80's Guitar guys, need advice

ncook

• Members

Originally posted by ncook

I'm writing a solo and for the fisrt time I'm trying to do 2 guitars harmonizing at the end but I dont know how to find the notes for the second guitar. Any advice?

What? Do you know your modal patterns for the key??

Pick one an interval above your 1st guitar, like a minor3rd, major 3rd or a 4th or a 5th, 6th, or 7th. Follow the key, don't duplicate the pattern played by the first guitar.

• Members

----------------------------------8--7--8--10-11--10--11---13---15-------
----------------3--4--3--4--6--------------------------------------------------
----5--4---5--------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------?--?--?--?---?---8----7----8----10-----
----------------?--?--?--?--?--------------------------------------------------
----2--0---2--------------------------------------------------------------------

The ones I tabbed are good, the ?'s are where I dont know where to go

• Members

Originally posted by ncook

----------------------------------8--7--8--10-11--10--11---13---15------- c b c d d# d d# f g

----------------3--4--3--4--6--------------------------------------------------

----5--4---5--------------------------------------------------------------------

c b c d

----------------------------------?--?--?--?---?---8----7----8----10-----

----------------?--?--?--?--?--------------------------------------------------

----2--0---2--------------------------------------------------------------------

The ones I tabbed are good, the ?'s are where I dont know where to go

That's a rather dissonant choice of notes to counter the melody with. What are the chords you are playing this over??

• Members

Originally posted by Paragraph51

That's a rather dissonant choice of notes to counter the melody with. What are the chords you are playing this over??

G-D#-A#-F

It souds pretty cool, I'll try to post a clip in a bit.

• Members

Your solo is in C harmonic minor, which changes thes seventh interval from minor to major.

...in other words, B flat becomes B. For that chord progression to fit the key of your solo, you'd either have to change the B notes in the solo to B flats, or change that B flat chord in the chord progression to something else.

• Members

I suppose...it's just that the chord progression is very Pentatonic oriented, while the solo notes are very harmonic minor oriented. I can't see that working great together.

Of course, it's not my song. That was just a suggestion from a theory standpoint. It's your song, you do with it as you like. I'm not a musical genius...

yet.

• Members
Originally posted by Jomkiatz

Your solo is in C harmonic minor, which changes thes seventh interval from minor to major.

...in other words, B flat becomes B. For that chord progression to fit the key of your solo, you'd either have to change the B notes in the solo to B flats, or change that B flat chord in the chord progression to something else.

I thought the B sounded pretty good, at least the first one, the second is a bit odd.

• Members

I suppose...it's just that the chord progression is very Pentatonic oriented, while the solo notes are very harmonic minor oriented. I can't see that working great together.

Of course, it's not my song. That was just a suggestion from a theory standpoint. It's your song, you do with it as you like. I'm not a musical genius...

yet.

Please understand, this song was written by a girl who plays fairly basic (maybe even boring) stuff, I'm trying to bring a little bling in the solo.

• Members

Hey, I'm sorry if I sounded like I was {censored}ting on you. That's not what I meant at all, man.

The creative process is a very individual thing. I have no right to tell you what does and doesn't sound good to you. If you like it, then it's a good song, and it doesn't matter what I may or may not have to say about it.

...Written by a girl? Female rhythm guitar player?

• Members

Hey, I'm sorry if I sounded like I was {censored}ting on you. That's not what I meant at all, man.

The creative process is a very individual thing. I have no right to tell you what does and doesn't sound good to you. If you like it, then it's a good song, and it doesn't matter what I may or may not have to say about it.

...Written by a girl? Female rhythm guitar player?

Yep, lead singer too. It doesnt sound quite right but its close. Thats why I'm posting this, I want to figure out whats wrong and fix it, but not scrap the whole part.

• Members

Which part exactly were you trying to change? In all honesty, the unharmonized solo lick sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks, its at the end of the solo so the harmony is really kind of a cool way to wrap it up. The question marks are the parts that I have in the solo but dont sound right.

• Members

Well..the key of C minor (or harmonic minor) has the A note as being flatted, so I would reccomend that instead of playing A-G-A on the G string, you instead play Ab-G-Ab on the D string. That gels better with the key of the solo. As for the rest of it...the harmony I threw at you earlier contains notes that are all within key.

One type of harmonization I like to use involves not harmonizing note for note, but writing a countermelody underneath. This means, instead of matching note-for-note with the same rhythm, think of a melody that goes well with the one you have above, but isn't identical. For example...

e-10-10-10-11-11-11-----11-11-11-13-13-13-10-11
b-------------------------8-9-
g-

...or whatever. It's all about what sounds good to you, man.

• Members

It's really unimaginative to just harmonize automatically, based on a pattern like that, though. I'd reccomend doing it by ear, and not necessarily following patterns, or what not. If it sounds good, who the {censored} cares what the theory is?

Now THAT is the greatest music lesson ever.

Archived