Anyone use MicroKorg? good for Digital Hardcore/electro punk? noob here

• Members

nice i read about the roland 201 looks very nice....well i guess what am saying is. i dont exspect presets i dont want the thing todo it for me, ill do the work. i just want to know if its possible? if its idea....like.....i wouldent take an electro acoustic guitar to play in a death metal band...sure u can hook it up to a distort pedal but...eh....why? when theres a normal electric guitar sitting right next to it.....

get what am saying? are either of the two idea? for what am trying todo?

• Members

They're all decent synths that you can program yourself, so there's really not much differentiating them for the kind of music you're after, which doesn't line up very well with the conventional notion of synth "quality". The kind of sound you're after is so much about what you do with the synth, what you do with the recording, how angry you can look while eating an ice cream cone, etc. I think they're all capable of the sound you're after, it's the other factors (like the MK's mini keys) that you need to evaluate for yourself.

• Members

They're all decent synths that you can program yourself, so there's really not much differentiating them for the kind of music you're after, which doesn't line up very well with the conventional notion of synth "quality". The kind of sound you're after is so much about what you do with the synth, what you do with the recording, how angry you can look while eating an ice cream cone, etc. I think they're all capable of the sound you're after, it's the other factors (like the MK's mini keys) that you need to evaluate for yourself.

indeed thats why i had to point out am a noob, i know what i want todo just not how. and well as inever played with a synth i loved the sounds i hear coming out of them. its just out of those two i wanna hear from the people, cause unlike the states, if u buy something here? (mx) your stuck aint no one taking nothing back....

• Members

I think microkorg could work very well for that. I use mine mainly in dark electronica oriented stuff.

you think i can hear it sometime? i checked ur space but there was no music player......u have it somewhere online maybe?

• Members

There are no trance synths, there are no techno synths - it doesn't care what you do with it.

But there can be work flow issues that make certain synths more pleasing, painless and gratifying in general usuage terms for certain specific applications. For a novice, or somebody who needs to work relatively quickly to achieve a certain sound, those issues can be important. If you have the money and want, lets say, classic analogesque sounds specific to a certain genere, a nord will probably suit you better then a DX7 or a Casio rap man. An experienced user can coax a lot of variety out of any given synthesizer, but a lot of times, if you have the means to pick up an instrument more good to go for lack of a better term, it's not really worth the hassle. There's often more practical choices.

Also disagree with the sentiment of the synth not caring what you do with it. My Kurzweil K2500 is much happier in certain arenas as opposed to others, and that's after working with the K series for about nine years.

• Members

But there can be work flow issues that make certain synths more pleasing, painless and gratifying in general usuage terms for certain specific applications.

:thu: i seriously wish my radias had an "easy" mode, i may get one of those korg nano controller and program up some CCs just for this purpose, or maybe even buy an EMX1. JUst to get a groove going I allways turn to the EM1, it's just so easy to take one oscillator, amp envelope, filter and effects to get some really cool basslines. I look at the radias and it's so less immediate and gratifying to do the same thing. i tend to use it these days for deeper programming.

• Members

because a distorted synth sounds nothing like a distorted guitar.
:)

oh i was saying "why connect a Electro-Acoustic guitar to a distort pedal, when u can just connect a regular electric guitar"

the point was why use a microkorg, if the xiosynth is much suited for my music needs? of corse am still unsure about that....

i guess when it comes down to it, what would you guys reather use? ill be doing alot of editing and real time, fast changes on the effects. maybe have just a strong bass line going on the back ground.

so microkorg or xiosynth is my real question now that i have gotten an insite on everything else from reading around here.....

• Members

xiosynth all the way. more knobs = easier to edit. plus its got that nifty trackpad..

but yeah, pick up a distortion pedal too to use with the synth, if you dont already have one... it will help for the sound you are going for...

• Members

great info/replies guys many thanks.....yeah I like the way XioSynth sounds. now i just have to read up and figure out how todo everything. or at least the basics . ......am sure ill be around these forums asking dumb questions . but thanks for all the replies any other suggestions/tips (constructive) would be great

Archived