g12t-75 vs. newer celestions

c2dzmm

• Members

I am curious how a jcm 800 head will sound with the original g12t-75's or newer celestions. Have a jcm 900 cab with all original speakers that I can buy. Is this a good thing or do I want the newer celestions? I play hard rock to metal.

• Members

I don't know if this will help you but broken-in speakers are nice

My v-30 and gt75 cabs didn't start sounding good till I had probably over a hundred hours of playing on them... When they were new they were rigid and a little shrill... now they breathe more and are smoooooth

• Members

Do you like strong mids or not? The G12T-75 have relaxed, but warm mids.....meaning, there isn't much in terms of mids. Marshalls usually have a good amount of mids anyways, so it would probably balance out the sound. Brand new speakers might hurt your ears with highs early on, but like stated above, after they've had the crap kicked out of them for a few days/weeks/months, they'll get sweeter and sweeter. In more words than less: the G12T-75s would be great for metal.

• Members

For what it's worth;

We've done extensive A/B comparisons on the older GT75's verses the newer GT75's (which I'm sure Rick at Celestion can attest to--ha, ha). The bottom line is once the newer Celestions are broken in they sound virtually identical to the older ones. I would say they sound exactly the same buy naturally the older 75's we have here have a great deal more playing time on them.

Hope it helps
Trace

• Members

I have a Marshall straight 412 JCM800 cabinet that i had a chance to crank tonight to a really good apartment shaking level. The celestion 75s in there stayed pretty tight and clean.

keep in mind that I've changed the wiring inside my 412 cabinet with thicker gauge wire and I've re-enforced the back panel of the cab with support panels and added some Polyester foam.

I personally think marshall cabinets are great cabs for the buck. Do couple of things to them like re-enforce the back panel for better support and replace the wiring, and they'll handle the high volumes alot better.

I do have some Celestion Classic Lead 80 (2) speakers coming my way that I am gonna try to mix with the 75s to see how they compare.

Good luck!

Archived