New Oberheim SEM - prices and mailing list

• Members

Tom is getting up there in years, and does not want to farm out manufacturing. He apparently thinks he can do a limited run of these things by sitting at his kitchen table and soldering them himself.

My guess is that he has NO clue that he could sell way more than 100 of these, and the demand will totally outstrip the supply.

I was thinking the same after watching the video and reading the website. That is why I will jump all over the opportunity to get one these while they last. You're right, he probably has no clue about how many people are going to want these, and we all know old people when it comes to doing things their way. I picture him sitting at his workbench, or kitchen table, assembling each unit, one-by-one. I just hope that I get an email that one is available for me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Patchpoints that will be available on the new SEM:

But you'll have to do the work yourself to make the patch breakout box...Telemark already has the semi-modular jacks.

If the sound is close I'd pay the extra (I'm not so good with my solderong iron..I,m morelikely to f-up my SEM)

• Members

But you'll have to do the work yourself to make the patch breakout box...Telemark already has the semi-modular jacks.

If the sound is close I'd pay the extra (I'm not so good with my solderong iron..I,m morelikely to f-up my SEM)

It's not like you have to solder wires to the circuit board or anything. SEM patch points are already run to a convenient multipin connector.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

He should sell them as a kit for $399. He'd eliminate a lot of labor costs and sell more units. Just a thought.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And increase his tech support problems 200-fold.

And end up with SEMs in the wild that are shoddy and don't work.

And spend his time bagging parts instead of just assembling them.

• Members

Holy {censored}. I just realized this thing was dual oscillator. Very cool.

I want one. But I think I should restore my Mellotron first and add a second tape frame for it. But expanding my Pro-One with an SEM would be bitchin'.

• Members

Called up audiomidi today and put some money down for a SEM MIDI unit. The girl said that they should be getting in their demo model next week. No word on date of availability but she said she will keep me posted. I am pretty psyched. :D

• Members

I highly doubt Tom is stuffing those boards by hand. It's highly likely these are SMT as through hole is fast becoming stone age. Farming out SMT board stuffing isn't that difficult or expensive anymore, even MOTM is doing it. More likely that Tom is doing final assembly and test.

• Members

Not that all of us here aren't already aware, but I just got an email from Tom Oberheim about pre-ordering the SEM. He states delivery of sometime in September.

Just posting this cause I am so psyched about the SEM. It is going to fit in quite nicely with my rig.

Archived