I may have made a mistake....

TMack

• Members

Hate to second guess a big purchase but I'm really struggling fall in love with my new Kurzweil PC3X. I bought it without having had the chance to play it - no local dealers. But since I've played a PC88 for 15 years, I was not very concerned. Plus, the reviews here and elsewhere have been very positive.

But I'm REALLY struggling with the strange action on this thing. The keys seem to be "spring loaded" and induce a sense of "fatigue" quickly in my hands and forearms. Plus, even when playing a beautiful sounding piano patch, I feel totally disconnected from the instrument. (Know what I mean?) It's almost like watching a movie where the audio is slightly out of sync. My touch and strike of a key doesn't seem to bring the sound to life as my brain expects.

Anyway, after only week I'm considering selling it and getting an S90 ES (or XS). Every time I've played an S90 I've felt well-rewarded and "in sync".

Am I alone in experiencing this on a PC3X? Bottom is that, while I love the sounds and features (especially the sequencer) on the Kurzweil, I really need a true "musical instrument". I'll happily give up a few features to LOVE my keys.

Am I crazy?:confused:

• Members

So much of playing is the connection of the physical movement of a key to produce the sound we want. If you can't feel connected with the board in order for you to produce the sound you want then it doesn't matter what other features it has. It is failing in the most important one that you want. I have the Kurzweil K2600 and like it very much. I really feel bad for you in this situation. You paid a lot of money, and to not be happy with an expensive purchase like this is horrible.

Maybe like mildbill said you can return it. It is really hard to try and make yourself like a board that you know in your gut isn't for you. I've been there. At least it is a very new keyboard and if you have to sell it you should be able to get most of your mony back.

I wish you the best and hope all works out well for you.

• Members

Hate to second guess a big purchase but I'm really struggling fall in love with my new Kurzweil PC3X. I bought it without having had the chance to play it - no local dealers. But since I've played a PC88 for 15 years, I was not very concerned. Plus, the reviews here and elsewhere have been very positive.

But I'm REALLY struggling with the strange action on this thing. The keys seem to be "spring loaded" and induce a sense of "fatigue" quickly in my hands and forearms. Plus, even when playing a beautiful sounding piano patch, I feel totally disconnected from the instrument. (Know what I mean?) It's almost like watching a movie where the audio is slightly out of sync. My touch and strike of a key doesn't seem to bring the sound to life as my brain expects.

Anyway, after only week I'm considering selling it and getting an S90 ES (or XS). Every time I've played an S90 I've felt well-rewarded and "in sync".

Am I alone in experiencing this on a PC3X? Bottom is that, while I love the sounds and features (especially the sequencer) on the Kurzweil, I really need a true "musical instrument". I'll happily give up a few features to LOVE my keys.

Am I crazy?
:confused:

Funny - I demoed the PC3X against the S90ES (& the RD700GX)... wound up buying the S90ES for the overall excellent quality and breadth/depth of great sounds in it... :love: - - but I did like PC3X action, if I remember right (6mos. ago). The S90ES action is quite meaty (heavy) and if can fatigue you quickly if you're not used to it but I think I've built up a tolerance to it now. The PC3X action is lighter but I don't remember the "disconnect" you describe.

The Roland RD700GX action trumps them all but some owners have reported that the "ivory feel" keys wear out more quickly w/the sweat of you hands, etc... - so I'm glad I didn't get one of those. :facepalm:

• Members

So much of playing is the connection of the physical movement of a key to produce the sound we want. If you can't feel connected with the board in order for you to produce the sound you want then it doesn't matter what other features it has. It is failing in the most important one that you want. I have the Kurzweil K2600 and like it very much. I really feel bad for you in this situation. You paid a lot of money, and to not be happy with an expensive purchase like this is horrible.

Maybe like mildbill said you can return it. It is really hard to try and make yourself like a board that you know in your gut isn't for you. I've been there. At least it is a very new keyboard and if you have to sell it you should be able to get most of your mony back.

I wish you the best and hope all works out well for you.

Thanks, I couldn't agree more. I'm a pianist at heart and simply have to feel "musical" when I'm playing. Fortunately, I can probably get most of my investment back if I decide to sell the PC3X.

• Members

I know what it means having to buy without the possibility of trying out a piece of gear beforehand. Worst thing if you don't "feel right" about your instrument.

I played the Kurz once before finally going with a Nord Stage, though I really liked the piano and Orchestral sounds, just didn't felt like the real instrument I could fall in love with (hope my gf is not reading this forum...). I found that the PC88 (to me) seemed mor piano-like than the newer PC3x, and in the end I had to give up on the nice features such as the VAST, Pianos, Orchestral sounds, great sequencing but ended up with the thing I then began a real love (ok sometimes hate but its normal I guess) relationship with.

And IMHO it is definitively worth doing even if you lose 500$ sinc you wil have much greater pleasure every day you play it!!!

I hope you finally find "your" synth soon!!

• Members

I bought the S90es for two reasons; mainly for the piano sound but also for the action. It doesn't feel just like a piano but it felt really comfortable to play. I've had a hard time getting interested in kurzweil pianos because it hasn't seemed like they've updated their piano samples since the micropiano.

• Members

Am I in the right thread ? (see sig) :lol:

Actually the feel of the action for piano playing is pretty satisfying to me, which is why I'm not sad that mine hasn't sold. In the past I've practiced on a lot of acoustic pianos that have heavy action, and my piano is on the heavy side, too.

Have you played your PC88 exclusively for 15 years? Could it be that you are just so accustomed to that action, which is very worn after 15 years, that anything different will feel wrong at first?

Personally I hated my PC88 action -- even after it was replaced under warranty, it deteriorated quickly and by the end it was so bad that I took the weight mechanism right out but it still wasn't playable. That thing almost put me off electronic keyboards for good :mad: Then it was Yamaha P80, which also deteriorated after a few years.

What I'm left with is a feeling that I will never like the action of a digital piano, and that they wear out quickly and change over time anyway.

But, yeah, if you can still return the thing, you should probably find something that feels good to you. If you can't return it, I would suggest spending a little more time with it before you act. Unless you really hate it and it's keeping you from joy in music, in which case: do it!

• Members

Am I in the right thread ? (see sig)
:lol:

Actually the feel of the action for piano playing is pretty satisfying to me, which is why I'm not sad that mine hasn't sold. In the past I've practiced on a lot of acoustic pianos that have heavy action, and my piano is on the heavy side, too.

Have you played your PC88 exclusively for 15 years? Could it be that you are just so accustomed to that action, which is very worn after 15 years, that anything different will feel wrong at first?

Personally I
hated
my PC88 action -- even after it was replaced under warranty, it deteriorated quickly and by the end it was so bad that I took the weight mechanism right out but it still wasn't playable. That thing almost put me off electronic keyboards for good
:mad:
Then it was Yamaha P80, which also deteriorated after a few years.

What I'm left with is a feeling that I will
never
like the action of a digital piano, and that they wear out quickly and change over time anyway.

But, yeah, if you can still return the thing, you should probably find something that feels good to you. If you can't return it, I would suggest spending a little more time with it before you act. Unless you really hate it and it's keeping you from joy in music, in which case: do it!

Good thoughts. But I think I have pretty reasonable expectations on action and feel. None of these synths feel just like a piano, unless you buy a Clavinova or some "purpose built" digital piano. And frankly, every day I play the PC3X I'm hoping that I find my self "getting used to it". But so far, it's not happening. FYI, I played an S90ES yesterday at the music store and thought it was pure silk. It may be in my near future. :)

Archived