New Oberheim SEM - prices and mailing list

• Members

Tom's site was updated this morning. It now includes prices and an email address to sign up for his mailing list.

http://tomoberheim.com/

* SEM with MIDI: $899

* SEM with CV/Gate inputs (no MIDI): $749

* Basic SEM panel (no case or power supply, good for drop-in replacement of original SEM): $599

I'm sure owners of 2-Voices and 4-Voices are happy about that last item. :wave:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, $150 for a MIDI to CV converter?

Are you saying that is expensive? Wow, I guess people will complain about anything.

Seems about right to me, given what a MIDI->CV converter goes for in the modular world (Euro, Frac, etc.)

Plus it includes the interface panel - plenty of buttons and LEDs for MIDI options.

• Members

Wow, $150 for a MIDI to CV converter?

Yeah, that's about what you can expect to pay for one. Doepfer's is 110 Euro, which is probably more than $150 US. Doepfer is one of the cheapest brands out there too.

• Members

Wow... 600 for the bare SEM... one could build a 4-voice for under $3K, or an 8-voice for around $5k.

I wonder if Tom will one day release modernized versions of the 2, 4, and 8-voice that use the new SEMs, containing poly-capable MIDI-CV converters or keyboard. After all, some are going to want SEM based polysynths. Or maybe a single SEM that has a poly MIDI/CV that can be chained to additional SEMs.

• Members

* SEM with MIDI input and MIDI to CV routing panel (as shown in above photo): $899

* SEM with patch panel connections to internal inputs and outputs (no MIDI input, same as above photo but left panel controls are replaced by CV/gate/audio I/O patch panel): $749

Does the MIDI unit still have all the CV I/O as the other??

I want a unit with both MIDI and full CV. :confused:

• Members

I imagine that this will decimate the ebay price for vintage SEMs, especially if this new one does have the same sonic magic. I've noticed an unusually large number of SEMs and Two-Voices on the bay in recent months.

This is what I'm wondering about. How close will it sound. If it gets close it will become a must have for me and a lot of other people. Can't wait to hear it. I'm liking the price point. This is definitely something to get excited about.

• Members

So what I'm thinking is ... if he's done the replacement SEMs, how far away can we be from a keyboard frame with 2 or 4 slots and an add-on box for 4 more slots (giving you the 8 voice). And maybe to the left of the keyboard a programming module for saving patches ... above that a step sequencer ... ooooooooo .... scuze me while I take a cold shower!

• Members

Hah. :lol:

This one will will have all the magic of the original, except in one key respect. Many internet hours will be spent by purists crying over this fact. Debates will ensue.

Two years later the reputation of this synth will arise from the ashes ...

How am I doing. ? :wave:

• Members

This excites me so much more than the MoPho....sorry.
:love:

I was thinking the same thing... this thing is going to KILL sales of the Mopho.

Well... one anyway... as now I would be snagging up one of these rather than a Mopho, but some others might want the Mopho's features (e.g. patch memory) at the lower price point.

Nothing else sounds like a SEM though... :love:

• Members

While I'm very excited about the SEM, and I don't care for the Mopho, I don't think they will compete.

$899 is a long way from $399 for budget-minded people.

The cheaper SEM versions, without MIDI, will be more for the modular and DIY community.

And supposedly Dave will be releasing the 4-voice Mopho (Tetr4) for only $799.

DSI is still the biggest bank-for-your-buck analog out there.

Gotharman's deMoon looks like a more head-to-head competitor for the Mopho.

Archived