My Ebay nightmare... unbeleivable

bluesboy

• Members

Jesus Christ, what a week... So I buy a Gibson les paul classic 2004 on saturday. I win the auction for $1025. i pay $93 for 3 day UPS, and an extra $20 for insurance. The guy then says he has a gig on saturday night, but will use his "old" guitar... OK. He says he will polish this one up and get it ready for shipping monday or tuesday. h eemails me tuesday saying he sent it via US mail "which was a bit more expensive" but I would get it next day. I receive it today... he didn't even put it in a freaking box!!!! I come home tonight at 8PM, and there is the hard case taped up (not very well I might add) with the postage stamp right on it. Guess hwta it says? $62!!! He {censored}ed me on shipping, and lied about it in his email, and the proof is right there on the {censored}ing sticker!!!! So i open the case... the guitar is filthy. Not horrible, but certainly not "polished up." The action is high, and there is a huge amount of relief in the neck. I demanded a refund for shipping ($30 he owes me) and $25 for the setup it needs. If not, I will leave him a negative, and ill probably receive one in return even though I paid 1150 the same night. I told him if the truss rod doesnt work i want a full refund and hell hear from my credit card company... what do you guys make of this? Am i over-reacting?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That sucks man. I don't know how you guys do it however, that is, buying a guitar before even trying it. Every guitar is different, every neck feels different - I couldn't possibly buy a guitar before trying it. I guess this is the new way of trying out guitars: buy it on ebay, and if it sucks, sell it back to a chump.

• Members

Of course I realize it could be worse... the neck seems straight, just too much releif and it needs a good cleaning. There seems to be some separation where the binding meets the neck, but it doesn't look cracked (at least i dont think). The body has some checking I wasn't really aware of, but no biggie there. You also don't understand the ordeal I had to go through at the post office too.... I don't even want to go there.

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

Of course I realize it could be worse... the neck seems straight, just too much releif and it needs a good cleaning. There seems to be some separation where the binding meets the neck, but it doesn't look cracked (at least i dont think). The body has some checking I wasn't really aware of, but no biggie there. You also don't understand the ordeal I had to go through at the post office too.... I don't even want to go there.

separation? like how? a finish crack?

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

JAm i over-reacting?

I think so. No box sucks, but he quoted you a shipping rate and you agreed to it and paid it. Fedex shipping costs about $20 including insurance by the way. It's pretty much a given that a guitar is going to need a set up. I wouldn't bitch about that. I'd expect it.

Sound more like a minor annoyance than a nightmare compared to some of the ebay stories floating around. At least you didn't get ripped off. A good set up and a squirt of pledge and you'll have forgotten all about it.

• Members

yeah... im just venting i guess, but im sure you guys would be peeved if it happened to you. I understand he gave me a shipping quote and i paid it, but he didn't ship the way I paid for, he went a cheaper route and he lied about it. That's what pissed me off the most...

• Members

Originally posted by Captain_howdy

separation? like how? a finish crack?

thers a very fine straight line looks like where the fretboard actuall attachs to the neck... it goes off and on basically up the whole neck (some on the top and some on the bottom)

• Members

Pics??

oh and, pictures speak louder than feedbacks. Leave him the neg. feedback with a link to the pics of the guitar and the "shipping box" which doesnt exist basically. Post that link in his feedback and let people know what a jerk he is..

Sorry about your experience.

• Members

Originally posted by LnTh

Pics??

oh and, pictures speak louder than feedbacks. Leave him the neg. feedback with a link to the pics of the guitar and the "shipping box" which doesnt exist basically. Post that link in his feedback and let people know what a jerk he is..

Sorry about your experience.

Ebay would never, ever let you put a link in someone's feedback. Ever.

Archived