A little help from the tech guru's please

Markymarc1979

• Members

I had my 5150 modded last year by a local tech (bias pot installed), now I would like to switch my 6L6's with a new matched set of JJ 6L6gc's.

Here's the question, I just got a new Multimeter, and when I connect my bias probe up i'm getting no reading. I am pretty sure the amp was biased around 32ma when I had the work done to it.

I am 99.9% sure i am doing it correct, but any help/pointers would be welcome.

Here's the bias probe and multimeter in using I had it set on 200 DCV and yet nothing, I also tried all the tube sockets, and not a sausage. Oh yeah the tube was lighting up ok as well, so no problem there.

DSCF0024.jpg

Marc

• Members

Your picture of your multimeter is kinda fuzzy, but when you are measureing ma (milli-amps) you want to make sure your multi-meter is set to the 200u on the "A" side. Take a look at this one, it's the closest I could find to yours on google images:

E-M-1005k.jpg

See the 200u on the "A" side ... thats your spot for measuring milli-amps.

Now if you are trying to meaure milli-volts, go for the 200 on the "V" side.

I wanted to get this in my post too, from Randall's amp website:

Quote From Randall Amplifiers

BIAS READINGS:

6L6/5881 28mV to 35mV

EL34/6CA7 30mV to 38mV

E34Ls 35mV to 45mV

6550 35mV to 45mV

Meter displays differ from one meter to the next. Some may indicate for example, 30.0 for 30 millivolts. Others may show .030 for 30

millivolts.

Advanced theory (for those who care):

Those of you with electronic knowledge may notice we are referring to current draw but are making measurements in millivolts. Ohms

law states that I=E/R or current (I) equals voltage (E) divided by resistance ®. Inside the amp are one ohm resistors in the cathodes of

the output tubes. The external test points allow access to those resistors. When you measure across those resistors at the rear panel

test points, you are reading the DC voltage drop across a one ohm resistor. Referring to ohms law, if R=1 in the formula, then I = E or

current equals voltage. So when you read for example, 30mV you are also seeing the equivalent value of current or 30mA.

WARNING: Do not be tempted to run your tubes hotter than the maximum values in the chart. You may find it sounds really cool as

you destroy your expensive tubes and possibly damage your amp, of course voiding your warranty! Also, in case you haven

• Members

Originally posted by Irish_whiplash

I had my 5150 modded last year by a local tech (bias pot installed), now I would like to switch my 6L6's with a new matched set of JJ 6L6gc's.

Here's the question, I just got a new Multimeter, and when I connect my bias probe up i'm getting no reading. I am pretty sure the amp was biased around 32ma when I had the work done to it.

I am 99.9% sure i am doing it correct, but any help/pointers would be welcome.

Here's the bias probe and multimeter in using I had it set on 200 DCV and yet nothing, I also tried all the tube sockets, and not a sausage. Oh yeah the tube was lighting up ok as well, so no problem there.

DSCF0024.jpg

Marc

Marc !

You have to measure the current, not the voltage.

200 milliamps DC current, DCA !

Do You have a current meter ?

Peter

• Members

Originally posted by Peter Diezel

Marc !

You have to measure the current, not the voltage.

200 milliamps DC current, DCA !

Do You have a current meter ?

Peter

Peter,

Yeah I have a current meter, 200m DCA right?, alas after a quick check (which I know I should have done) I have a blown fuse, and will not be able to get one till tomorrow!!

That explains alot!

Marc

• Members

Originally posted by Phrostbit

Your picture of your multimeter is kinda fuzzy, but when you are measureing ma (milli-amps) you want to make sure your multi-meter is set to the 200u on the "A" side. Take a look at this one, it's the closest I could find to yours on google images:

E-M-1005k.jpg

See the 200u on the "A" side ... thats your spot for measuring milli-amps.

Now if you are trying to meaure milli-volts, go for the 200 on the "V" side.

I wanted to get this in my post too, from Randall's amp website:

Quote From Randall Amplifiers

BIAS READINGS:

6L6/5881 28mV to 35mV

EL34/6CA7 30mV to 38mV

E34Ls 35mV to 45mV

6550 35mV to 45mV

Meter displays differ from one meter to the next. Some may indicate for example, 30.0 for 30 millivolts. Others may show .030 for 30

millivolts.

Advanced theory (for those who care):

Those of you with electronic knowledge may notice we are referring to current draw but are making measurements in millivolts. Ohms

law states that I=E/R or current (I) equals voltage (E) divided by resistance ®. Inside the amp are one ohm resistors in the cathodes of

the output tubes. The external test points allow access to those resistors. When you measure across those resistors at the rear panel

test points, you are reading the DC voltage drop across a one ohm resistor. Referring to ohms law, if R=1 in the formula, then I = E or

current equals voltage. So when you read for example, 30mV you are also seeing the equivalent value of current or 30mA.

WARNING: Do not be tempted to run your tubes hotter than the maximum values in the chart. You may find it sounds really cool as

you destroy your expensive tubes and possibly damage your amp, of course voiding your warranty! Also, in case you haven

• Members

Peter,

Yeah I have a current meter, 200m DCA right?, alas after a quick check (which I know I should have done) I have a blown fuse, and will not be able to get one till tomorrow!!

That explains alot!

Marc

Yes, You made a short like me everyday :-))

• Members

If that bias probe is like most of them you'll want to measure DC voltage, not amps. You'll be measuring the voltage drop across a 1 ohm resistor inside it which will give you your bias reading. Beacuse of ohms law the voltage you read will be equal to the current draw of that tube.

You get no reading on all tubes or just one or two? If you get no reading on some, but you do get a reading on other then I'll guarantee you have an open screen grid resistor on any tube that has no reading.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

If that bias probe is like most of them you'll want to measure DC voltage, not amps. You'll be measuring the voltage drop across a 1 ohm resistor inside it which will give you your bias reading. Beacuse of ohms law the voltage you read will be equal to the current draw of that tube.

You get no reading on all tubes or just one or two? If you get no reading on some, but you do get a reading on other then I'll guarantee you have an open screen grid resistor on any tube that has no reading.

Jerry

So Jerry when I replace the fuse, just so i'm clear....200m DCV not 200m DCA, by the way the bias probe is the Groove tubes one.

• Members

I may need another multimeter as this one does not have 200mv as an option. 200m on the DCV option is as low as it goes.

Um...that is actually the setting. :) Add the "m" to the "V" (of "DCV" because it means "DC volts"), and you get the "mV" I was referring to ("millivolts").

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

Um...that is actually the setting.
:)
Add the "m" to the "V" (of "DCV" because it means "DC volts"), and you get the "mV" I was referring to ("millivolts").

Thanks mate, sorry its late i'm tired, got to get up early and get new fuses, thanks for you help.;)

Marc

• Members

Originally posted by Peter Diezel

Do guys really use cathode resistors for the

bias setting ?

Some amps have 1 ohm resistors installed from the cathode to ground of each power tube for the purpose of making quick bias readings. In this case the "bias meter" device itself has a 1 ohm resistor installed on the cathode. "Bias meters" of this kind are generally made as such.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

Some amps have 1 ohm resistors installed from the cathode to ground of each power tube for the purpose of making quick bias readings. In this case the "bias meter" device itself has a 1 ohm resistor installed on the cathode. "Bias meters" of this kind are generally made as such.

Dear James !

Thank You very much for the introduction :bor:

I worked in a repair shop for many years, so don

Archived