OT: I can't believe it but I'm becoming a fender Strat guy

yngzaklynch

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by vlad

Love Strats... But there are better strats than what Fender makes... Anyway.. My biggest beef with strats and strat-like guitars is the single coil in the bridge. No matter what I do with my ESP Vintage Plus, the bridge pickup sounds wrong to me. I'll be putting in a Humbucker in there at some point. Other than that, I love everything about strats. The look, feel, single-coil in the neck... It's all good.

Brother Vlad try a Tone Zone S.

• Members

I find that I went the other way. All I played for years were Strats, but now my main guitars are a Les Paul and Dean V. The Strat just sits around and collects dust. I take it out sometimes just to change the strings and play it a bit, but then it goes back in the case.

I will admit that I do have a thing for Teles though... I need one.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

I want to be able to "feel" what I'm doing and with a strat I dont get that.

I hear ya. Though ironically, if you asked about a Strat player why they love Strats so much, they'd say because "I *can* feel what Im playing."

Though I guess the same would be true of hardcore Gibby LP players etc etc... :)

• Members

there are better strats than what Fender make.

i hear this all the time and I dont get it. I mean, sure there are some pretty disgusting Fenders out there but there are shitload of them in general, so there are going to be bad ones.

It actually reminds me of the whole "marshall reliability" threads of old.

Obviously Im not saying your opinion is wrong, nor would I would suggest it. But even after playing Anderson Strats, and Suhr strats, they just didnt "feel" the same to *me* as a Fender. They had sort of a stiff quality. Though the Suhr IMO was much better than the Anderson.. They both sounded excellent though.

G&L is the only Strats Ive played that felt like a Fender to me... :o

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

i hear this all the time and I dont get it. I mean, sure there are some pretty disgusting Fenders out there but there are shitload of them in general, so there are going to be bad ones.

It actually reminds me of the whole "marshall reliability" threads of old.

Obviously Im not saying your opinion is wrong, nor would I would suggest it. But even after playing Anderson Strats, and Suhr strats, they just didnt "feel" the same to *me* as a Fender. They had sort of a stiff quality. Though the Suhr IMO was much better than the Anderson.. They both sounded excellent though.

G&L is the only Strats Ive played that felt like a Fender to me...
:o

Well there are varying degrees of refinement. I did a side-by-side comparison between a MIA Strat and my ESP Vintage Plus. Contours of the body and neck are almost identical, but the ESP had a satin finish on the neck. It feels almost raw. The heel is contoured for better access. The fret work is cleaner. The pickups are great. Just a great strat...

As for the Marshall reliability... eh.. you know how I feel about it...

:D

• Members

Does it sound like a full-sized TZ?

Close but still has a slight straty vibe to it. Like I said I love it. For me it does exaclty what I needed it to. Beefs up the guitar to metal/shred tones. Very full and fat yet clear with tons of harmonics.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Mine has the polyester satin finish which is what yours has I believe. Feels great!

Werd! Its not ridiculous gloss like my CS Tele. Its a nice smooth, but not sticky, finish.

They are fast playing guitars fo' sho'. :)

• Members

You know, Ive never once tried a Dimarzio pickup... I dont think Ive even played someone elses guitar with one! I might try that. Thanks for the suggestion!

:)

You have.

;)

EDIT: Call me when you have time, bitz.

I got a new phone and it's da shizzitch.

;)

• Members

Thats awesome. My Strat has those exact specs as well. So, ugh, there!
:p

Well there ya go!

They looked at an improved design and improved their design... perfect...

But I think strats are some of the most comfortable playing guitars ever. The good ones... when they're lousy... they're really lousy... :D

Kinda like Marshalls.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Close but still has a slight straty vibe to it. Like I said I love it. For me it does exaclty what I needed it to. Beefs up the guitar to metal/shred tones. Very full and fat yet clear with tons of harmonics.

Well I'll have to exhaust all the single-coil-sized options before I go having the guitar routed.

I'll have to check it out... I like the TZ alot.

• Members

Well there ya go!

They looked at an improved design and improved their design... perfect...

But I think strats are some of the most comfortable playing guitars ever. The good ones... when they're lousy... they're really lousy...
:D

Kinda like Marshalls.

Ill definitely agree with you there. :cool:

• Members

Ill definitely agree with you there.
:cool:

Very inconsistent guitars... I've played MIA strats that were awful and MIM that were fantastic. I think with ESP, G&L, Suhr and Anderson(You better for that kinda dough!) you get consistently good 'strats'.

• Members

Very inconsistent guitars... I've played MIA strats that were awful and MIM that were fantastic. I think with ESP, G&L, Suhr and Anderson(You better for that kinda dough!) you get consistently good 'strats'.

About 2 years ago my local store got a Japanese Fneder Strat that had a flames maple neck. They said they never see those, very rear. If I see another I'll try it. Slap some Dimarzios in it if it's half decent.

Archived