New Oberheim SEM - prices and mailing list

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Patchpoints that will be available on the new SEM:

Are these the same patchpoints as on the original SEMs?

I've been wondering how that programmer gizmo on the 4 and 8 voice work. Apparently it can store the knob positions of each SEM and recall them, meaning it has to be able to read and override the CVs generated by the knobs/switches on the SEMs. That would require a lot more patch points on each SEM, right?

• Members

I was thinking the same thing... this thing is going to KILL sales of the Mopho.

Well... one anyway... as now I would be snagging up one of these rather than a Mopho, but some others might want the Mopho's features (e.g. patch memory) at the lower price point.

Nothing else sounds like a SEM though...
:love:

Man, the Mopho can be had for under $300 used and for live gigs, patch memory is a must. I am sure there are people who will pit the Mopho against the SEM in their buying decision, but I feel the biggest competitor of the Mopho is probably the Evolver.

• Members

Someone interviewing Tom at the Red Bull Music Academy workshop noted that he was a bit "in the dark" as to how influential Oberheim gear was to electronic music over the past 20 years.

(see Update 8:24 on this page for details)

I wonder if he is also "in the dark" as to how popular this new one will be. He's going to get a LOT of orders once the floodgates open.

• Members

I was wondering, and it's hard to tell from the pics I've seen... how big (physically) is the SEM? Is it a big bulky thing (like it looks in pics), or is it fairly compact (smaller than it looks in pics)?

• Members

While I'm very excited about the SEM, and I don't care for the Mopho, I don't think they will compete.

$899 is a long way from $399 for budget-minded people.

The cheaper SEM versions, without MIDI, will be more for the modular and DIY community.

And supposedly Dave will be releasing the 4-voice Mopho (Tetr4) for only $799.

DSI is still the biggest bank-for-your-buck analog out there.

Gotharman's deMoon
looks like a more head-to-head competitor for the Mopho.

For me, the choice is more about the difference in sound than the price.

I have always loved the SEM sound whereas the MoPho doesn't do it for me, again, it's a personal choice and not dissing the MoPho at all.

Dave is to be commended in bringing analog synthesis in at that price, when there is competition in the marketplace, we all are winners in the long run.:)

• Members

This excites me so much more than the MoPho....sorry.
:love:

Indeed, Rick. I had to sell both my Two Voice and Four Voice almost twenty years ago to pay off some bills :cry:

I can definitely see myself jumping on this :thu:

ew

• Members

Are these the same patchpoints as on the original SEMs?

I've been wondering how that programmer gizmo on the 4 and 8 voice work. Apparently it can store the knob positions of each SEM and recall them, meaning it has to be able to read and override the CVs generated by the knobs/switches on the SEMs. That would require a lot more patch points on each SEM, right?

Great post and my thoughts exactly.... the thing is, IIRC the OB4/8 didn't store everything like a Prophet 5 did, just the main parameters... I guess the mixer settings won't be part of that equation either....

If he makes a 4 voice I'll be having it...

• Members

Anyone got any good demo recommendations from the original?

I've been wanting to get a Pro-One but the fact that I could get a new one of these for about the same price as a used pro-one off ebay has me thinking...

The two don't appear to sound alike at all, really. Something about the SEM makes me think it's more prone to effects-type stuff than your typical bass / leads. Is this an incorrect assumption?

EDIT: Thinking some more...man it would be nice that I could probably take the SEM to gigs without fear of it not working...

Any thoughts at all on this stupid comparison are more than welcome.

• Members

Now that we have not one but multiplechoices for computer DAW-CV interfacing (MOTU Volta, somebody's Max/MSP patch, and the Expert Sleepers thing), one has the option of skipping the MIDI option and just getting the one with CV only.

• Members

Anyone got any good demo recommendations from the original?

The "horns" in Weather Report's Birdland are SEM.

I've been wanting to get a Pro-One but the fact that I could get a new one of these for about the same price as a used pro-one off ebay has me thinking...

The two don't appear to sound alike at all, really.

They don't. The most obvious and noticeable difference is the SEM two pole state variable filter vs the four pole LPF of the Pro-One.

Something about the SEM makes me think it's more prone to effects-type stuff than your typical bass / leads. Is this an incorrect assumption?

I think it is. In fact, multiple SEMs work really well for basses and leads if you're using rotate mode. Because you can never program the SEMs to be exactly the same, you get a nice "organic" feel that's so often missing in your more traditional mono synth leads and basses.

ew

• Members

Next thing after SEM, Tom should reissue the MINI SEQUENCER as well, because it was very important part of the two voice as you could sequence one voice and play the other... very creative possibilities within one and same synth.

And now, as I have always wanted SEMs, now it's possible... i never had any possibilities to buy the originals as they all are so expensive... also because I do not use ebay, the only source for the old oberheims is one company in USA that sells carefully serviced units and can guarantee that their synths works so no ebay suprises... but the serviced 2-voice can cost $2799 without sequencer, and $3799 with sequencer!!! No joke... :facepalm:

So what do you think about that? Of course the price is higher because of their expert work but still... how much SEMs and X-voices are sold in ebay?

When considering those prices... I couldn't be more happy!!! :D

Anyway, I also agree that the lack of patch memory is also a good thing as it drives you to make sounds by yourself... no preset madness of digital synths here!

Also, for those who wonder about the sound of original SEMs:

[YOUTUBE]6yFMbd1LLYA&fmt=18[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I like my Mopho,better analog sound than the Evolver and I would like an SEM as well.Why the comparisions of the Mopho and SEM?2 different synths in sound and price point?Apples and Oranges.The upcoming 4 voice Mopho may be a better comparision at least at price point.I hope they both sell well and keep coming up with under $1000 Relable Analog synths.A win for all.JD

• Members

Oh my...I am pretty sure that I will be getting one of these. I may have already exceeded my yearly synth budget, but screw it, I must get it (assuming it comes within a year). I think that is a decent price for these days.

• Members

Those people expecting 2 Voices, 4 Voices, sequencers and other Oberheim oldies are doomed to disappointment, I fear.

Tom is getting up there in years, and does not want to farm out manufacturing. He apparently thinks he can do a limited run of these things by sitting at his kitchen table and soldering them himself.

My guess is that he has NO clue that he could sell way more than 100 of these, and the demand will totally outstrip the supply.

• Members

Those people expecting 2 Voices, 4 Voices, sequencers and other Oberheim oldies are doomed to disappointment, I fear.

Tom is getting up there in years, and does not want to farm out manufacturing. He apparently things he can do a limited run of these things by sitting at his kitchen table and soldering them himself.

My guess is that he has NO clue that he could sell way more than 100 of these, and the demand will totally outstrip the supply.

That is totally possible. Same happened to EMS when they started to reproduce their classic synths... just have an order and you are in 5 years waiting line... that's sad.

At least I have high hopes for Tom. Let's see how this will be turn out.

Meanwhile, thumbs up! :thu:

• Members

Through the MIDI implementation on these units you could already use a simple MIDI filtering program to create an N voice polyphonic SEM controlled by the keyboard of your choice. So I have to agree that there will probably be no reissues of the 2,4 or 8 voice. I think Mr. Oberheim knew exactly what he was doing by including the MIDI option, and it has opened up a lot of creative possibilities for SEMs.

• Members

.Why the comparisions of the Mopho and SEM?2 different synths in sound and price point?Apples and Oranges.I hope they both sell well and keep coming up with under $1000 Relable Analog synths.A win for all.JD

You are right, the only reason I mentioned the MoPho is they are both modern mono analog synthesizers, they are both produced by synth gurus and the price difference to me is close enough to make a comparison.

How a synth sounds, the noise it makes, how it will be used is always a personal viewpoint and because of that, our opinion is just that..an opinion.

Enjoy your MoPho and I bet the SEM and it would sound great together.;)

Archived