Anyone into Sunn o))) ?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I told this guy I was looking for something like Jesu, and he took me to Sunn 0)))'s "Black One" saying I'd like it if I liked droning stuff... holy {censored} this music is dark... anyone a fan of these guys? I'm kind of digging them, and I like dark music, but this stuff is pretty bleak...

I wish I would have picked this up before holloween, I could have saved money on candy because not a damn kid would have walked up to my doorstep with this stuff on...

Are all thier albums this apocalyptic?

• Members

(shrug) all i really know about them is that the Melvins' worst bassist ever is a founding member.

in fact... if you want something somewhat similar, but WAY better, go get some old Melvins albums. start with the one i named myself after, if you want to hear sludgy, Melvins are the ticket.

• Members

I just saw them a couple days before Halloween. I didn't notice any ebows anywhere.

Also, unless I'm mistaken the "Melvins' worst bassist ever" had nothing to do with founding them. Sunn is Greg Anderson and Stephen O'Malley. I'm assuming that bullhead is referring to Joe Preston, but he's not a founding member. He has appeared on a couple albums, though.

If you're into sludgey, droning doom, I would recommend checking out these bands:

- ASVA
- Boris
- Earth (absolutely essential)
- 5ive
- Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
- Thrones (Joe Preston)
- YOB

• Members

I wish I would have picked this up before holloween, I could have saved money on candy because not a damn kid would have walked up to my doorstep with this stuff on...

i played Sleep's "dopesmoker" album on halloween. that song is like 60+ minutes long. you should check them out as well as matt pikes other band High on Fire, if not already.

• Members

I have a ritual of playing Abruptum on halloween. I have 2 of their CD's, I don't know if you can even call them music. But it's EERIE!!! A member of marduk and a midget wearing corpsepaint are the only members of the band. Check them out if you're in to senseless evil sounding noise. GREAT background music.

• Members

Truth be told, I'm not really into the whole drudging doom, I liked the melodic meandering nature of Jesu, but the whole druid outfits and singers locked into caskets and hearses is a bit too far... I'm diggin it mainly now for the novelty, I'm not sure this is something I'll think about popping in later on down the road...

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

Dude.

Come on.

Ambient music is okay but that {censored} is just gay. One note ebowed out into infinity is not music.

Exaggeration.

EVH sucks.

Originally posted by Chris Nuccio

Suprisingly no ebows for sunn 0)))) just old rats in to loud ass Model T's. I saw 'em last week.

Is the name Sunn, just kind of a tribute to the amps, since they use them and all? I know Khanate rocks Sunn too. So does Cave In, even though they're not like them.

Anyways, Jesu is badass. I dig that genre, but Sunn and Khanate are really at the bottom of my list when it comes to that kind of music. Isis is just in a class of their own.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

Also, unless I'm mistaken the "Melvins' worst bassist ever" had nothing to do with founding them. Sunn is Greg Anderson and Stephen O'Malley. I'm assuming that bullhead is referring to Joe Preston, but he's not a founding member. He has appeared on a couple albums, though.

yeah, that's my bad. i thought he was a founding member for some reason.

• Members

Originally posted by Shred For Sale

Is the name Sunn, just kind of a tribute to the amps, since they use them and all? I know Khanate rocks Sunn too. So does Cave In, even though they're not like them.

Well, I think it works on multiple layers. While Sunn O))) is a tribute to the amps, it is also a Earth-worship band who happened to use Sunn O))) amps.

Also, you have the Earth and "Sun", as in celestial objects. I don't know if this is genuine at all though.

I like them for what they are.

• Members
Originally posted by TechMetalMan

The song I have heard from Sunn O)))'s Flight of the Behemoth was real cool.

Not really something to listen to perse---more like music to HEAR or have wash over you-

supposedly if you have better speakers you hear more low end detail or something *shrugS*

Yeah...it's not for everyone, but niether is catchy choruses and weeedly-weedly-wee.

There's more then one reason to listen to music. :cool:

• Members

I keep going back to "it took the night to believe" but thats about the only thing that stuck with me... I'm really not into the ultra bleak stuff, I was definitely going for more of the Jesu type thing... how's his other band? it was called Godflesh or something right?

Archived