How do I remove the lacquer from the back of a maple neck?

bobbtoz

• Members

I'd like to do this w/ some type of solvent. Can someone recommend a particular solvent (so as not to damage the neck) and any tips would be great. Ultimately I want an unfinished neck w/ a light oil rub on it. Similar to a ernie ball axis.

Thanks.

• Members

Home Depot, lacquer remover. Make sure you get good gloves, painters tape, a bucket, painters mask, and a good cloth for scrubbing. That's how I removed the paint off a Les Paul once. Make sure you tape up the fretboard good other wise you can count on coloring you inlays and fret board the color of the paint.

Take Care

• Members
Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

#0000 steel wool is all you need. Just takes a matter of seconds and will be as smooth as glass when you're done. Every guitar that enters my house gets this treatment.

Remind me to never bring my guitar into your house :eek:

• Members

Lots of good advice thanks! Once you play a guitar w/ an unfinished neck all others feel uncomfortable. I love the feel of my GMW and EB axis, but I have a fender that could use that unfinished feel. Taking some of the lacquer off w/ #0000 wool makes a difference, but I need to get this down to bare wood. I'm slightly concerned that I could take some wood off in my attempt to remove the lacquer.

Archived