Eminence Private Jacks Vs. Celestion Greenbacks

vlad

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

LMAO!

DAMN that is one great sounding tone in the first clip! What guitar/amp are you using? The private jacks sound OK. Much too stiff though when compared to the greenbacks, not the same mojo.

Oh yeah... I'm an ass... The title ruins the surprise :freak::D

I'm using a parts guitar. Mahogany super strat. With a floyd, JB and PAF Pro in the neck. The amp is a 1971 Super Lead 100. I used a Sparkle Drive as a boost.

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

Greenies sounds best IMO...

I'd love to hear a rhythm clip of them...I love the greenies rhyhtm tone too.

The PJ's hold up pretty well in the mix... In person... Not even close.

The GB's wipe the floor with them

I'll do some more clips. Right now I have a certain 9 month old miss that is just itching to tear out my keyboard! :D

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

Oh yeah... I'm an ass... The title ruins the surprise
:freak::D

I'm using a parts guitar. Mahogany super strat. With a floyd, JB and PAF Pro in the neck. The amp is a 1971 Super Lead 100. I used a Sparkle Drive as a boost.

I've always thought the clips of the Sparkle Drive on the Voodoo Labs website sounded pretty frickin' cool. I've always wanted to try one out.

• Members

Both sound good. The PJs sound better in this clip than they did when put up against the CL80s. Is this the same clip, or did you re-record? It might be that I just like the CL80's tone better for this lead clip.

Also, were these two clips recorded from speakers in the same cab?

I'd also choose the GBs from those two clips, but it was VERY close!

Sounds good, man!

Drew

• Members

I've used Cele Greenbacks, Emi GB12s, and Emi Private Jacks in Classic 30s and Classic 50s and while the GB12 and PJacks are almost identical, the Celestion greenies are easily discernable from the other two (even though the GB12/PJ is a Greenback 'inspired' speaker) when listening live. The G12Ms don't have that top end 'openess' I've grown to like in the GB12/Private Jack, but they are smooother to most people's ears, and I can see how some people would prefer them.

It's subjective like most everything else tone-related.

Different strokes ... and all that. :D

Minh

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

Nice playing man.

Overall I like the Greenback's better. The PJ's sound more modern to me. The greenbacks just seem to have more character to the sound and just sound spot on for that clip.

Thanks man!

And the GB's work better with this particular amp. PJ's aren't bad at all, but I completely agree. They more modern-sounding.

• Members

Originally posted by Boogs

As much as I feel like a broken record always pumping Emi, I really do prefer the PJ clip. It's got a more focused sound than the Greenie that I like.

Maybe if the Greenback were broken in a bit more, I'd prefer it.

They PJ's are definitely not a bad speaker. I think the GB's suit this amp and my playing a bit more.

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

Both sound good. The PJs sound better in this clip than they did when put up against the CL80s. Is this the same clip, or did you re-record? It might be that I just like the CL80's tone better for this lead clip.

Also, were these two clips recorded from speakers in the same cab?

I'd also choose the GBs from those two clips, but it was VERY close!

Sounds good, man!

Drew

Thanks man! I re-recorded the PJ clip. I fussed around with the mic placement to get the best possible tone out of both speakers that way it's very accurate. I miked up the same cab with 2 SM57's and played to 2 tracks. Honestly, I think the GB's sound even better than the CL80's with this particular amp.

• Members

Originally posted by snakum

I've used Cele Greenbacks, Emi GB12s, and Emi Private Jacks in Classic 30s and Classic 50s and while the GB12 and PJacks are almost identical, the Celestion greenies are easily discernable from the other two (even though the GB12/PJ is a Greenback 'inspired' speaker) when listening live. The G12Ms don't have that top end 'openess' I've grown to like in the GB12/Private Jack, but they are smooother to most people's ears, and I can see how some people would prefer them.

It's subjective like most everything else tone-related.

Different strokes ... and all that.
:D

Minh

Absolutely... It's also a matter of amps. Super Leads (marshalls in general) really like Greenbacks.

Archived