SH201 not fitting in the mix with other instruments?

• Members

My bandmates and I just wrote a song, and I'm trying to make a synth part for it...

But the sounds on my sh201 don't seem to fit well with guitars and drums and stuff...

This isn't the first time I've had this problem, any suggestions for future purchases or advice :cry:

• Members

My bandmates and I just wrote a song, and I'm trying to make a synth part for it...

But the sounds on my sh201 don't seem to fit well with guitars and drums and stuff...

This isn't the first time I've had this problem, any suggestions for future purchases or advice
:cry:

It's probably not the synth. What type of sound are you trying to use? Backing pad, lead, something else? You might be 'stepping on' or over-riding someone else's frequency 'sweet spot'. You could try shifting up or down in range, or down in volume.

• Members

So many possible reasons...

. The sound is either coming in too hot (causing distortion) or too low

. Patches need more tweaking to fit in. It's better that they blend in while you are playing, rather than having to fix it later with massive amounts of EQ, which never works well

. VAs need the right effects or they can sound like crap, most of them at least, and certainly the SH-201. Are you using the built-in effects or adding them later?

. Too much effects, on the other hand, will sound fine by itself, but then once you blend in other instruments, it will be a huge pile of sonic mess. Balance here is key...

. Lack of mixing skillz (i.e. too much EQ, or wrong EQ)

. Ears might be tired after a day of playing and recording

. Instruments battling for the same frequencies, as mildbill stated

. etc

• Members

Well, it is possible that depending on the type of stuff you're trying to do in a band setting, you might be better off with a rompler/workstation type board.

Those cover the traditional bases better and usually throw in some synth type sounds as well.

• Members

It's probably not the synth. What type of sound are you trying to use? Backing pad, lead, something else? You might be 'stepping on' or over-riding someone else's frequency 'sweet spot'. You could try shifting up or down in range, or down in volume.

It's kind of a bell type pad sound.

• Members

Your asking something equivalent to "I drove a car and didn't like it? What do I change so I can like the car I drive?"

Upload an mp3 of the song with the synth part in question and we can give you a decent answer.

• Members

Use the bells sparingly ... (they are generally kind of suspect tastewise imo ... )

If with these bells you are playing low to mid notes it seems there could be a lot of sonic overlap with your bandmates ...

My feeling is the best songs with synths are written with the synth parts in mind and not just trying to fit in something after the fact which usually means trying to find some layers of the upper frequencies to do a little Irish jig ... Other musicians can be such pigs with the sonic output of their instruments ...

yeah ... let's hear an MP3 ... plus you need to take a pic of your soon-to-be cozy piano room ... :cop:

• Members

Use the bells sparingly ... (they are generally kind of suspect tastewise imo ... )

If with these bells you are playing low to mid notes it seems there could be a lot of sonic overlap with your bandmates ...

My feeling is the best songs with synths are written with the synth parts in mind and not just trying to fit in something after the fact which usually means trying to find some layers of the upper frequencies to do a little Irish jig ... Other musicians can be such pigs with the sonic output of their instruments ...

yeah ... let's hear an MP3 ... plus you need to take a pic of your soon-to-be cozy piano room ...
:cop:

Oh yeah!

and I worked out my sounds

I dont have a camera though...

• Members

This isn't the first time I've had this problem, any suggestions for future purchases or advice
:cry:

any song can be fixed by creative application of the three magic words:

Needs

More

Cowbell

:idea:

• Members

I'm going to ruin someones day here..

It's a Roland, so I'm not shocked it doesn't mix nice with other instruments. I always feel that Rolands lack too much punch to really cut through a mix.

I really needed to get that out of my system :)

• Members

I'm going to ruin someones day here..

It's a Roland, so I'm not shocked it doesn't mix nice with other instruments. I always feel that Rolands lack too much punch to really cut through a mix.

I really needed to get that out of my system
:)

More filter and less sweep on your generalizations, please.

;)

• Members

That's also very true D. But I think everyone knows by now that I'm just throwing my biased opinion out there. Who knows, might even be useful for the OP.

Yes an excuse for me to go out an buy another synth... :lol:

But in all seriousness I've been tweaking a lot, and it's kind of working but it's really not sounding that great with other instruments :S.. I'm gonna keep trying though

eh

• Members

Yes an excuse for me to go out an buy another synth...
:lol:

But in all seriousness I've been tweaking a lot, and it's kind of working but it's really not sounding that great with other instruments :S.. I'm gonna keep trying though

eh

I run into similar problems. The SH-201 needs lots of space in the mix. Sounds great by itself but it is difficult to place in the mix. However, it is great for these Depeche Mode Speak&Spell JP-4 sounds and after all, their mixes sound good.

Archived