Anyone here want to talk about Tangerine Dream?

• Members

i'd just like to add that for my money Force Majeure is the greatest space-rock album outside of DSOTM by Floyd. Better in some ways, really.

imho 'Cloudburst Flight' alone smokes the entire side 2 of DSOTM, call me crazy...

...and this is what started it for me. i saw this when i was 12 yrs old and never fully recoverd:

[YOUTUBE]1KuNH3C36QE&fmt=18[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

their early 80s Hollywood soundtrack years are the primary reason I became a musician/producer- the soundtracks to Streethawk/ Firestarter/ The Keep/ Wavelength/ The Park is Mine- ignited my passion for electronic music- they are still in my top 3 bands and I have never gone more than a day without listening to them

• Members

I always felt that TD, especially in the early years when audiences were far more accepting of innovation, were lacking a little bit.

i understand what you're trying to say here, but i think the problem is that you are judging them on what you feel space rock is or ought to be, when in fact they really were more of a nod to both Bach and Ligeti with electronic instruments.

which is, i've gotta say, pretty damn cool.

also the other question i have is "what is space rock?"

and no matter how you slice it, TD is way more psychedelic than 98 percent of American hippie jam rock.

• Members

their early 80s Hollywood soundtrack years...
The Park is Mine
- ignited my passion for electronic music...

:freak:

really? just watched that a few weeks ago (read the book as well - much better and quite a bit different), i remember liking the movie quite a bit when it came out. i was pretty disappointed with their contribution though, for the most part.

i have Phaedra and Ricochet on cassette somewhere, some really nice stuff on those. not that i listen to them much at all, but it's always a joy to do so. i'd actually like to get more of their stuff from this era.

• Members

WHY CAN'T THE PARK IS MINE BE ON DVD LIKE IT SHOULD BE!?!?!

yeah, with all the other stuff that's been released i can't believe this still isn't on DVD. ended up having a friend download it for me and watched it over his place. of course, it wasn't quite as good as i remembered. :) the book was pretty good though, i'd recommend it if you like the movie.

• Members

Good stuff overall, some misses as with any great band. I am a huge fan.

The first two albums I can do without, but I appreciate the experimentation that they started back then. Kraftwerk is to hip-hop and pop as TD is to dance and techno (and even soundtracks). They were real innovators, and I like the fact that they changed their sound over time, not just because the band members changed.

Cyclone and Tyger are a little much though. Even though the music is good on those albums, the vocal thing was never something they needed or did very well. However, the Jon Anderson track on Legend (although schmalzy) is quite well done.

I keep kicking myself for never seeing them live, especially when they came to Berkeley in the early 90's after I had discovered their music.

They make minimalism shine.

I find myself sounding like them subconsciously when my band records. I don't notice it until I play it back.

• Members

Is this something you witnessed? If so, you are
:cool:

I'm probably in a minority here, but Zeit is my favorite. I feel very good about Zeit, Mothman. (there is a clue here...)

yeah, i actually saw them at the Van Weezel Center in Sarasota, Florida back in about 88. It was a really good place for them. As I remember the place was packed. All I really remember them doing was stuff from their "optical Race" album which I had gotten before going to see them.

It was a fun experience. Went with 3 other people and all went good.

I think that most of their early stuff is pretty good. Some of the 80's stuff is good. Livemiles is pretty good. But it just seemed after 1990 they faded away from my radar. I dont know if the Technology changed them or the way did things or if so many changes in their lineup was not good.

It seems like when they used very specific synths or keyboards back in the early days the music was better. Mellotrons, Arps, Minimoogs, PPG... I really have not kept up with them for the last 18 years and im just wondering if they went the "rompler" route, or even the sampler route. Analog is Analog i guess. I guess there is a limit to how long you can take older synths on the road or use them to record with.

Anyone know btw when they last toured?

Another negative for me is the makeup of the band. When members change and it comes down to only one original member it kind of feels Blah.

Like when Styx tours with out Dennis De Young. Or Any band tours without the main influence of the band itself.

• Members

I really have not kept up with them for the last 18 years and im just wondering if they went the "rompler" route, or even the sampler route. Analog is Analog i guess. I guess there is a limit to how long you can take older synths on the road or use them to record with.

Yeah, Edgar sort of migrated to the Korg O1/W and then newer Roland Fantoms beginning in the early 90's. Albums like Melrose and Rockoon are just loaded to the gills with 01/W. He never seems to misses an opportunity to complain about all the hassles he had with old analog, and in particular the Mellotron. Being a pioneer has it's drawbacks.

From '82-early 90's their sound became unabashedly 'digital' w/ Optical Race being the apex of all-out digital-ness. I like that album quite a bit, but it's DRENCHED in screaming FM digital synths, to a ridiculous degree. A strange chapter in the developments of electronic sound, not unlike the all-out Synclavier-ness of Zappa's 'Jazz from Hell' record.

I actually like A LOT of things on all their albums of the later period 90's - TranSiberia, Mars Polaris, Oasis, 220 Volt(beware of numerous Zlatko guitar solos and cheezy sax), Tyranny of Beauty....but they are NOT anywhere near the sound of the classic 'trio' line-ups. They do echo them sometimes, and even revisit them occasionally w/ some success, as heard in the Stratosfear redux on ToB, for example.

And the live 'Streethawk' theme they played on tours then was bloody awesome.

• Members

:freak:

really? just watched that a few weeks ago (read the book as well - much better and quite a bit different), i remember liking the movie quite a bit when it came out. i was pretty disappointed with their contribution though, for the most part.

Did you hear the music in this clip, from 4 minutes to 7:20? At least it is a piece that I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0BnH7RMlXM&feature=related

Well, that's about all I have to say, for now, except....... I saved one picture just to rile up the forumites!

TangerineDreamOasis.jpg

• Members

i can understand why you guys like it, but no, it's not the type of thing i get excited about. not too bad though. then again, i'm the type that couldn't care less about Wendy Carlos, etc scores either. i guess i was expecting something a bit different when i saw it was by TD, just seemed like some Miami Vice type cheese for the most part. about par for the mid-80s i guess. :)

• Members

I'm pretty sure they used "Burning Bar" off of Thief as filler music on the local CBC TV station in the early '80s. Great piece. But the piece off the soundtrack that a lot of people seem to favour isn't actually Tangerine Dream. "Confrontation," heard over the final minutes of the film, is actually by film composer Craig Safan. He was called in to write the piece when Mann wanted something to close out the movie and TD weren't available. Rumour has it Safan played the David Gilmourish guitar on it, which he denies.

Thief itself is a cool film and is pretty much essential viewing if you're in any way interested in Michael Mann.

• Members

Custom made sequencing gear TD was using at the time, apparently made by someone named Helmut Groethe.

not just sequencing.

the stuff in the middle and right is the sequencing stuff. the left rack are the Wave Computer 340s and their monitors. the sequencers replaced the 380 Event Generators which didn't look as cool on stage and didn't have quite so fun interfaces.

why he has 4 Wave Computer 340s and 2 380s there i have no idea. he only really needed the main rack.

Archived