What amps did Boston use?

Speed_Racer71

• Members

was listening to their greatests hits the other day..ive always wondered what they used..prb Marshall like everything else did back then..but they definately got their own sound..when i think of people tone, other than EVH ..Bostons come to mind ..nobody else that i remember sounded like them..any clues as to their setup?

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

On the first and second album he used attenuated Marshalls with a graphic eq and a homemade boost pedal before the amp. The eq was set to boost up 800hz. The 800hz freequency is the secret to that sound.

I hope this helps.

Holy crap!

What don't you know, Ralph??

Ok.... what string gauge and shoe size for Warren Dimartini??

C'mon!!!!!! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by SQUAREHEAD

Holy crap!

What don't you know, Ralph??

Ok.... what string gauge and shoe size for Warren Dimartini??

C'mon!!!!!!
;)

He started out with 9's and then went to 10's because he was killing the 9's with the metal pick. Plus his hand strength went up from touring lol :D

• Members

On the first and second album he used attenuated Marshalls with a graphic eq and a homemade boost pedal before the amp. The eq was set to boost up 800hz. The 800hz freequency is the secret to that sound.

I hope this helps.

(addendum)

I got to second engineer on "A Man I'll Never Be" from Don't Look Back, which was recorded in part at Northern Recording Studios in my hometown of Maynard, Mass.

The Marshalls were 100wt heads from the 72-74 era into a single 4x12 basketweave angle cab. In addition to the pre-amp boost and graphic EQ that Ralph mentioned, the outboard processing of the guitar included heavy limiting, and was split at the board into an MXR rack delay unit as well as an MXR rack Doubler. This is some 26 years ago?? But I think the guitar sounds were a total of four separate tracks melded into one.

• Members

Originally posted by BerkleeBill

(addendum)

I got to second engineer on "A Man I'll Never Be" from Don't Look Back, which was recorded in part at Northern Recording Studios in my hometown of Maynard, Mass.

The Marshalls were 100wt heads from the 72-74 era into a single 4x12 basketweave angle cab. In addition to the pre-amp boost and graphic EQ that Ralph mentioned, the outboard processing of the guitar included heavy limiting, and was split at the board into an MXR rack delay unit as well as an MXR rack Doubler. This is some 26 years ago?? But I think the guitar sounds were a total of four separate tracks melded into one.

Very Cool Bill!! Thanks for the info!!

:thu:

I have heard a lot of stories how he got that tone but I just wanted to keep it simple!! There have been rumors that he used 2 eq's (pre and post) and a cracked wah and a whole lot of other stuff but it has been my finding that a crnaked Marshall, boost pedal and EQ on 800hz will give you that tone in spades (or you can just use a furman PQ3 which is a boost and eq all in one!!)

You rock!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,it isn't exactly a secret how to get that tone.(if someone actually wanted it for some reason.

Well, actually, At one time it was a secret and I have read a lot of bull{censored} pertaining to how to get that sound troughout the years.

And yes there are people who do like that sound and who would actually want it .

Just saying.

• Members

Well, actually, At one time it was a secret and I have read a lot of bull{censored} pertaining to how to get that sound troughout the years.

And yes there are people who do like that sound and who would actually want it .

Just saying.

+1

Boston had kickass tone, one of my favourite classic rock tones of all time without a doubt... they had a unique vibe goin on with that guitar sound!

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by BerkleeBill

(addendum)

"A Man I'll Never Be" is my favorite Boston tune.

Nice Phrasing by Tom Sholz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Brad D.'s vocal helped too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Just saying.

I wouldn't cal it bull. There are a number of ways to get that super mid-spiked tone,regardless of how Tom did it himself. Whether its a cocked wah,an EQ with certain mids dimed and the highs and lows squeezed down,a low output bridge HB with the tone rolled back thrrough a bright amp,etc. Then add a few arena effects. Lots of roads to a similar tone. Actually,it isn't that much different as far as how to achieve the tone,as MONEY FOR NOTHING.

• Members

found one of those Rockman XPR's on ebay...for 660.00..hmm nah..ill pass

only rack unit i ever had was an ART something something..not bad ..wish i had kept it just for the heck of it now

i shot over to the review sections to see how good a review it got and the reference "Tom" comes up a bit..hmm i still aint paying that much for it lol

Archived