Rhodes Mark 7 update

• Members

The smallest model? Well, if they had released this Rhodes 10 or even 5 years ago, I could see that the sound quality would justify a purchase for many people. Nowadays, I'm not so sure... There are many viable alternatives that will work better than a real Rhodes for most people. That being said, I'm gassing a bit for the black 73 with preamp... ;)

• Members

at 2 grand, i was willing to forgo the ethical problems of buying something from that guy.

at 3 grand, i'll stick with a vintage instrument and keep my pride.

at 3 grand i can buy a vintage rhodes and a new red DSP stage thing when they pull their head out of their ass about sample loading.

• Members

at 2 grand, i was willing to forgo the ethical problems of buying something from that guy.

at 3 grand, i'll stick with a vintage instrument and keep my pride.

at 3 grand i can buy a vintage rhodes and a new red DSP stage thing when they pull their head out of their ass about sample loading.

Isn't the sample loading thing taken care of w/ the E3?

• Members

Isn't the sample loading thing taken care of w/ the E3?

no. it's full retard because of an artificially-imposed memory segregation between "piano" files and "sample" files, which are basically the same thing.

anyway, when they've fully recovered from going full retard and allowed me to load a mix of my own samples and their "piano format" sample files into the Stage Compact without artificial memory segregations i'll buy one.

i should point out that i had a discussion about this with someone from Clavia (oh, i forgot they went full retard on that as well and renamed themselves Nord) which went rather well until i was able to successfully ascertain that this segregation of what should be a flat memory map was completely artificial, at which point they stopped responding to emails.

it wouldn't hurt to just admit "look man, marketing told us we needed to be totally stupid about this. i'm sorry. you're just going to have to admit that sometimes people who don't know anything about engineering or music make decisions about digital instruments people who play music are able to purchase."

• Members

Memory racism?
:confused:

totally. it's not nearly as bad as the time those Chicago skinheads beat up my mom's van because i play black music, but it still bothers me.

i'd still like to find those {censored}ers and beat the {censored} out of their cars and see how they feel about it.

• Members

Clavia need to sort this out. I pointed it out in my recent review of the NE3 for Future Music. You CANT have a flagship without all the best features. The number of stage users i know that are fuming about this is huge. When you pay for a premium product you expect the premium package of features AND not to be left out in the cold. The only reasons for not putting these features in the stage that i can work out are based on marketing decisions so people will buy the NE3 and the stage. 'you need to have both' type thing.....! Dont get me wrong i love Clavias products but their ethos is becoming a little like Apples..ie artificially cripple certain products to force people to have to buy both things. In the end it just makes for confusion and cheesed off users that otherwise would have been faithful to the brand. Loyalty counts for a lot these days.

Surely all we need is Clavia to make a .wav to nord piano format converter programme and we could load in the samples into the stage..surely thats not too difficult? People would still buy the NE3 as its at a lower price point than the stage anyway!

Thoughts?

:idea:

• Members

Surely all we need is Clavia to make a .wav to nord piano format converter programme and we could load in the samples into the stage

well they already have a sample editor. they could just allow you to save a sample as a "piano sound"

the sample editor is obviously based on or derivative of what they use internally for making "piano sounds" ... they probably just emasculated it for public consumption.

anyone remember the 486SX chip? it was the same thing as the 486DX but with the math coprocessor turned off.

• Members

i don't know about where y'alls live, but in the bay area you can get minty vintage rhodes for dirt cheap. it seems ridiculous to buy a new one considering the originals are a dime a dozen and parts are easy to come by.

• Members

anyone remember the 486SX chip? it was the same thing as the 486DX but with the math coprocessor turned off.

That's because the 'math coprocessor' (FPU) was defective. It allowed Intel to sell chips that would have otherwise been useless defects, but the technical differences were public knowledge and the chips were sold at a lower price.

If testing showed that the central processing unit was working but the FPU was defective, the FPU's power and bus connections were destroyed with a laser and the chip was sold cheaper as an SX; if the FPU worked it was sold as a DX.

[...]

Some systems allowed the user to upgrade the i486SX to a CPU with a FPU. The FPU upgrade device was shipped as the i487, which was a full blown i486DX chip with an extra pin. The i487 was installed in an upgrade socket and the extra pin was either a power or ground pin that indicated that the i487 was installed. That signal was used to disable the i486SX when the i487 was installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486SX

Also a clever way to sell 2 CPUs to a few customers... ;) All that said, these kind of issues that I hear about with Nord are certainly playing an influence on my interest in their hardware. I hope they figure it out with these weird limitations and come to some arrangement that appeases the demand for real drawbars (is there some reason they couldn't have both the buttons and drawbars? Buttons could replace a set of drawbars for each manual and be useful for presets, and a set of real drawbars could be added for each manual and be assigned to a 'live hammond' mode.) because they make some nice sounding and feeling instruments.

So back on topic, the Mark 7 is more expensive now, that is truly great, have they shipped a single unit? Or made any further statement about availability? It's been so long, but it seems like they really are doing it and so, perhaps, it could be any day now...

• Members

I believe the SX also lacked a cache. It was the "cheap" 486.

Correct, but I still managed to get X-Wing vs Tiefighter to work on one.

I remember the arguments about the DX-50 being superior to the DX2-50 & 66 or something :lol:

• Members

Correct, but I still managed to get X-Wing vs Tiefighter to work on one.

I remember the arguments about the DX-50 being superior to the DX2-50 & 66 or something
:lol:

Is this the part where we start talking about who's more Old School than who? :lol: My first PC-compatible was a 386-33, and I won't count the Atari ST or C64 before that.

• Members

Is this the part where we start talking about who's more Old School than who?
:lol:
My first PC-compatible was a 386-33, and I won't count the Atari ST or C64 before that.

:lol: I missed all the Amstrad CPC, 286, 386 period. I was studying 3D computer animation mainly on Amigas. Before that, it was CBM Pet (aka Deep Thought), ZX81, Dragon 32, Texas Instruments Ti99, Oric etc etc

....wait, I found an MSX in the loft the other day (not the Yamaha one) :facepalm:

• Members

The smallest model? Well, if they had released this Rhodes 10 or even 5 years ago, I could see that the sound quality would justify a purchase for many people. Nowadays, I'm not so sure... There are many viable alternatives that will work better than a real Rhodes for most people. That being said, I'm gassing a bit for the black 73 with preamp...
;)

I am gassing as well but cannot agree that todays romplers (i.e. Motif ES/XS. M3. PC3, Nord Stage, Electro) are exact alternatives, they are good simulators but do not capture the exact character or essemce of the real Rhodes. After watching the Jeff Lorber and George Duke video man I am psyched but wondering why would they set the pricing soooo high they are loosing allot of potential market......

• Members

I am gassing as well but cannot agree that todays romplers (i.e. Motif ES/XS. M3. PC3, Nord Stage, Electro) are exact alternatives, they are good simulators but do not capture the exact character or essemce of the real Rhodes. After watching the Jeff Lorber and George Duke video man I am psyched but wondering why would they set the pricing soooo high they are loosing allot of potential market......

A real instrument is always (with exceptions) nice to play. I've owned 5 or 6 Rhodes pianos (currently 2), and I'm a huge fan of the sounds and stylings. But, having gigged for years with nothing but a Rhodes, a Phaser and an amp, my Muse Receptor with the Scarbee samples is a very nice lightweight alternative... ;)

Archived