Joey Harrington got hosed

fuzzball

• Members

Originally posted by PlayboyChris

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. When Mooch brought in his boy from the 49ers, everyone knew damn well Harrington's days as the starter were numbered. I took one look at the schedule and said "if we're not a resounding 2-0 going into the bye week having played two divisional foes, you can expect Garcia to be the starter for game three." Of course, the broken leg nixed that.

That said, Joey and the Lions got rooked badly in Tampa Bay. Sorry, but there was no conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field that Pollard had scored a touchdown. That was an Elway-esque 4th-quarter comeback drive led by Harrington that was torpedoed by the replay official, who in the process may have torpedoed Joey's career in Detroit.

I agree that call was BS, that should have been a W in the books and Joey proved he could get the ball moving down the field when the offense actualy got off their lazy buts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by zac102

If you want to talk about getting hosed by officials, just watch the Michigan/PSU and Michigan/Iowa games. The officials decided the outcome of those games, not the players.

How so? I don't know what you're talking about in the PSU game at all, and the Iowa game had bad calls both ways. Iowa just lost. Plain and simple.

On Harrington, think of this... 2 plays go the Lions way and they're 5-1. The Pollard call should not of been overturned and in the Carolina game if the guy from the practice squad would of caught that out route for the first down they would have been in field goal posistion. Hanson is money.

I think Mooch should go, and the recievers need to step it up.

• Members

I hate to say it but I think we will see Garcia look like crap agains the Bears. The browns did not have a great defense, so now lets see if he can actualy do any better than Joey.

Cory S back in the game makes a big addition to the running game. Which is one thing Joey never had the luxuary of having. I think the deck was stacked against him, especialy with the coach wanting his 49er buddy back.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

Exactualy, what can you do when you are surrounded by people that don't even try or act like they care. I think the change will help spark the team, but I know Joey was better than that.

I agree. WRs and O-line should be flat-out ashamed of themselves. It could have been an outright mutiny, in which case it's obviously much easier to scrap one guy than seven or eight guys. But "mutinies" are a big middle finger to the fans, who pay big bucks to watch this crap.

• Members

The Lions have drafted WRs, but those guys have missed bunches of games and isn't one of them in a bit of trouble and been suspended? Drafting WRs that high in the draft does not mean they will be great. Many of the top WRs like Rice, Owens, Harrison, Chris Carter, that TE Gates in SD and many others are middle round guys that no one expected to be good. That RB Jones has missed a whole lot of games.

Detroit should have stocked up on their offensive line. If you have a young QB, you have to have guys up front that can block.

Harrington may still be a bust, but I would not be suprised if he ends up someplace and gets good either. Considering Jeff Garcia is pretty fragile anymore, I think it is entirely possible Harrington will get another chance this year.

• Members

I hope he does, I hope he comes back and kicks ass, but then again the o line will probibly sit on their hand out in the field to screw him over again.:mad:

I think he will probibly go to another team for a backup and he will shine if he gets a real chance.

As mentioned the new recieving core has been less than healthy or productive and Jones has not been 100% since day 1.

• Members

You can just tell that Joey has no respect or control of the team. He just looks like the good guy who has no balls or the team just doesn't think he is more than a pretty guy! I mean last week when he played the center was absolutly going off on him and he just stood there...didnt give it back or stand up and tell him that he screwed up! Just doesnt have the balls to take charge...may be good at having a upbeat attitude but has no ability to cut thru the pissing, moaning and bull{censored} on his own!

• Members

That was a load of crap, he should have fired back on that, they had no reason to go off on him expecialy since they hadent done their job all season. You are right I think he needed to stop shouldering the blame and start going off on the O line. SOmetimes you just have to be the bad guy.

• Members

Originally posted by SkyhighRocks

Harrington has had too much of a chance...what's it been? 4 years? I'm sorry...sit down or try on another team. He doesn't have "IT".

No Qb comes in during his rookie year and does well, unless a team already has all the cogs in place, and the QB position isn't as critical.

Case and point: Rothlesburger and the Steelers.

Run oriented team, with a hellacious line and defense, and some pretty good WR's.

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball

I hope he does, I hope he comes back and kicks ass, but then again the o line will probibly sit on their hand out in the field to screw him over again.
:mad:

I think he will probibly go to another team for a backup and he will shine if he gets a real chance.

As mentioned the new recieving core has been less than healthy or productive and Jones has not been 100% since day 1.

A good example, is the #3 WR on the team has more catches than the #1 and #2 and #4. That reciever, is now out with a blown Achillies (Kevin Johnson)

Yep, lots of production from our top 10 draft picks over the past 3 years.

• Members
Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

Uh, I don't know what Joey Harrington you're talking about but the one I'm seeing has a 55 QB rating!

Certainly looks the part but then, so did Ryan Leaf.

:rolleyes:

QB rating is something that gets blown way out of proportion.

It should be called "Team Passing Effectiveness Rating" - since it depends on so many factors.

• Members

Originally posted by Zakko

No, you have to be the guy to get it DONE.

Even Barry Sanders couldn't get it done by himself, nor could Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Elway, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan Mcnabb, Donte Culpepper, Trent Dilfer, Brett Farve....

• Members

Originally posted by Tubesteakfortone

You can just tell that Joey has no respect or control of the team. He just looks like the good guy who has no balls or the team just doesn't think he is more than a pretty guy! I mean last week when he played the center was absolutly going off on him and he just stood there...didnt give it back or stand up and tell him that he screwed up! Just doesnt have the balls to take charge...may be good at having a upbeat attitude but has no ability to cut thru the pissing, moaning and bull{censored} on his own!

Funny, I saw him in preseason ripping players for not going where they should be.

Besides, it's not his job to control the team - it's the coaches.

Mooch just "let it go on" and didn't do anything to stop it. Fact is, Mooch has had it against Harrington from the beginning.

Sad how {censored}ty politics play into it.

• Members

I'm am Oregon alum....the 2001 season was one of the greatest seasons of college football I've ever experienced as a fan. Going to games was such a treat, especially with the confidence that everyone had in Joey Harrington.

When he was drafted by Detroit, I can tell you that there were a lot of Oregon fans that became closet Detroit fans...buying Harrington jerseys, watching Detroit games (as painful as that has been)....but all rooting for Joey and hoping that he succeeded.

He's had several tough years.....struggled through the normal rookie issues, had his team decimated by injuries, etc. But this was his year....we all knew it....no excuses this year for Joey. He had receivers, a good coach...although that O-line couldn't block my 8 year old son from getting to the QB. He didn't deliver...and as much as we wanted him to do well, he just didn't deliver. He's had ample time to turn it around and just hasn't.

Joey will always be known as one of the greatest QB's at Oregon and will get free beers at any bar in Oregon....but he just hasn't been able to make the transition to the NFL.

• Members

Originally posted by HottKarl

I'm am Oregon alum....the 2001 season was one of the greatest seasons of college football I've ever experienced as a fan. Going to games was such a treat, especially with the confidence that everyone had in Joey Harrington.

When he was drafted by Detroit, I can tell you that there were a lot of Oregon fans that became closet Detroit fans...buying Harrington jerseys, watching Detroit games (as painful as that has been)....but all rooting for Joey and hoping that he succeeded.

He's had several tough years.....struggled through the normal rookie issues, had his team decimated by injuries, etc. But this was his year....we all knew it....no excuses this year for Joey. He had receivers, a good coach...although that O-line couldn't block my 8 year old son from getting to the QB. He didn't deliver...and as much as we wanted him to do well, he just didn't deliver. He's had ample time to turn it around and just hasn't.

Joey will always be known as one of the greatest QB's at Oregon and will get free beers at any bar in Oregon....but he just hasn't been able to make the transition to the NFL.

Honestly, as bad as the OLINE was, I'd have to say that new "scheme" that was installed by their oline coach, is what Mooch ordered, once they secured Garcia, knowing the OLINE couldn't do it.

Now with Harrington out, watch everything come together, and we finish with a strong season. Harrington has the tools and ability (mentally and physically) to be a starter on nearly any team in the NFL.

As much as I hate to say it - watch him go to Greenbay / Chicago, and beat the crap out of us 2x a year until he retires.

• Members
Originally posted by kannibul

As much as I hate to say it - watch him go to Greenbay / Chicago, and beat the crap out of us 2x a year until he retires.

Ha Ha.:D

You never know though....for chrissakes, my beloved Steelers had Charlie F--KIN Batch playing this year.

• Members
Originally posted by HottKarl

Ha Ha.
:D

You never know though....for chrissakes, my beloved Steelers had Charlie F--KIN Batch playing this year.

Former Lion....

Also regarded as the "Savior" of the team, replacing Scott Mitchell.

When Charlie got hurt, the fans CHEERED, because that meant the next Savior was going to take the field. (If I remember it was Mike McMahon)

:cry:

I hate my fellow fans.

• Members
Originally posted by Shawn Lutz

Give up on the Lions and you'll have better Sunday's. They suck and will always suck as long ast the ownership remains in the same family.

Become a Red Wing or a Piston fan, you have a better chance of winning over the Tigers and Lions
:)

Hey, why change anything when the fans are stupid enough to pay money just to boo your QB.

Who cares if we win - I'm still making money...

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

During at least 50% of those games...who did he have at WR? Who did he have at HB?

About the only QB as crappy or crappier then Joey is Carr.

I can make all kinds of excuses for Carr, but the bottom line is that he sucks too.

Archived