tube problems.....help

Cas

• Members

last time i was playing my Mark IV(more than a month ago) i was getting horrendous feedback even on the clean channel. somebody said on here that it was a peamp tube. I called mesa and they told me the same thing. I just fired it up and now the lead channel is sounding like dog {censored}. I'm gonna call mesa tomorrow but as of now does anybody know what tube(s) would be causing this?

• Members

1st off . how long has it been since you changed tubes
2nd . have you changed guitars or pickups or pedals in the last few weeks/months?
gibson guitars with stock pickups tend to feedback like stuck pigs.
#3 have you changed rehearsal spaces or changed where you physically play at you rehearsal in relation to the amplifier and its transformers.

• Members
Originally posted by Cas

last time i was playing my Mark IV(more than a month ago) i was getting horrendous feedback even on the clean channel. somebody said on here that it was a peamp tube. I called mesa and they told me the same thing. I just fired it up and now the lead channel is sounding like dog {censored}. I'm gonna call mesa tomorrow but as of now does anybody know what tube(s) would be causing this?

If it will feed back w/o anything plugged in,it is more than likely a preamp tube. Swap them out one at a time until you find the one that is bad,probably one of the first two.

• Members

Originally posted by fuxtix

1st off . how long has it been since you changed tubes

2nd . have you changed guitars or pickups or pedals in the last few weeks/months?

gibson guitars with stock pickups tend to feedback like stuck pigs.

#3 have you changed rehearsal spaces or changed where you physically play at you rehearsal in relation to the amplifier and its transformers.

put new preamp tubes in about 5 monts ago. haven't changed anything, switched a few guitars to see if it made a difference it didn't. haven't even played my gibson thru it yet. i don't understand #3 but yes i've played it 3 different places. i thought amps only had 1 transformer

• Members

In order to hear the bad tube you should turn the amp's volume up really loud but turn your guitar's volume down.
Tap the preamp tubes with a pencil or similar and listen for a ringing that seems to take off into oscillation. If you just hear a high pitched clank then the tube is probably just fine. The bad one will stick out.

• Members
Originally posted by Cas

put new preamp tubes in about 5 monts ago. haven't changed anything, switched a few guitars to see if it made a difference it didn't. haven't even played my gibson thru it yet. i don't understand #3 but yes i've played it 3 different places. i thought amps only had 1 transformer

Most amps have two,a power tranny and an output tranny.

• Members

Originally posted by Daneswede1

Did you buy the 12ax7s from Mesa Boogie. I think Mesa Boogie sells Chinese 12ax7s . The CHinese brand sometimes burn out faster and can be incinsistent. YOu may want to get a solid sounding NOS tube like some BRIMARS CV4004s or some RFT 12ax7s thick plates.

yes these are mesa tubes, i thought i've been having terrible luck with them but what you're saying could be the reason, probably is.

guitarman-i did the tappng thing you told me to do. after tapping every tube, only one sticks out. it sounds pretty similar to the others just way louder. will i know when i hit a bad tube or what

Archived