Kawai K5000

• Members

The K5000 is a nice synth, if you can get your head around the complexities of additive synthesis. I've had mine (K5000s) for some years, and use it more for sound experimentation than for recording or composition. Its strength, in my opinion, is its aptitude for sonic weirdness.

Also, there's an out of print book by Wizoo (available in pdf online) that's good to have if you intend to own and program a K5000, or if you just want to learn additive synthesis.

• Members

I currently own two K5000s. Not sure which of the three you're talking about: K5000s (the best out of the bunch IMO), K5000w (with sequencer), or K5000r (a rackmount version of K5000s). They are true synthesizers, using additive synthesis where 128 harmonics (e.g. sinewaves) are superimposed.

They create sounds that very few other keyboards can emulate. Phenomenal frequency range, from woofer-busting bass to tweeter shearing highs. Very good dynamic range also. Like previous poster said, it's capable of some really, really weird sounds. Can also do very good pads, bells, mallets, organs, and EPs. Can create truly crystalline sounds. Unlike its' precursor the K5, the K5000s does not sound thin at all. The K5000s fares poorly with acoustic intrument sounds (obviously -- this thing is a true synthesizer, with no samples.)

Programming is very time consuming (1000+ parameters per patch), but not difficult if you understand the principle behind additive synthesis.

If you get the keyboard versions (K5000s or K5000w), you're treated to one of the best feeling 61-note keyboard ever made. Absolute joy to play on.

A common problem on the K5000 series is the main output jacks were not very well secured to the PCB, and the solder joints tend to break, causing intermittent sound or hum. If you're thinking about buying on, be sure to check it out fully. Not a difficult repair though.I

If you can find one cheap (used K5000s in good condition should be $500 or less), I definitely recommend it. Not your run of the mill keyboard, but a very specialized tool capable of giving you sounds that are truly unique.

• Members

this thing is a true synthesizer, with no samples.)

So, ermmm....

What would you call those interesting sounds you can mix in with the additive synth side - say the sounds in memory called something like "saxophone" or "Saw-wave"?

:D

• Members

I bought a K5000S when they came out and I really liked it a lot. I used it for about three years, but when the Korg Karma was released I HAD to have one and the only way I could afford it was to sell the Kawai, which I very reluctantly did. I figured that I would eventually find a good deal on a K5000R and get that. Well it took a few years because they are hard as hell to find and were still pretty expensive. But I did get one and I'll never sell it. It's an amazing synth. I had done a lot of tweaking on my K5000S and created a library of sounds on it. Fortunately, I had saved them on floppy discs and was able to load them into my K5000R.

I do ambient electronic/ new age music and this is one of the best synths around for creating ethereal, atmospheric sounds, evolving pads, and trippy sci-fi textures - totally unique. It's a shame they discontinued it and that Kawai has gotten out of the synth market all together - they made some great and affordable gear in their time. I remember talking to a Kawai rep back when the K5000 was in production and he was telling me that they were in development for a new model that had 76 keys and combined the realtime control features of the K5000S with the workstation features of the K5000W. Too bad it never saw the light of day.

But overall, an awesome synth and a tweakers delight. Definitely worth owning if you are looking for really unique sounds. Not that easy to find, but they do show up from time to time. There was a K5000W for sale for a long time on the SF Craig's List - around $450 I think. Not sure if it's still there or not.

• Members

So, ermmm....

What would you call those interesting sounds you can mix in with the additive synth side - say the sounds in memory called something like "saxophone" or "Saw-wave"?

Thanks for the correction. There are sampled waveforms, but they're not the main sound generating sources.

• Members

Thanks for the correction. There are sampled waveforms, but they're not the main sound generating sources.

As much as i like your approach to the meaning of synthesis* even i have experimented with patches that at their core consist of two or three sawwave samples :eek:

The point being that especially the formant filter and other modulation options can turn even these (rather boring) samples into something interesting - and as long as you are a "true" synthesist you will use any of the options given to you to see if there are new and interesting sounds to find. ;)

*As i understand you, not just replaying samples (or using a romplers capailities to modify samplebased presets slightly) but actually getting involved in the process of creating sounds from scratch...

• Members

the k5000s is the best of the 3, the keyboard has amazing action and the synth section is better than the w.

the k5000r is the next best especially if you get the rare knobby box with it.

the w is only if you cannot get the s or rack.

the w is extremely limited with only 2 additive oscs being mixable at once in a patch and you cannot mix the pcm samples with the additive oscs like you can in the s or r.

the k5000s/r has up to 6 oscs per patch any mix of pcm or additive based, the additive portion has 128 harmonics each with it's own envelope or lfo and 2 formant filters 1 for the first 64 harmonics and another for the 2nd set of 64. these can then be fed into a high or lowpass resonant filter and a 6 stage envelope controls the amp section on every osc section. in multi mode you could mix up to 4 patches. that's 24 oscs in multi mode of course it'd be monophonic at that point but what a note :) also the additivve section had a morph function, you could morph the sound from one osc to any other additive patch's additive osc settings.

• Members

only things about the k5000s that's negative are the knobs are not used for programming only live playing, if you tweak the knobs during programming you affect how it sounds but it will not store that sound only what's programmed independant of the knob positions. so if you tweak the knobs during programming you store a different patch than what your hearing.

another negative is the resonance settings are very strange and based off the previous kawai synths. settings of 0-7 for resonance, and the knob for resonance fine tunes the res level. if you set it to anything beyond 4 prepare to lose a tweater as it will make a horrendous squeal. put it on 3 however and you can use the knob and get normal resonance behaviour.

• Members

I know that was true at one time, but wasn't that fixed?

only things about the k5000s that's negative are the knobs are not used for programming only live playing, if you tweak the knobs during programming you affect how it sounds but it will not store that sound only what's programmed independant of the knob positions. so if you tweak the knobs during programming you store a different patch than what your hearing.

• Members

I own a K5000s, and while I love the concept and overall capabilities, I'm always left wishing for an extended high end (frequency-wise).

I've come across many patches that sound great on the lower octaves, but the synth is not capable of keeping similar harmonic content into the higher octaves. If you try and coax it, you run into major aliasing. If it weren't for that, I would spend more time with this synth.

Even with that limitation, it is still a nice synth though.

Archived