OT-ish: Let's talk about guitar players... (don't shoot me please)

Tomkeen

• Members

I know, I know.. Keyboardists don't usually like guitarists. Their ego's are to big, the play WAY to loud, they overplay and get all the attention from the chicks..

Those, imo, are mainly the guitarists in mine and your neighbourhoods. They might gig here and there, but will likely make it to the top. There are good ones out there though. Though it sometimes is hard to believe, some of them actually try to play what's good for the music, listen to other people in the band and don't mind if the keyboardplayer or maybe even bass player do a solo instead of them.

Guys like this:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Great player, great chops, tasty as {censored}. Guys like Steve Lukather, Roine Stolt, Neal Schon etc etc... I love 'em :D

What are you're favorite guitarists?

• Members

Oh, I missed the part about "who are your favorite guitarists?". I somehow thought the question was "Which guitarists play well with keyboard players (as in not too damn loud or overbearing)?".

Favorite guitarists:

Pat Metheny

Allan Holdsworth

David Torn

Andy McKee

Kaki King

Fred Frith

Hans Reichel

Yamandu Costa

D'Gary

Both guys in Radiohead (Ed plays about as many lead guitar parts as Johnny these days)

Terje Rypdal

Rafael and Raimundo Amador - flamenco bad boys (apparently playing blues licks on distorted electric guitar instead of sticking to acoustic all the time qualifies you as a "bad boy" in the flamenco world)

Nels Cline

Eric Johnson

Jonsi

Jimi!!!

Of the above, I've heard Holdsworth, Rypdal, Metheny, Ed O'Brien, Frith, Torn, and King play well with keyboard players. Of the above, Johnson and Greenwood also play keyboards.

• Members

I'm a guitarist and vocalist primarily myself, and composing heavily guitar-oriented music tends to bore me to the grave, plus everyone and their pet halibut play the guitar.

That's why I started playing additional plucked and bowed string instruments, woodwinds, ethnic percussion... and of course keyboards aswell, as I've always been drawn towards instruments such as the hammond, the pipe organ, the continental, the harpsichord, the minimoog and so on. I really do appreciate a great fat analog synth solo in particular, although it feels as if it's easier to "express" myself playing the guitar.

I work as a solo performer (well, solo, I tend to use semi-orchestral arrangements) and I play in a bunch of bands, encompassing fusion, prog, folk, electronica, baroque-ish pop, experimental and whatnot, and although I'm officially a guitarist in almost any given constallation, I do realize the importance of sonic versatility, and tend to encourage the others to play solos aswell.

Most guitar players are so clich

• Members

Wow, never actually heard Wichita Lineman. Just heard it from a KLF reference.

thanks for sharing that, made my day.

I was tongue in cheek with Glen Campbell

But it is a well written melodic tune from 1968. the arrangement is a touch syrupy but that can be changed.

When I was in Maui a few years ago , I jammed out the changes and melody

on piano. Good for the repertoire

:thu:

• Members

I'm with Cygnus: Steve Howe, Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour.

Also Jerry Garcia, Lindsey Buckingham, and metal master JEFF LOOMIS

None of my favorite musicians are keyboard players. They are singers/songwriters/guitarists/Drummers.

Archived