A new Gibson or a small-builder Custom Guitar?

SHIVmongrel

• Members

just curious, but what would you fellows choose between these:

1) Gibson ES-335 '59 RI (+- $2600 used)

2) Gibson LP Custom in white (+-$2000 used)

3) Custom-designed and built one-off from scratch to your excact specifications (small-volume builder with a great selection of older wood with great build quality) (+-$2100)

i've pretty much made up my mind, just curious how my decision compares with you guys

:)

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

If I could get Caparison to make me a custom guitar for $2100, I'd be all over that.

My brother in law (dont want to say his name - his pic is on their web-site though) has a custom caparison. He gets them free. My brother said he'll see if he can get me one. Doubt he will though but....:p

• Members
Originally posted by SHIVmongrel

just curious, but what would you fellows choose between these:

1) Gibson ES-335 '59 RI (+- $2600 used)

2) Gibson LP Custom in white (+-$2000 used)

3) Custom-designed and built one-off from scratch to your excact specifications (small-volume builder with a great selection of older wood with great build quality) (+-$2100)

i've pretty much made up my mind, just curious how my decision compares with you guys

:)

The custom guitar will probably be better but i think i'd still get the Gibson custom because down the line i'd have no problem selling it and probably wouldn't loose a cent.

Could have trouble shifting your custom guitar (maybe) and might have to take a hit on it too.

• Members

originally posted by STEEL KAGE

You seriously need to get out more. 2100 for a caparison is plain old stupid, especially if you could only get bolt on.

That post makes no sense. I could get neck thru if I wanted, it's a custom model. I wouldn't even care if it was bolt on. A Custom Dellinger is my dream guitar. And what are you ragging on bolt on's for? You play bolt on's.

• Members

If the builder really does have good old tonewood, and you don't care about resale, I'd probably lean that way. But my problem with custom building in general (that your guy's wood selection might solve) is that, even the most amazing guitar, on paper, can be a tonal dud when it's actually done. And there's no way to know until it's done. At least with production guitars, you can sift through the piles and find one that sounds good.

• Members

That post makes no sense. I could get neck thru if I wanted, it's a custom model. I wouldn't even care if it was bolt on. A Custom Dellinger is my dream guitar. And what are you ragging on bolt on's for? You play bolt on's.

Didnt you say somewhere that the custom shop only offers bolt ons? I prefer boltons but I wont pay 2100 for one, EVER.

You may be a caparison Fanboy but I can name a bunch that are just as good if not better for less than 2100.

• Members

we are thinking alike:)

gibson has outstanding resale value, in my experience--and buying used increases that value...plus, i can choose an instrument based on the sound

i'd never be able to sell the custom for anything remotely near what i pay...but, the custom builder does indeed have some very, very nice wood--very stable and very nice sounding...i've played the base model from which mine would stem, and it is a great instrument before the tweaking i'd prefer

the custom-build isn't a les paul clone, but rather a unique design employing a chambered mahagony back with maple top and f-holes:)

• Members

"Better" = your opinion

Whatever Fanboy!!! how many have you played BTW? I seriously want to know because If youve never played one besides Sean's youre acting like a wee wee

Shiv, I like the custom Route myself , especially if you know exactly what you want

Kage

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

Whatever Fanboy!!! how many have you played BTW? I seriously want to know because If youve never played one besides Sean's youre acting like a wee wee

Shiv, I like the custom Route myself , especially if you know exactly what you want

Kage

You enjoy beating your head against the wall?

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

You enjoy beating your head against the wall?

Nah, The guys just got a bad habit of judging things hes never played. To the best of my knowledge, hes only played one caparison and he used to rave about them before he even played one. Dont get me wrong, Its a great guitar but get real, Its derivative. Theres nothing special bout them save cosmetics when you get down to it. Now if he said something about liking the looks, well thats all well and good....

• Members

Theres nothing special bout them save cosmetics when you get down to it.

Yeah...I dont' get the big rave on those guitars either. If you like them for the looks then cool....I like Jacksons for that reason. But the way they play just doesn't agree with my hands. I've played at least 10.

• Members

Nah, The guys just got a bad habit of judging things hes never played. To the best of my knowledge, hes only played one caparison and he used to rave about them before he even played one. Dont get me wrong, Its a great guitar but get real, Its derivative. Theres nothing special bout them save cosmetics when you get down to it. Now if he said something about liking the looks, well thats all well and good....

My thoughts as well, for $1500 my GMW is as good as it gets imo and that includes the solid maple body. The Caps are nice guitars for sure but yeah without not playing the bolt on how can one make claims :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by ranalli

Yeah...I dont' get the big rave on those guitars either. If you like them for the looks then cool....I like Jacksons for that reason. But the way they play just doesn't agree with my hands. I've played at least 10.

Yeah man, theres Ibanezes, Jacksons, Esp's Schecters, GMW's etc...You can go on and on....

But then again Mike Amott plays Caparison.....:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Random Hero

Kage, for some reason, whenever I just catch a glimpse of your avatar, I think it is a picture of someone sitting an an igloo, wearing shades, reflecting late afternoon sun, with the sky and snow visible outside. Then I look at it.

No idea why
:freak:

Me neither Bro, thats the man, Robin Trower!!!!

Archived