Plate Voltage - Idle versus Load

colejustesen

• Members

I am wanting to replace my power tubes in my Engl Fireball. So I emailed Engl to see what the plate voltage is, this is what I got in response:

Hi

The voltage is about 430V DC in idle and about 405V DC in load.

Regards

Alex

I guess what I need to know is what voltage to do I go off of to calculate where I need to bias my power tubes? I would think that idle would be in standby and load would be actually playing, but I really don't know.

If someone could shed some light on this for me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Cole

• Members

Originally posted by colejustesen

Duesentrieb - Thanks for the chart, I don't understand it fully. I don't get what each line stands for, could you elaborate?

red = 6L6GCs (30 Watts max.) @ 70%

black = 6L6 (25 Watts max.) @ 70%

blue = 6L6GCs (30 Watts max.) @ 60%

pink = 6L6 (25 Watts max.) @ 60%

• Members

Originally posted by colejustesen

Also, I am doing the calculation with the 430 volt that Engl sent me in this equation:

(30/430) x 700 = 48.837 mA

Is 48 mA too much for 6L6 type tubes? I thought I read somewhere that for 6L6 tubes you don't want to go over 37 mA. Thanks for any input!

Cole

The calculation is for 30 Watts and 70%. I'd be careful, not every 6L6 is rated for 30 Watts output. Don't try more than that, 37mA should be fine, too. Last but not least, let your ears decide as Olaf said: a hot setting might sound a bit muddy at high volumes.

Edit: ah crap, Olaf already said everything I wrote. That's three minutes of my life I'll never get back. :D

• Members

When I bought my amp I bought it used so the tubes in it aren't the original Engl tubes. I just looked at my power tubes to see that they are JAN/Philips 6L6WGB how would these compare to TAD 6L6GC-STR or the TAD 6L6WGC-STR? I mostly play metal and it sounds as if the TAD 6L6GC-STR would be good for that style of music. Thanks for the input, I appreciate everything!

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

Archived