AlexWade

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

I ahve a 5150, a JerryP FJA 5150...

I love it. I swear by it. I will be buried with that amp. :cocol:

But some of hte recto tones Ive heard on record floor me. New Testament...
:eek:

I love the grind of the 5150, though.

I love recorded recto tones a lot, but I'm not sure they'd really be that attainable in a real world situation, and everything I've heard about Rectos tonally seems to indicate that they'd annoy the {censored} out of me.

The low end I love recorded, but I have this feeling there's no way it would react to my playing the way I'd want it to.

But either way, I dont see this as comparing apples to oranges at all. They're both high gain amps, both rip offs of the SLO depending on who you ask, and they both are used for metal...

I think its not necessarily apples and oranges, I think it's just one of those things where people just have their preferences... nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I'd love to have both. But there's not a recto within 50 miles of where I live.
:(

Also, I cant help but find it hilarious with the mesa people saying hte 5150 sounds like sludge, and the 5150 people accusing the mesa people of not dialing in their 5150's right.

Seems to me with the almost muddy huge low end of the recto, that it would be hte sludgy one. And the temperamental controls of the recto, that to me would indicate that the mesa-heads are probably a lot more thorough in dialing their {censored} in.

But hell, what do I know. We can all bicker and insult each other's amps all day but no one is going ot change their minds. I dont even know why Im posting.

I have almost the exact same opinion...completely.

Basically this whole post is the exact same thing as what I think, except for the first 3 sentences...

:thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by BOOGIE666

yeah testament, canibul corpse, death angel, decapitated dont have any chops either.

Just because tight amps are in, doesnt mean your tone has to be thin and anemic to play fast.

btw ALL I play is thrash and death metal, I have never played a nu-metal song in my life on guitar.

So lets play the stereo type out you play trend /core I mean metal core???

And what are you smoking I have a mark IV and have owned a mark III they have no where near amount of gain a recto has neither does a 5150, hell even my sweet powerball doesnt have as much gain as my recto.

Maybe your playing turns to mush??? Cause I have no problem knocking out morbid angel and slayer riffs with the gain dimed in the modern mode.

I've had 4 rectos over the years ,and i've had a 5150 since 92'.There is no way the mesa has more gain.I may be wrong here but i think the 5150 has 6 gain stages and the mesa has 5.I have had a ton of amps and nothin has the amount of gain the 5150 has.

• Members
Originally posted by KramerXXX

I wanted to second the thought on the difference that an Output transformer makes. If you are close to liking the amp, have this done. I've done it to 2 amps and I am very pleased with the results. The amps I've really paid attention to have good trannies from the start. VHT, Rivera, Splawn, Bogner, Diezel, etc., all have good 'Iron' in them from the get-go.

Everyone I have read who have said that changing the OT in a Peavey or Mesa takes it to the Next Level is right on the mark.

And don't discount using a pedal for some songs too. Get a modded pedal that is quiet, rich and full sounding. AnalogMan, Keely. and Indyguitarist have great sounding stuff. I have 2 modded SD-1's, a TS-9, and a DS-1 for doing this boosting/pushing thing. Great way to maximize you possibilities.

I may be picking up a 5150 within a few days. I might want to talk to you a bit about switching out the OT if you'll direct me on the right path. :)

• Members

i couldnt decide between a Mesa DR or a 5150 mkII
2 of my friends are in a band together and have both amps with mesa oversized cabs and i kept playing them to try and decide.

i found it hard to stick with a tone on the mesa as there are soo many options/modes and buttons on front and back but knew if i had the time it would do many good sounds.

i liked the fiddy for its ease of getting a sound but the clean wasnt up to my liking.

so i ended up buying a framus cobra.

• Members

work is super slow so I had a chance to read this whole thread...wow. I can't believe people are saying a rec is muddy. I have single on vintage, run a maxon od-9 in front and a boss eq in the loop with the upper mids up slightly and the very low end down a little and to my ears I'm getting the tightest thickest metal tone I've gotten out of ANY amp I've played, I also get a nice smooth fluid lead sound. I've only spent a little time with a 5150, and while it was nice it wasn't anything for me to really write home about, I probally needed more time with it though.

I'm in the middle of auditioning with a popular local cover band and so far they've hae me back for 3 practices, we do everything from godsmack, disturbed, system of a down and some other nu metal, to collective soul, stp, alice in chains, velevet revolver and other rock to old thrash like slayer, pantera, metallica and megadeth and the tone I'm getting works well for ALL of these styles, I'm not nailing anything of their specific tones, but this amp just slays. The band has a very nice pa they we mike through so I can't really comment as how well I'm cutting through the mix right now because i can always hear myself through the monitors.

Archived