Valve King & Penta

Buckeyedog

• Members

Played a VK and a Penta yesterday for a few minutes. Granted it was at a store so not much volume. Anyway, the VK was just ok for me. I like my Classic 30 quite a bit better. Sounded kind of small I guess and felt a little cheap. To be fair, my 30 has different tubes and a Red White & Blues speaker.

Now the Penta I was really quite impressed with. 3 or 4 of the settings sounded really good to me. The mud flap girl one wasn't so hot. They have two of the setting dials.....one on front and one on back so you can footswith between two of the five settings which is pretty cool. This could be the plexi and 800 in one amp I think. I don't have any experience with a real plexi, but it sounded like it could be real Hendrixy or the like. The crunched up Marshall channel rocked IMO. Of course I thought it even sounded good at low volume so I think it would really rock cranked up. I've seen some other dudes on here that were not impressed. To each his own, but I thought it sounded really good. Oh and it was with a Highway 1 Tele.

• Members

I agree, the mudflap girl sucked in my opinion. There were some great sounds on that thing though.

Hey, I used to live in Fairborn. I'm in the Air Force and was stationed there for a year. We are thinking of retiring there possibly. I was out that way earlier this year and hit Foy's and the guitar store there in town. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Romanian Reaper

Hey, I used to live in Fairborn. I'm in the Air Force and was stationed there for a year. We are thinking of retiring there possibly. I was out that way earlier this year and hit Foy's and the guitar store there in town.
:)

Cool! Yeah alot of folks make fun of the Dayton area, but I've lived here all my life and I like it. Gotta hit Foy's at halloween for sure! Then of course the music store is right there so I have to stop in there as well...I work down in Area B, where did you work on base??

I think maybe not having an effects loop might be a deal breaker for a lot of folks though.

• Members

Originally posted by Buckeyedog

Cool! Yeah alot of folks make fun of the Dayton area, but I've lived here all my life and I like it. Gotta hit Foy's at halloween for sure! Then of course the music store is right there so I have to stop in there as well...I work down in Area B, where did you work on base??

I think maybe not having an effects loop might be a deal breaker for a lot of folks though.

That's where I used to work, Area B!!! That is weird. I worked for Wright Labratory (still exist?) in the building next to the one where they test the transport aircraft tires. On the side closest to the museum. What area of Fairborn do you live in? We were looking at retiring around Beavercreek (Beaver Valley Road area).

Yeah, Foy's was unbelievable. People nationwide should check that store out. Very nostalgic for sure.

• Members

I live between Fairborn and Yellow Springs in the twin towers area. The Beavey Valley area is really nice and would be a perfect place to settle down in. We're actually looking to move over to around that area as well. I used to work contracting for the Labs, now I'm in pricing down in Bldg. 16 so I support all the SPO's. Man, keep in touch if you move back.

• Members

I live between Fairborn and Yellow Springs in the twin towers area. The Beavey Valley area is really nice and would be a perfect place to settle down in. We're actually looking to move over to around that area as well. I used to work contracting for the Labs, now I'm in pricing down in Bldg. 16 so I support all the SPO's. Man, keep in touch if you move back.

Thanks!

• Members

Played a VK and a Penta yesterday for a few minutes. Granted it was at a store so not much volume. Anyway, the VK was just ok for me. I like my Classic 30 quite a bit better. Sounded kind of small I guess and felt a little cheap. To be fair, my 30 has different tubes and a Red White & Blues speaker.

Now the Penta I was really quite impressed with. 3 or 4 of the settings sounded really good to me. The mud flap girl one wasn't so hot. They have two of the setting dials.....one on front and one on back so you can footswith between two of the five settings which is pretty cool. This could be the plexi and 800 in one amp I think. I don't have any experience with a real plexi, but it sounded like it could be real Hendrixy or the like. The crunched up Marshall channel rocked IMO. Of course I thought it even sounded good at low volume so I think it would really rock cranked up. I've seen some other dudes on here that were not impressed. To each his own, but I thought it sounded really good. Oh and it was with a Highway 1 Tele.

I played a Penta..Personally I think it sounded like a {censored}..Just lacked any punch.

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

What's the price on the Penta?

I think you can get them around $1150 or so. I think they list for $1499 or something like that.

Well, I didn't think it sounded like a {censored}, but like I said it was not much volume that I got to play it so to determine punch, I think I'd have to crank it up a bit. Maybe I'll give it another shot to see if it sounds like {censored}!

Archived