CLIP: Randy Van Sykes, JLeurck, Alex Flouros, and Gainfreak present......

JLeurck

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

...a little something inspired by Kage's idea to do a benefit project for the American Cancer Association and the SPCA. This isn't exactly a shred fest, but kind of goes from classical, to folk, to rock with guitars involved in each movement. Give it a listen with an open mind.......

I.
The Promise
- this features Adam Martin (Randy Van Sykes) on both on nylon string and electric accompanied by The Burnham Philharmonic Orchestra (which is largely made up of SampleTank and Alesis samples
:(
). Adam writes such awesome stuff and plays like a composer - thought he'd sound great backed up by a full orchestra....I think he does! He even creates a little guitar orchestra of his own halfway through the movement

II.
Sister Song (for Alix)
- tried to catch the feminine, the mischeivious, and the brooding sides of Kage's sister from how he described her to me......this is a work in progress and the next time you hear this you will hear a LOT of Myron Stratis.

III.
The Steel Kage
- this one features two of Kage's favorite players in somewhat of a shootout. Alex Flouros takes the first super-aggressive solo, while the much under-recorded and mysteriously humble Ralph (Gainfreak) lights it up right after. Recorded in front of 80,000 screaming fans at Munich's Olympic Stadium;)

Again, a lot of this isn't the typical stuff that gets love here, but we think it came out pretty well. Tell us what you think.....

BTW, Adam, Alex, and Ralph......you guys are freakin' awesome!

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Leurck/The Steel Kage Suite Final 3.mp3

The
The

These aren't scanned but soft copies - the fonts may appear screwed up, but you can read the liner notes here:

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Images/The Steel Kage Suite Back.emf

Originally posted by Alex Flouros

ohh...here's the final resault...i've been waitingfor this..

awesome stuff!!!!!!

thanks a ton John for all the effort you have given to this and letting me be part of it...

i truly believe that you are the best composer on the forum...

So...having an awesome song to start with,i think it was kinda easy for us playing over it...

Adams parts are awesome..i love the symphonic,harmonized parts ala Queen..much feeling and expression...kudos for Adam...

The middle part was excellent..probably the best part of the song even without a solo...
:D

Ralphie was amazing and made me sound like a fool...
:D
that vibrato is to die for my friend...You should post tons of stuff here...Your are definatelly one of the best players all around...

Of course a big thanks to the ambassador of the forum and a great friend,Kage...you ROCK buddy!!

Alex

Originally posted by gainfreak

Well better late to the party then never!! I have been battling a stomach virus for the last few days and I haven

• Members

That was some awesome playing, guys.

John, you compositional skills are excellent, especially the piano/string things in the beginning.

Adam, this is probably the best I've heard you play - you know I'm a sucker for Brian May type harmonies :D

Alex and Ralph, you bastards just tore it up - {censored}ing A! :thu:

• Members

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kinds words!!

I forgot to mention Danyeo was correct. I used a J-station for my part. It was set to the recto setting with the mids on 10, treble down low and the bass on 0. I also used the greenback cab sim. No boost was used.

The harmony part was just double tracked.

Thank again to John.... You freaking Rock!!!

~R~

• Members

Originally posted by Alex Flouros

oh yeah...

the gear thing...

i used an Ibanez Reb Beach RBM2 guitar and the Diezel Einstein direct with the palmer PGA04...

also used a dunlop wah for the first part of the solo..

Alex

Alex,

For the rhythm parts on the last track I used the PGA04, too (Heritage HC150 -> Mesa Heartbreaker -> PGA04). Are you finding you like it better in "open back" or "closed back" mode? I don't know if it's because I've played combos so much more than head/cab setups, but I find the "closed back" eq'd kind of strange, and the "open back" a little more natural (I don't have to eq as drastically between the direct sound and how the amp would sound through a cab).

What's your take on the Palmer? I'm not knocking it - I actually love the thing, but I'm a little suprised that I don't gravitate towards the "closed back" setting considering the tones I generally go for.

• Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

Alex,

For the rhythm parts on the last track I used the PGA04, too (Heritage HC150 -> Mesa Heartbreaker -> PGA04). Are you finding you like it better in "open back" or "closed back" mode? I don't know if it's because I've played combos so much more than head/cab setups, but I find the "closed back" eq'd kind of strange, and the "open back" a little more natural (I don't have to eq as drastically between the direct sound and how the amp would sound through a cab).

What's your take on the Palmer? I'm not knocking it - I actually love the thing, but I'm a little suprised that I don't gravitate towards the "closed back" setting considering the tones I generally go for.

hmmm....i dont see an option on this about an open and closed back...

but here are all my settings on this..

volume-5

low-8

high-5

countour-light

hicut-off

full range-0

for some things it works great....i like it for solos...its a little weak for heavy rhythm work so in most rtm cases i record with mics..

for cleans it depends...for crystal chorus cleans its cool..but it wont produce the punch i would like for SRV semi drive tones...

cheers,

Alex

• Members

Sorry, it's the "Brown/Light" switch. Manual says brown is a closed-back emulation, light is the open back. I've had really good luck getting hollow-body jazz type cleans. I would like to mike up all the time here, but just can't. You can really mangle your tone with this thing, the tone controls are so sweeping. I'm with you - this thing kicks ass for leads, I just hardly ever use the brown feature.

• Members

Wow! That sounds fantastic! I'm glad I finally had a chance to listen (can someone please tell me what day it is?!). The playing is top notch and the production is just wonderful. I assume JL put it together (I haven't read the entire thread yet). John, you sir, have a great ear! Not only are all these guys exceptional musicians, but great people to boot. I am proud to know them, if only it's to know of them through a message board.

I find this so inspirational on so many levels. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Jason

• Members

Listening once again. I am still loving it as much as I did the first time through. Guys, to a man you all smoke. Adam, just killer guitar playing. Alex, ripping leads. Ralphie, ripping and so smooth.

John, you just did a fabulous job with this period. Great composition and superb putting it all together.

I know Kage is totally proud of this!

Gary

• Members

^ ......final bump before oblivion....

On behalf of the monsters that helped put this together, thanks for the encouraging words from all who commented. I'm going to close out the holiday season (yep, just got our stuff put away today!;)) with a bonus track, a Christmas message that I posted earlier.

Cheers and good will, people. Hope 2006 is your best year yet!

:thu:

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Leurck/Christmas 2005 O Come, O Come Emmanuel.mp3

BTW - nobody won the "guess the 'not-so-hidden' message contest. First person to PM with the correct answer wins a free pack of GHS Boomers 10-46. If you're notified that you're the winner, shoot me your address and I'll send them your way.

Archived