I got my Matchless Clubman in the mail today :)

zadiqof

• Members

I just received my 93' Matchless Clubman (tourqoise face).

I noticed the newer Matchless amps have burlier parts; the back piece of wood that protects the tubes on the older amps is flimsy in comparison to the rock hard piece they put on the newer unit. The screws are slightly larger in newer units. The cabinets are also slightly taller in the newer units.

Sound-wise, they're both top notch. I havent played a Sampson era Chieftain (dunno if they made one), and I havent played a new Clubman, but they both sound top notch next to each other, although I do prefer the sound of the Clubman as a personal preference (probably because I call for more crunch/gain rather than headroom).

I'll post pictures soon.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

What does it sound like?

I've never tried one.
:(

Alot of people relate them to ballzier, prettier versions hand wired Vox AC-30's.

The Clubman clean sounds alot like a super reverb with a bit more roundness and girth. The overdriven signal sounds a bit like a plexi, once again, with a bit more roundness smoothness and girth.

The Chieftain clean sounds alot like a bassman with a bit more brightness and girth. The Chieftain overdriven sounds alot like an ac30 with more girth, more of a grainy sound.

• Members

For those interested, you can get a pretty good idea of the Clubman sound by checking out the solo on the tune "Give me Something to Say" at my last band's myspace page. It happens around 3:25 in the song. Also, the majority of the rhythms on "I'll Say Anything" are Clubman as well. I rented that amp for the session, and it has haunted me ever since.

www.myspace.com/triggerfinger

Archived