.

Even though this drifts a little off topic,

How does speaker configuration affect volume?

• Members

Originally posted by unit11

Okay, how about how many watts do you need if your gear isn't mic'd. Maybe 3 watts works for you, my friend, but I'm talking about wattage for small-to-medium venues as well as practice. Unless you mic everything when you practice?...

Seems like a hella hassle to me.

ok, ok, i'll go to 4 but thats my max.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarman967

Watts are just about headroom. There is only a 3db difference between a 100watt head and a 50 watt head and the human ear can hardly even detect that difference.

That's a little misleading. It's a nice, pretty stat, but there is more to it than that. And we'll end up saying the same thing, but you have to explain WHY the human ear won't detect the VOLUME difference.

The reason people would prefer the 50 watt head over the 100 is not neccessarily headroom OR volume (direct sound pressure level), per se.

The 50 watts will "break up" faster. A smoother and sweeter distortion at (yes indeed) lower volumes.

It is a bit confusing...suffice it to say that you added a power soak by buying the 50 watter over the 100 watter.:D

• Members
Originally posted by 17 Tubes

That's a little misleading. It's a nice, pretty stat, but there is more to it than that. And we'll end up saying the same thing, but you have to explain WHY the human ear won't detect the VOLUME difference.

The reason people would prefer the 50 watt head over the 100 is not neccessarily headroom OR volume (direct sound pressure level), per se.

The 50 watts will "break up" faster. A smoother and sweeter distortion at (yes indeed) lower volumes.

It is a bit confusing...suffice it to say that you added a power soak by buying the 50 watter over the 100 watter.
:D

I don't understand if there is a point to what you have said. The human ear won't detect it because it is not a big difference. What could possibly be misleading about that? My point is that if you cannot detect an audible difference between 100 and 50 watts then the main difference is in the way the amp reacts tonewise. All this talk about "How many Watts is enough?" is irrelavant. Also Many other factors come into play here, like the size of the room or venue.

• Members

So really if I had a 30W amp and a 50W amp the difference is mainly head room? When you comment on how much thump comes from wattage, have you tested the same model with different watts? It seems to me like the difference in sound between the 36W and the 100W might just be because they are different models...

More watts is directly proportional to a better bass response. The plexi, with it's massive transformers and 4 big bottles is going to have way more bottom end than my 36 watter with it's small heyboer transformers and El84 tubes.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman967

I don't understand if there is a point to what you have said. The human won't detect it because it is not a big difference. What could possibly be misleading about that? My point is that if you cannot detect an audible difference between 100 and 50 watts then the main difference is in the way the amp reacts tonewise. All this talk about "How many Watts is enough?" is irrelavant. Also Many other factors come into play here, like the size of the room or venue.

My point wasn't from the listeners perspective. Which is where you are coming from.

It's from the player and how *HE* perceives the wattage.

Got it?

A player will notice the difference when he kicks in the lead channel/overdirve channel, especially.

The point is that LOUDNESS isn't the sole consideration in wattage rating.

And I have already said that there are other factors such as genre, room/stage/ drummer, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Rich

More watts is directly proportional to a better bass response. The plexi, with it's massive transformers and 4 big bottles is going to have way more bottom end than my 36 watter with it's small heyboer transformers and El84 tubes.

I will argue this.

Guitar, speaker, tube vs solid state, type of room/floor/stage all have as much to do with frequency response as power.

• Members

I will argue this.

Guitar, speaker, tube vs solid state, type of room/floor/stage all have as much to do with frequency response as power.

OK a gorilla has better bass response than a plexi:D

• Members

Okay, how about how many watts do you need if your gear isn't mic'd. Maybe 3 watts works for you, my friend, but I'm talking about wattage for small-to-medium venues as well as practice. Unless you mic everything when you practice?...

Seems like a hella hassle to me.

For practice? Maybe 5-10 watts. If I use a 15-20 watt tube combo for practice,it is barely one. For gigging? Are you kidding,playing a show w/o miking? I would never do that,it makes no sense. I use a Mesa 45 Nomad and either a 2x12 or a 4x12 cab. Of course,our PA is up to about 9000 watts FOH.

• Members

Lets say your going for the minimum amount of wattage to get over a bass, another guitar, and a drummer. I'm talking rock music, so the drummer plays with energy and he plays pretty loud (as opposed to refined like in jazz or something like that where dynamics are actually used). Since everyone says tube and SS are different, how many watts tube and how many SS?

It's not always about power, Bro.

It's about tone!

A 100 watt Marshall "sounds" different from a 20 or a 50 watt.

Keith

• Members

My point wasn't from the listeners perspective. Which is where you are coming from.

It's from the player and how *HE* perceives the wattage.

Got it?

A player will notice the difference when he kicks in the lead channel/overdirve channel, especially.

The point is that LOUDNESS isn't the sole consideration in wattage rating.

And I have already said that there are other factors such as genre, room/stage/ drummer, etc.

The original post is asking about what is enough sheer volume to be heard not the tonal difference between difference wattage amps. That is his sole consideration. This is why I threw in my "pretty stat" as you say about the actual decibel difference between a 100 and 50 watt amp. Stay on topic and your post might make more sense.

Archived