Questions About Classic 30

thomasmiranda

• Members

Well first of I found a NEW classic 30 for $400, Is that a good price (I think it is but what do you guys think)

Also, I have heard that on some tube amps you can remove half the power tubes and cut the wattage In half to get the amp to break Up at lower volumes, is this possible with the Classic 30?

what would be a good speaker to put in it? ( I play mainly classic rock and a little Joe Satriani )

What are good tubes for it and how much do decent tubes cost? ( just a ballpark figure )

Do I have to re-bias when I change tubes?

sorry if these are dumb questions but Im a newb so feel free to call me an idiot

any thoughts, suggesstions about this amp are also welcome as its a big purchase for me and I plan on using it for at least the next 3-4 years

thanks guys

• Members

Originally posted by thomasmiranda

Well first of I found a NEW classic 30 for $400, Is that a good price (I think it is but what do you guys think)

Also, I have heard that on some tube amps you can remove half the power tubes and cut the wattage In half to get the amp to break Up at lower volumes, is this possible with the Classic 30?

what would be a good speaker to put in it? ( I play mainly classic rock and a little Joe Satriani )

What are good tubes for it and how much do decent tubes cost? ( just a ballpark figure )

Do I have to re-bias when I change tubes?

sorry if these are dumb questions but Im a newb so feel free to call me an idiot

any thoughts, suggesstions about this amp are also welcome as its a big purchase for me and I plan on using it for at least the next 3-4 years

thanks guys

Yes, that is a good price.

No, you can't remove two tubes in a Classic 30. The output tubes are wired in series.

I would try the speaker and tubes out first before changing them. You may like them.

If not, I would try a new speaker first and then go for tubes if your still not satisfied. I would use JJ tubes. Should be in good shape on the bias. Speaker I'll let someone else ring in on that one.

• Members

Originally posted by Pepi

Yes, that is a good price.

No, you can't remove two tubes in a Classic 30. The output tubes are wired in series.

I would try the speaker and tubes out first before changing them. You may like them.

If not, I would try a new speaker first and then go for tubes if your still not satisfied. I would use JJ tubes. Should be in good shape on the bias. Speaker I'll let someone else ring in on that one.

Im not planing on changing the speaker or tubes right away just something I was cosidering doing down the line

thanks for the reply

• Members

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Nope, as Pepi said. ;)

My favorite speakers for it (that I've heard) have been: Eminence Wizard ($60-65 at tedweber.com) for great all-around tones (including classic rock), Weber Blue Dog (30-watt ceramic version) ($95 at tedweber.com) for classic rock tones, and the Eminence Stonehenge ($60-65 at tedweber.com) for darker guitars (perhaps a bit bright for single-coils and a Classic 30). Avatar also has great prices on the Eminences. In my book, the Wizard is the best bet - great speaker, amazing versatility, and LOUD...just make sure you break it in good, as Eminence speakers can start off a bit stiff.

JJ EL84s in the power section for great sound and reliability for about $30-35. For preamp tubes, I like either a couple of the *reissue* (not NOS) Tung Sol 12AX7s in the V1 and V2, or a couple of high-gain JJ ECC83S for more overdrive. The Chinese 12AX7 C9's are also good. For the Phase Inverter slot (closest to the power tubes), spend $20 for a Mullard CV4024 12AT7 - great tube, very reliable. For these tubes, I would go to
Doug's Tubes for a mixture of brands, or to Eurotubes if you go with all JJs (it's all he sells. The JJs for the preamp slots give it a slightly darker sound, but they are superb...a matter of taste.

You do NOT have to rebias the Classic 30, FYI.

peace,
David

• Members
Originally posted by Boogs

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Nope, as Pepi said.
;)

My favorite speakers for it (that I've heard) have been: Eminence Wizard ($60-65 at tedweber.com) for great all-around tones (including classic rock), Weber Blue Dog (30-watt ceramic version) ($95 at tedweber.com) for classic rock tones, and the Eminence Stonehenge ($60-65 at tedweber.com) for darker guitars (perhaps a bit bright for single-coils and a Classic 30). Avatar also has great prices on the Eminences. In my book, the Wizard is the best bet - great speaker, amazing versatility, and LOUD...just make sure you break it in good, as Eminence speakers can start off a bit stiff.

JJ EL84s in the power section for great sound and reliability for about $30-35. For preamp tubes, I like either a couple of the *reissue* (not NOS) Tung Sol 12AX7s in the V1 and V2, or a couple of high-gain JJ ECC83S for more overdrive. The Chinese 12AX7 C9's are also good. For the Phase Inverter slot (closest to the power tubes), spend $20 for a Mullard CV4024 12AT7 - great tube, very reliable. For these tubes, I would go to

Doug's Tubes
for a mixture of brands, or to
Eurotubes
if you go with all JJs (it's all he sells. The JJs for the preamp slots give it a slightly darker sound, but they are superb...a matter of taste.

You do NOT have to rebias the Classic 30, FYI.

peace,

David

HI!

What is the difference of Alnico and Ceramic Speakers?

And have you got experiance with the weber 1x15 Speakers?

I have caught an old Marlboro Bass Cabinet and want to change the speakers.....

I need clean sounds and a crazy HardRock sound!

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by evilaci

What is the difference of Alnico and Ceramic Speakers?

And have you got experiance with the weber 1x15 Speakers?

Alnico speakers apparently compress more when cranked, and are a bit warmer...I've never used them though, only ceramic.

Never played a Weber 15", though Ted has an incredibly good reputation, and the speaker of his that I DID try (Blue Dog) was phenomenal. I did try an Eminence 15" Legend 151 in my old Yamaha G100 solid state amp. That amp had pretty good cleans, and I wanted to try a better speaker in it - the Legend certainly fit the bill. It has a deep, defined sound to it, and was a huge improvement over the stock one. I ended up converting the amp to a bass rig, though, and sold the Legend before I had spent too much time with it...

• Members

Originally posted by Pepi

No, actually they are wired in paralell. I have never seen power tubes wired in series. When increasing power the practive is to wire them in parallel.

As for pulling two of the tubes.... you could do it but it may screw up your bias, it could run your bias too hot and you could make the plates of your tubes glowing red = breakdown!!

Most of the bigger marshalls have two bias adjustments, one for each set of tubes, so they can be readilly pulled.

it would be best to make your bias adjustable and then monitor the current running through your tubes, to be sure you are safe.... of you could email the guy at Eurotubes.com, and he could tell you what to do.... he might have tried this already...

• Members

Originally posted by Boogs

Alnico speakers apparently compress more when cranked, and are a bit warmer...I've never used them though, only ceramic.

Never played a Weber 15", though Ted has an incredibly good reputation, and the speaker of his that I DID try (Blue Dog) was phenomenal. I did try an Eminence 15" Legend 151 in my old Yamaha G100 solid state amp. That amp had pretty good cleans, and I wanted to try a better speaker in it - the Legend certainly fit the bill. It has a deep, defined sound to it, and was a huge improvement over the stock one. I ended up converting the amp to a bass rig, though, and sold the Legend before I had spent too much time with it...

Oh thanks!

And ceramics are much cheaper......!

perhaps i should risk it;

but mr weber has 4 different 1x15 speakers!! thats really cool!

• Members

Did anyone else find changing the speaker in the C30 to be a pain in the ass? I nearly had to disassemle the entire flippin amp to get the new speaker in there. The old opening in the open back was not big enough to just remove the stock speaker. In fact, I tore a freaking hole in the blue marvel dicking around with it because I was so clueless. :freak:

Thankfully, I was very happy with the Eminence Governor I installed. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Elric

Did anyone else find changing the speaker in the C30 to be a pain in the ass? I nearly had to disassemle the entire flippin amp to get the new speaker in there. The old opening in the open back was not big enough to just remove the stock speaker. In fact, I tore a freaking hole in the blue marvel dicking around with it because I was so clueless.
:freak:

Thankfully, I was very happy with the Eminence Governor I installed.
:thu:

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. I always do a little balancing act with the amp chassis while removing the speaker. I guess it would be easier to unplug the reverb wire and take it all the way out, but the tank cover seems to be glued on, and I'd rather not pull it off.

• Members
When changing to JJ tubes, I had to leave the stock tube (sovtek I think) in V1 to prevent it from overdriving the reverb circuit...

What were the symptoms? I don't think I've encountered that one.

I just got my fifth Classic 30 Friday for $399, when everyone else in town wanted $499 - $529. Yes ... it's a good deal. Got a second new one coming, too, to go back to the twin C30 rig I used last year. I think I have finally found my personal, magical "IT". A FrankenStrat with a Hot Rail bridge and Vintage neck p'ups into a Bad Monkey into a DigiDelay out to two Classic 30s with JJs and Greenbacks or Blue Dogs. I've been playing for 25 years now and have owned everything from a Fender Dual Showman Reverb with 15" JBLs to JCM800 half-stacks to that $1500 Ampeg VL503 combo. A pair of Classic 30s with JJs and Greenbacks is "IT" for me. No more looking ... tweaking ... testing ... experimenting ... trying out ... I'm done. :)

I have found ... IT :cool:

Minh

• Members

Hey, has anyone tried the new Penta yet? Do we know if we'll get a Penta combo eventually?

I'd really like to try one of those. They sound pretty sweet if the technical info is to be believed. I wonder how it'd sound with a FrankenStrat?

Minh

( :D )

• Members
Originally posted by snakum

No more looking ... tweaking ... testing ... experimenting ... trying out ... I'm done.
:)

I have found ...
IT
:cool:

Minh

Originally posted by snakum

Hey, has anyone tried the new Penta yet? Do we know if we'll get a Penta combo eventually?

I'd really like to try one of those. They sound pretty sweet if the technical info is to be believed. I wonder how it'd sound with a FrankenStrat?

Minh

(
:D
)

Suuure you're done...:D

Good to hear you got another C30. Is the Blue Dog on the way? Or is Boogs not gonna let it go? :D

• Members
Good to hear you got another C30. Is the Blue Dog on the way? Or is Boogs not gonna let it go?

I haven't heard from him yet ... we are all expecting a full report from our resident C30 Speaker Guru soon, though. Perhaps it's such a killer combination that he's spending all his spare time playing and hasn't taken the time to write up his review. LOL! :D

I'm going to throw the Valve King speaker in mine tonight and see what I get. Should be interesting. I have to say ... I kinda like the EH12AX7s in it. I'm partial to JJs in all the C30s and C50s, but I'm going to leave the EHs in for a while and see how they sound with the various speaker changes.

Oh ... about the G12Hs ... I put a pair in my second Classic 50 and I remember that it was a KILLER tone. Since the Wizard is similar to the G12Hs, it would stand to reason that everyone likes the Wizard in the Classics. I think that's what Boogs is using now.

Well ... not 'now' ... right 'now' he's rock'n the Blue Dogger. :D

Minh

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1084682&highlight=Peavey+Classic

Feel Free to continue this discussion in my official Peavey Classic 30 topic. Also reading it will teach you a lot about the amp and upgrading it. I'm not the one who knows a bunch about this amp, but the guys in this topic do. So... go there.

• Members

Actually, it's the same guys and same info here. Just us Classic 30 regulars who annoy everyone else to death about it. :D

if you pull 2 tubes out of the Classic 30, no sound comes out.

Yep ... that trick no workee on the Classics. The tubes are wired differently er sump'n.

Minh

Archived