Your preference and why : Marshall vs. Mesa/Boogie

geek_usa

• Members

Originally posted by Dimebag11

cuts through the mix MUCH better

Depends who's EQing it. Really, a lot of Marshall people go to plug into a Mesa and aren't used to the EQ of the Mesa's and just give up and call it a day. It really depends who dials it in. I'm in a 3 guitarist band, and I cut through everyone.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mesa all the way!!

Tone - Boogies arend as harsh and you don't need to turn up to 11 to make 'em sound good (but it's fun)

gain - better gain

Cleans - this is a no brainer, Marshall's don't have a good clean and Boogies are among the top of the clean tone amps. Even the Rectifier series have great cleans.

Boogies!

• Members

Marshall for me!

In the studio the sound engineer plugged me into a dual rec as soon as he realised there was going to be some heavier sounding guitars on a track.

I gave it a shot & while i can understand why people love the Mesa dual rec, it wasn't for me & i prefered my Marshall with a boost.

• Members
Originally posted by daveyboy

Cuz, as my one Marshall bashing friend says: "Meh, those Marshalls are just ALL mids". DUH!!
:thu:

You know, a fellow "guitar player" once told me, "Why would you want to buy a Marshall? They practically have NO mids..."

I asked him if he knew what he was talking about, and that he knew that I MEANT Marshall and not some other brand. He clarified it for me. I then closed that conversation, knowing he was too much of an idiot for his own good, and that it might have been contagious.

He's also one of those uber-devoted noise-rock fans that think anything that makes a sound is music. Some of the links he gave me made me about die laughing, but he was dead serious. Some of the utter {censored} I listened to and watched was about enough for me to visit the bands in person, and beat them over the head with their own instruments and tell them to use them properly.

Yet he dissed bands like Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and almost every band I would ever mention to him. He was a real wanker. Needless to say I don't talk to him anymore.

As a side note, I think I prefer Mesa, but we will have to see once I get my DC-3 in the mail. :)

• Members

Originally posted by tele_jas

Mesa all the way!!

Tone - Boogies arend as harsh and you don't need to turn up to 11 to make 'em sound good (but it's fun)

gain - better gain

Cleans - this is a no brainer, Marshall's don't have a good clean and Boogies are among the top of the clean tone amps. Even the Rectifier series have great cleans.

Boogies!

+1. Mesas do sound better at lower volumes..Didn't think of that at first.

• Members

Mesa is superior. You can get a Marshall type sound from a Mesa but not the other way around.

The people saying the Mesa doesn't cut must be new to guitar playing or something. My Mesa can shear off your skin if you choose that frequency range.

I've owned several Marshalls (JCM 800 included).

• Members

I like both sounds. I'd have a hard time picking just one of them. In practicality, I'd take the Mesa because Mesas sound better at low volume whereas my experience with Marshalls is that you really can't even get a good clean tone at bedroom volume, they're just too powerful and the volume knob goes from 0 to "10" with just a fraction of a turn.

• Members

Rectoverb series II combo and JCM800 2204 half stack owner here. Apples and oranges. Life wouldn't be worth living without both but if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose, it would be the Rectoverb because its more versatile (2 channels) and sounds great at any volume.

Archived