tubes: boogie vs. JJ's & others

kihon

• Members

My used DC-3 may have a power tube going according to a tech at Mesa/Boogie. It sounds like someone is turning the treble knob low to high until the tone sounds real thin.

So, assuming this is the case, how do boogie tubes compare to JJ's or any other brands. I bought the amp used an was happy with the tone up until now.

Thanks.

• Members

Just a personal taste, I like the sed's along with jj in the preamp.

I still have the origionals and keep them as a set, Maby I'm nuts but the sed's sound a little tighter but still allows the amp the breath a bit more naturally? than with the stock tubes.

• Members
Originally posted by kjr44130

Just a personal taste, I like the sed's along with jj in the preamp.

I still have the origionals and keep them as a set, Maby I'm nuts but the sed's sound a little tighter but still allows the amp the breath a bit more naturally? than with the stock tubes.

6L6s? I bought a set beck when they were still Svetlana and never installed them. They've been in the dresser drawer for 4 years.

• Members
Originally posted by kihon

My used DC-3 may have a power tube going according to a tech at Mesa/Boogie. It sounds like someone is turning the treble knob low to high until the tone sounds real thin.

So, assuming this is the case, how do boogie tubes compare to JJ's or any other brands. I bought the amp used an was happy with the tone up until now.

Thanks.

I replaced the stock EL84's in my Nomad after about 1 1/2 years with JJ's and can't really say there was an improvement in tone. Not sure what the Mesa's were at the time. I like the E-H in the amp as well as the 7591's that I got from Lord Valve recently. Make sure you get power tubes that are tested to fit within the Mesa parameters.

• Members

The DC3 comes with rebadged Sovtek EL84s, always has. And not the ruggedized EL84M (which isn't a bad tube) either, just the cheapo standard issue Sovtek. Practically any other current production EL84 would be a step up, although if you opt for Ei's be sure to request a set selected for a lower current draw.

• Members
Originally posted by Marin Timmy

The DC3 comes with rebadged Sovtek EL84s, always has. And not the ruggedized EL84M (which isn't a bad tube) either, just the cheapo standard issue Sovtek. Practically any other current production EL84 would be a step up, although if you opt for Ei's be sure to request a set selected for a lower current draw.

Its kind of hard to find EI's that are in that area from what I've found.

• Members

I threw a quad of SED 6L6's in my RK and WOW!!!! :eek: Very nice tubes, exactly as kjr44130 described them. I tested them and found that they are running a tad warmer than the stock Mesa's, but still well within spec.

For preamp...I have a bunch of tubes and just keep swapping them until I hear something I like. That being said, I found it really hard to beat the Chinese 9th gen 12AX7's in V1. I like JJ's just about anywhere else.

• Members

Originally posted by Craggin

I threw a quad of SED 6L6's in my RK and WOW!!!!
:eek:
Very nice tubes, exactly as kjr44130 described them. I tested them and found that they are running a tad warmer than the stock Mesa's, but still well within spec.

For preamp...I have a bunch of tubes and just keep swapping them until I hear something I like. That being said, I found it really hard to beat the Chinese 9th gen 12AX7's in V1. I like JJ's just about anywhere else.

yep! i just retubed my triple rectifier with SED 6l6 and really liking them.

also put some 9th gen in the v1,v2, v3 slots, ended up not caring for them all that much. they seem to sterile for me, and don't have as much gain as my stock mesa tubes. i ended up putting a mesa spax7 back in the v1 and will probably change back on the v2 & v3 pretty quick. though might leave the 9th in the v2.

so guess i like mesa choice of preamp tubes more than thier power tubes.

Archived