Peavey Triple XXX question.........

HurleyGuitarist9

• Members

Who here plays a XXX and plays metal or hardcore? Can this thing handle low tunings? Does it have enough volume. Some of the reviews on Harmony Central said it takes some tweaking to get a good amount of volume out of this head.........isn't it a 120 watts? Shouldn't this amp rattle your balls?

• Members

Originally posted by HurleyGuitarist9

Who here plays a XXX and plays metal or hardcore? Can this thing handle low tunings? Does it have enough volume. Some of the reviews on Harmony Central said it takes some tweaking to get a good amount of volume out of this head.........isn't it a 120 watts? Shouldn't this amp rattle your balls?

I just bought one. I gotta say that I've been through MANY amps in the past year, and this has the brutality I've been looking for.

I have no doubt it has what you need. Put an EQ in the loop, and adjust the FX levels to max out the volume.

My balls are sore...;)

• Members

In my amp quest I have owned 2 XXX's. I owned the head and xxx cab, and I owned the 212 combo version. I really wish I had kept ONE of them. Its a HARD amp to eq because they are active. The eq in the loop is almost definately needed. That amp can handle anything you throw at it. Wish I kept the combo.....

• Members

It will definately handle anything you throw at it. It's a great sounding amp once you get it dialed in the way you want. I play heavy metal in my band and have no problems being heard over the drums and getting the tones I want out of it.

I will be getting either an EQ in the loop or a BBE sonic maximizer to smooth it out a little. I also run a Boss SD-1 on the clean channel to get a nice AC/DC and Black Sabbath type crunch/distortion, so it's like a 4 channel amp now :D

• Members

I have a JSX and love it. Definately get an EQ to run in the loop. I suggest the MXR 10 band, turn up your loop settings and it will melt your face. In a band setting, I have my master on six and channel volumes just past one and the thing if very loud, crystal clear and it cuts like a bitch.

• Members

I do not care for the eq of the Triple XXX. The "Hair" and the "Bottom" to me just have a synthetic feel to them.

The overall Gain Structure of the "Ultra Channel" is not bad per say. Just left something to be desired. AS well and as this head is really cranked up, IMO the way the amp sounds to me anyway is again slightly choppy and uninspiring.

If you listen to the G3 video with Vai-Satcha and Yngwie Joe comes out first and is playing throughthe Triple xxx (This was prior to his own JSX model was put into production or even built at that point. Listen closely to how his pick attack sounds. It is harsh and trebly to me. Again, THis is just my opinion and I am sure I will catch hell fom all of yu Triple XX owners.

Dont get wrong. Overall the amp is not a {censored}box, however for $1,000 dollars I can see myself purchasing a JCM 800 circa 82' and a ANalogman TS9 pedal! for the same money. Of course I am staunch Marshall guy and I suppose I am spoiled rotten by the tone that a Marshall can get. It comes back to the eq section in particular. THe JCM 800 has a much more usable eq to me that just cuts through in the mix.

Dont be hattin!! Not every likes the Marshall JCM 800 either. I have seen threads in here that just tear the Marshall tone apart. Its all good though and you should play what you personally like in the end.

Does any one here like YNgwie s sound he gets with his Plexis and his DOD 250 pedal? I do!

• Members

Originally posted by Daneswede1

Dont be hattin!! Not every likes the Marshall JCM 800 either. I have seen threads in here that just tear the Marshall tone apart. Its all good though and you should play what you personally like in the end.

Does any one here like YNgwie s sound he gets with his Plexis and his DOD 250 pedal? I do!

Yngwie's tone isn't the greatest, so I wouldn't use IT as a point of reference for a "heavy" tone. To each his own - I sold an '87 JCM800 2205 on Ebay for $973, and bought my Triple XXX brand new for $769. I have NO regrets. The Marshall was nice, but, not as brutal as the Peavey..

BTW - I don't care for the EQ either, but I've dialed it in so-so, and balanced it nicely with the MXR 10-band. Plenty of mids, with real honk and bite.

They've been building and shipping them lately with Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's - if you find a store with a newer one, try it out.

• Members

ive owned a xxx amp since about late 2001 maybe early 2002 and i hated it! i FINALLY got rid of it just about 2 weeks ago! traded it in and put my money down on a 6505! i play low tunings like drop C and Drop B and the xxx cannot handle it! i think its not Tight enough! i dunno...i just hated that amp so much, it sounded so fxckin fizzy and to much high end, i hated the active EQ cuz i like to keep it simple..i dunno, i could go on and on! the clean channel was pretty good, i didnt really like the ultra and the fxckin thing had just wayyyy to much unusable gain! anyways im hoping that i will be much better with my new 6505 amp! i should have it within about a week!

• Members

^LOL!@!

I've had my Triple XXX since they first came out and I say it does low tunings just fine. But its been awhile since I've played it. It's a good amp but I've been playing the Savage 120 lately. Matter of fact I should try them in stereo.

The unusable gain is the part I dont use.:D But yeah the EQ is tricky. For a guilty plessure I sometimes scoop the mids.:D

• Members

i just got my XXX a few days ago and played it for maybe 10 hours. i play hardcore/doom/deathmetal/mathmetal stuff like hatebreed/crowbar/meshuggah. tuned to low A. mostly chunky palm muting stuff with lots of gain and bass. it really depends on what PU u use. i use 7string baritone guitars with EMG 81-7 and 707 and they sound killer !!!! it's the first tube amp where i just can plug in and play. really tricky EQ though, but if u spend a little time on the tweaking u will get brilliant sounds. i use a speaker-cab simulation in the FX loop so i have 4 sounds (crunch channel dry / wet and Ultra channel dry/wet) ......bad ass!!!!

• Members

What's funny to me in light of some of these comments, being that I have owned my Triple XXX for about 3 years, is that it sounds better(and definately more evil! :D ) as the tunings go lower. I use plenty of mids as well though, very important in low tunings with this amp, otherwise it will sound like mud.(duh! :D ) Retubing the amp with JJ's and a graphic or parametric EQ works wonders with this amp.

Midrange with this amp also plays a important part of it's volume. Due to the active nature of the EQ, the mids almost act as a secondary channel volume to the distortion channels. You have to have them at least at 12 to cut through the mix at high volumes IMHO. The master, channel, EFX loop send and return all play a crucial part of it's volume as well. The amp sounds best IMHO with the master up and the channel volumes down with the loop volumes near full blast to get full volume.

• Members

you guys know me way too well. Yes it can do metal and everything M-III said is right as usual. The Eq is active so therefore takes a lot of time to figure how the controls interact with each other i.e. turning up the mids also affects the highs and so forth. With some good tubes and a good cab (not a fan of the XXX cab) these amps can hang with the best of them out there and especially for metal. I'm not saying it is THE best amp on the market but I have only played a couple things I liked better and I have played a ton of gear. Do a search for the Peavey XXX lounge there is a ton of good info in there about how to dial these in and what tubes and whatnot to get. There are you guys happy now :)

Archived