Which Korg Synth?

louloomis

• Members

Hi. I would like to buy a relatively modern used Korg synth that has these properties:

1. Costs under $500.00 used.

2. Works well as a midi controller.

3. Does not necessarily have an onboard sequencer (I use PC software).

4. Has aftertouch.

5. Is essentially sample-based (a rompler, if my understanding is correct).

6. Has tons of great onboard sounds (and easily found sounds elsewhere). I don't need much "synthesizer" power.

Thanks so much. I'm new to keyboards and could really use some guidance.

Regards,

LouLoomis

• Members

Personally, I'd go for a Trinity. They're cheap and sound great. You only get 32 voice polyphony, though - and a choice as to whether or not you'd consider a synth from the nineties 'relatively modern.' :)

Also, the big touch screen on them is nice, but I remember it as being a little slow. Bottom line, though: It's Korg's best sounding rompler - in my opinion.

• Members

Personally, I'd go for a Trinity. They're cheap and sound great. You only get 32 voice polyphony, though - and a choice as to whether or not you'd consider a synth from the nineties 'relatively modern.'
:)

Also, the big touch screen on them is nice, but I remember it as being a little slow. Bottom line, though: It's Korg's best sounding rompler - in my opinion.

Spot on.

I think this board would be perfect, but if you want to use it as a master keyboard, its worth hunting out a 76 key version, which i think you might 'just' scrape with your budget

spd_20080419145411_b.JPG

• Members

I'm new to keyboards and could really use some guidance.

Why do you need a Korg keyboard specifically?

2. Works well as a midi controller.

No workstation does; all those top of the line keyboards still have relatively few sliders and knobs (it took until the M3, Motif XS and Fantom G to change that).

3. Does not necessarily have an onboard sequencer (I use PC software).

Korg used to have 2 product lines - the upper and lower. The lower used an older form of synthesis for the longest time (AI

• Members

I was just offered an 01/Wpro (76 key version of the 01/Wfd plus a much better piano) for $350. Also included a case, stand, and amp.

So the deals in your price range exist. Keep an eye on craigslist...

-Mc

• Members

I was just offered an 01/Wpro (76 key version of the 01/Wfd plus a much better piano) for $350. Also included a case, stand, and amp.

So the deals in your price range exist. Keep an eye on craigslist...

-Mc

Nice board with great sounds. My only beef is lack of resonant filter on AI2.

Had the rack version for a short time, and I was very impressed.

+ 1 for the Trinity recomendation. I also had a TR Rack for a while, and was floored with it's sounds. Don't know why I didn't keep it......And it DOES have the resonant filter.

• Members

i have an O1W/fd used it for over 15 years (bought it brand new). its got some good 'warm' sounds but there are other keyboards that are more advanced. the main reason i kept it was for wave shaping which is a form of distortion that can create sounds unlike any other rompler imo the only other korg synth that has it to my knowledge is the oasys, dunno about the others in the O series. the motif might also suit your needs... *edit: or the jv series by roland i just played around with a jv1080 today it was so 90s but the bigger brothers to that unit sound great (think xv-5080)

• Members

Don't narrow your choice to just one brand.

I'm targeting Korg because I've owned synths by other companies (and still do) and all the people whose sounds I admire use Korg gear, which I don't use right now. Hence my choice of korg.

Thanks.

LouLoomis

• Members

Prog and fusion and stuff like that, yeah.

I know there are Yamahas and Rolands out there, too, but I seem to have seen a pattern in relatively recent years with Korg gear being some of the main instruments for Tony Banks, Keith Emerson, etc. so I figured I'm hearing something that I like.

Thanks again.

LouLoomis

• Members

Triton LE has weaker keybed (read - it's bad) and has 4 insert effects less than a normal Triton. This means you're gonna have trouble in Combination mode where several sounds overlap and use different effects, which is actually often used in prog when creating different new timbres.

I'd advise not to get LE. Touchscreen is not in question, the IFX are.

• Members

Why do you need a Korg keyboard specifically?

No workstation does; all those top of the line keyboards still have relatively few sliders and knobs (it took until the M3, Motif XS and Fantom G to change that).

Korg's combi mode is an excellent "midi controller" function, albeit different from having sliders/knobs.

I would recommend 01w,Trinity. Clean, sounds good, cuts thru mix very very well.

I wouldn't recommend X series, N series. Noisy output

• Members

DO NOT mess with the Triton le, garbage, you can get the Triton Classic for $500 now a days if you look out for them, they are out there....., I would even avoid the TR and keep your mind on the Triton, it really is a beast in addition to the fact it is expandable but you will be hard pressed to find a good master controller out there for $500.00.

I also saw a nod for the 01/W pro not a bad board, it was the 2nd keyboard I ever purchased (long summers mowing grass and working at Foot Locker to save up for that one) and my first serious board, no pun intended DW8000 :lol:

Archived