Ampeg VH-140C vs Crate GX-130C

trailsofsin

• Members

I'm looking to get in on some solid state brutality and am considering going this route. I know that the GX-130C is based on the VH-140C, and seems to be considered to be pretty close to the Ampeg, but can be had for lower prices.

So.... are the two close enough, or is there a significant difference tonewise? I'm assuming the real difference here is in the quality - the Crate is probably made with cheaper parts and corner-cutting workmanship, which I guess would effect the sound quality to a degree as well as reliability. But is it a huge difference?

I should mention I'm looking at the head versions, not combos, and I'm not too worried about clean or mid-gain tones, just Suffocation-esque distortion.

• Members

Yeah, I know the ideal thing to do would be to play them both, but I've never seen either one in a store, nor do I know anyone who has one, so I'm out of luck there.

If anyone's ever played both, I'd love to hear their thoughts. Experiences with one or the other would be cool too.

• Members

never played the crate, but i got a vh140c. for suffocation type tone, it's perfect. it also does dying fetus perfectly too (both bands used it obviously). best solid state head ever made. the cleans are suprisingly pretty decent too. i think completely scooped it sounds like fetus, mids on about 3 it gets that suffocation grind like on Pierced and Despise the Sun. i've been planning selling mine but i dont know if i will.

• Members

Originally posted by JonathanD

i've never played the crate gx-130, but I've only heard great things about the ampeg

I put out a pretty bad review (on the forum -- not the review section) after the first time I tried it out, but I tried a little better guitar/pups a second time and ended up with the impression that it's a really good amp for death/extreme types of metal, but I can't really see that tone working that well for much else. But the notes sounded really thick on that amp, so it seems like it'd do leads pretty well for a SS amp, too. I didn't check out the cleans but hear they're supposed to be decent, as well.

Overall for a SS amp, I think it's pretty good. Looks like they still have that head at the Tulsa, Oklahoma Musicgoround store for $350 and can ship it:

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=396351

• Members

Yes, I've seen them on ebay now and then, usually half the price of the VH-140C. I know to some degree you get what you pay for, but I'm not gigging and don't care about owning a Crate, which I know some people might be reluctant to do based on the reputation of their other amps. Anways if they're close enough and I can get one cheap, I may indeed go with the GX-130C. Still mulling it over.

Thanks for the comments guys.

• 15 years later...
  • Members

I have an Ampeg VS 140 C that has a problem with the volume balance between the "Chorus" mode and the normal mode. The normal signal is about 20% compared to the "chorus" signal. There is a gain control located on the chorus PCB. But in order to even use the amp it needs to be set on "10". There is something going on in the chorus board I believe. I have tested the (2) power amps and they are both equal in output. Has anyone else had this same problem with either the VS 140 C or the SS 140 C?
Thanks for any help!!!

Archived