Clean/lube slide pots?

• Members

OK all you refurbishers and tech heads: What do you prefer to use to clean slide pots with? I'm leaning towards CAIG FaderLube, but want to hear opinions on its worthiness before I try to hunt some down.

I need it for the sliders on my Juno; The thin black foam they used for dust covers got brittle and disintegrated into a lot of black nasty dust in the sliders; They're scratchy and feel rough.

Anyone? Bueller?

• Members

Tried and true cleaning is to disassemble and remove crud manually, then lube with petroleum jelly.

No matter what you spray in there, it doesn't make it any better because that disintegrated foam is still swimming around inside. That foam has to be extricated manually.

This is one reason I steer clar of ARP synths.

• Members

Thanks, Flat! I've already tried this on a few pots already:

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html

...and all it managed to do was remove any remaining lubrication and made them even stickier. Evidently the only lubrication it really does is meant for the contacts themselves and does nothing for the mechanical friction. :facepalm:

Looks like I'm going to have to do the full monty on all of these. Is all this work I'm putting into this stupid Juno worth it? :lol:

• Members

From Bob Weigel when I enquired about slider lube for my Moog MG-1.

If you are talking about actually taking the sliders apart and clean/greasing

the contact area (recommended) then you want to get the di-electric grease I

think. It's lithium based but promotes smooth conduction. NAPA or any

parts store has it. Probably spendy..6 bucks or more for a fairly small tube

that will grease a lot of sliders for sure and some battery posts etc. :-) -Bob

His Site: http://sounddoctorin.com/ A lot of good Synth info here to say the least including how to pack and mail a synth..JD LePera

Archived