How heavy can a SPLAWN QuickRod get????

Kyle DiSanto

• Members

Im just thinking in terms of the future here. I really like the savage 120 but I have a feeling that its not going to be what I need while in a band, so I might get annother amp for live use. I like the Marshall sound...CRUNCH, some Sizzle, and dry/liquidy...kinda in the middle. THe thing is that all the clips I hear are more hard rock than metal ala Fear Factory, Slayer,Machine Head, Pantera...etc.. I was wondering if it can saturate and get heavy enough to produce tones suitable for these styles...you can check out my soundclick page to see a tiny idea of what I play..but not limited to.

I really liked my cobra cause it had the marshall thing going on, but it never sounded how I wanted at low volumes and It had soo much bass that it was rather dark sounding...more of the Wall of sound. Im looking for sounding in the view of the cobra, but say...more improved. Less muddy(cobra can get muddy at times.)

THANKS

• Members

I have a QR and it can get as heavy as you can play. I have to be honest...when I think of a few of those bands you named...I think of absence of tone. The QR can do serious high gain...but with depth, texture and complexity to the sound. I think that's why the QR high gain sound sometimes throws off the brewtal metal types...because it actually sounds like it has more going on than just tons of gain and a crushing low end. I've said it a million times...you get out of the QR what you put into it. It's just one man's opinion, but I think that most metal amps have no character...and the QR actually does.

• Members

I think the QR gets heavy as {censored} in third gear...and it's got nice and focused low end, no matter how high you dial it in..

and it's got that friggin' growl like no other....

I think with either drop tunings or active pickups it would destroy just about anything

• Members

Originally posted by Chrisjd

Seriously man, play around with a 5150, they saturate reallllllly well, and they are more or less a really hot-rodded marshal. they are cheap, and absolutely crush. machine head actually have been using these all along.

Ive owned a 5150 and 5150II ...even got the II modded by voodoo. The 5150 just doesnt do it for me as much as other amps.

• Members

when it comes to heaviness i'd say the splawn could step into cobra territory no problem...dunno about low volume stuff, i remember the volume knob on the splawn being pretty touchy and quickly going from real quiet to LOUD

i'd say 2nd gear, could compete with the cobra's crunch channel easily...given i like less gain than a lot of guys here

• Members

the QR can get heavy, i thought the same thing about can it get heavier tones. i was at dereks place yesterday and played one and it was really nice. i played some heavy stuff with it and it sounded good. we played it fairly loud so i cant tell how it is at low vol.

• Members

Can't comment on the Quick Rod specifically, but I owned a Pro Mod and it was a superior amp in every sense of the word and could get heavy as hell!

The only drawback FOR ME was that it needed to be pushed a bit too much to get into what I considered great tone territory..... not real conducive to home jamming. But excellent at louder volume.

• Members

I had a 5150, original block letter...and I didn't really like it...especially at lower volumes...

I think the QR sounds great at any volume..does it sound better a little bit cranked in an open stage environment? hell yeah...

does it sound bad in a bedroom at lower voulumes? hell NO...

all my clips were recorded at lower volumes...and I just shot some video of endless wankage at lower volumes as wel that I should be gettin' on the net tonight..so I'll post that as soon as I make a little movie out of the footage..

• Members

Originally posted by crwnedblasphemy

Rotinpain? Do you like the Savage then the most? Cuz I like your Cobra Clip better than any of your savage ones....

I deffintly like the savage alot..essp for low volume playing, even when you crank it...its starts sounding really mean! Do I like the cobra better? Its really a toss up...They excell at what they do best. The cobra can get super heavy but doesnt have the in between tones, and its harder to get a smaller sound..(good sometimes).

I might end up selling the savage and getting a fireball for home stuff and something else for band use...but that is once I start up annother band lol! Savage is gunna stick around for a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarded_1

I have a QR and it can get as heavy as you can play. I have to be honest...when I think of a few of those bands you named...I think of absence of tone. The QR can do serious high gain...but with depth, texture and complexity to the sound. I think that's why the QR high gain sound sometimes throws off the brewtal metal types...because it actually sounds like it has more going on than just tons of gain and a crushing low end. I've said it a million times...you get out of the QR what you put into it. It's just one man's opinion, but I think that most metal amps have no character...and the QR actually does.

I've got serious problems with my QR...and that is I don't own another one.

Spoiled is pretty much the way I'll sum up my experience with the QR. It's that good. For example, I truly love the JSX...think it's one of the best deals on the market, especially considering I got mine from the MF deal. But recently we've been auditioning drummers, found one so we've been rehearsing our set list...well in order to not wear out my tubes on the QR I figured I use my JSX till we get close to gigging. Bottome line, as great as the JSX is...it's just not in the same ball park as the QR. It's just night and day...and the JSX is a fine amp IMO.

So I agree 100% with what guitarded said. My only complaint is the volume knob...much like the 5150, you have to give her a little volume before she takes off...other than that, it's perfect. If you can play it, it can do it.

• Members

THanks for the responses guys! Im wondering how much gain/saturation that the Quick Rod has....Like compared to a 5150, Mesa recto or Framus cobra..if that helps..

Is it dry sounding or more liquidy/wet?

Does it have that crunchy sizzle like the Framus cobrA?

Thanks for any help,

PEACE

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

THanks for the responses guys! Im wondering how much gain/saturation that the Quick Rod has....Like compared to a 5150, Mesa recto or Framus cobra..if that helps..

Is it dry sounding or more liquidy/wet?

Does it have that crunchy sizzle like the Framus cobrA?

Thanks for any help,

PEACE

it's very crunchy and has alott gain...

that being said, it's not a scooped sound...it's alot more open sounding than alotta other high gainers I've played..

to me it sounds leagues better than a recto or 5150..I've had both...

never played a cobra though

• Members

+1 to everything in this thread. The QR has a distintive tone to it. My other guitarist has a 5150, and truthfully, that amp has more gain on tap than anyone could ever possibly use...but it isn't close to the organic gain of the QR. The other amps in my signature are collecting dust right now.

As others have stated, the amp sounds "decent" at low volumes, but oh my friggin' stars does it sound sweet when pushed. Another thing worth mentioning, the sweet spot on the amp is huge...from about 8:30 on the dial on up. At 8:30, you're above bedroom levels, but not quite at gig levels. If you ever have the opportunity to push the volume knob to about noon...and you live to tell about it...you'll die a happy man.

• Members

Originally posted by dogmikael

Which model is this splawn head? does it have the 3rd gear? they are very rare in italy...almost impossible to find...and this one is for sale at 1300 eur...

that looks like dirrty craig's =D

anywho, that's a second generation QR...seperate clean and OD eq, but no third gear..just low (first gear) and high (second gear) inputs

still a great amp though...

Archived