I am not happy with my 201

jskpongoui

• Members

Hi guys

As you know I have working on improving my synthesizer programming abilities, but I am improving, but im still not enjoying playing my sh201...

my sh201 just isnt something that I wanna sit down and play for hours...

I love synthesizers but it's just.. meh :idk:

It seems to early to be looking for an upgrade because I only just bought it in may or something..

I'm not even quite what I'm trying to say.

But

What would you guys suggest if I am not enjoying playing my sh201?

• Members

I have... and everything else seems much more appealing

:cry:

that's not really true. it just sucks having one keyboard and it's too easy to get excited over everything else. the biggest affordable contrast in timbre is going to be the xio synth or xstation, but may i suggest adding a microx as contrast?

• Members

I have... and everything else seems much more appealing

:cry:

In what way? What, specifically, do you not like about your SH-201?

Would you rather have more preset sounds? A more comprehensive effects section? A different keybed action? A greater variety of arpeggiation patterns? A sequencer?

If you can give us more specifics regarding what you don't like about your current keyboard, we can give you more accurate recommendations.

I read your previous thread; you mentioned that you're into dance/electro and ambient. Listening to the YouTube clips you posted, I'm willing to bet that none of those were performed manually on a keyboard. There's a lot of sequencing and layered arpeggiation going on in those songs.

If that's really the sort of music you'd like to make, perhaps you'd be better served with something like a

I don't know what your finances are like, but one good idea would be to get an Electribe in addition to your SH-201, rather than instead of it.

a great example of the sort of thing you could do by combining an Electribe with a proper keyboard. (And an outboard DAW sequencer, but who's counting?)

• Members

I find that lots of little 'bits' are far more enjoyable to play around with than a single 'expensive' piece of gear, but that's just personal preference. I am sure that if I could afford a V-Synth or similar I'd contradict that but I have seen some amazing rigs that cost little more than $600 and incorporate at least 3-4 pieces of gear.

If your SH201 isn't doing it for you then maybe consider adding something small and cheap to give you a little more inspiration. The EMX has been mentioned, any Electribe is fun to play around with, but even a distortion pedal can change your sound. then again you can pick up decent samplers for next to nothing as well, so maybe something like that will increase your sonic arsenal and give you inspiration. What about the ESX-1 to marry the two ideas together, they're pretty cheap right now.

• Members

I find that lots of little 'bits' are far more enjoyable to play around with than a single 'expensive' piece of gear, but that's just personal preference. I am sure that if I could afford a V-Synth or similar I'd contradict that but I have seen some amazing rigs that cost little more than $600 and incorporate at least 3-4 pieces of gear.

If your SH201 isn't doing it for you then maybe consider adding something small and cheap to give you a little more inspiration.

Actually, if we're talking cheap and cheerful, a Kaossilator might not be a bad idea. It's a pretty limited piece of gear, but some of its handful of features are pretty unique, like the ability to play scales by sweeping across the X-Y pad. Korg does the same thing in the DS-10 software, and it's oodles of fun to play with.

"Play" is definately the operative word, though. Since neither the Kaossilator nor the DS-10 can output those scales as MIDI data, they're of limited use unless you're playing live.

• Members

Hmm, what do I not like about it?

It's tough to put my finger on what I don't like about it..

My computer is still broken :mad: which means I can't record onto it (stuck in MCE) and thanks for everyone who has been trying to help me get it working but I'm just a wee lad and I'm not that technologically minded... :cry: so I suppose no DAW could be making it less fun for me to play... (edit: what I had in mind when I bought my sh201 was using it with sequel 2 to layer and create some of my own stuff)

I do have a kaossilator already, I had a lot of fun with using that with my sp404 to create some pretty cool stuff, but I really haven't learned that much about my sp404... I should probably read the manual

The biggest problem is money because I can't get a job :cry:

• Members

If your SH201 isn't doing it for you then maybe consider adding something small and cheap to give you a little more inspiration. The EMX has been mentioned, any Electribe is fun to play around with, but even a distortion pedal can change your sound. then again you can pick up decent samplers for next to nothing as well, so maybe something like that will increase your sonic arsenal and give you inspiration. What about the ESX-1 to marry the two ideas together, they're pretty cheap right now.

I have an sp404 :)

• Members

Hi guys

As you know I have working on improving my synthesizer programming abilities, but I am improving, but im still not enjoying playing my sh201...

my sh201 just isnt something that I wanna sit down and play for hours...

I love synthesizers but it's just.. meh
:idk:

It seems to early to be looking for an upgrade because I only just bought it in may or something..

I'm not even quite what I'm trying to say.

But

What would you guys suggest if I am not enjoying playing my sh201?

Hey there is nothing wrong with what you are saying !!!!

I first got a MICROKORG that almost immediately sold , it was just too weak for my need. MICROKORG costed 500 euros sold it only for 300 euros ,for 400 euroes bought a blofeld and never looked back.

I now love my blofeld and motivates me alot to make music.

Still I ordered an Andromeda.....

Cheap ? No but it helps when you have the money!!!

HANG IN THERE

and remember while waiting for the money do something free, LEARN LEARN LEARN!!!

Archived