Mesa F50 as amp for apartment

dennis138

• Members

I've had both the F-30 and F-50 combos they have a completely different vibe from each other due to the power tubes. Neither would work well in an apartment, imo... that said, I've heard that some people have good luck with a volume pedal in the loop. I guess it all depends on what you consider acceptable tone.

Check out the thread devoted to the f series... there's much info there to check out! Good luck.:)

• Members

I find that I need to have the F-50's Master Volume above 9 or 10 o'clock to get it singing. Without attenuation, this is ridiculously loud. However, I found early on, that by putting a line level device in the loop such as a volume pedal (I use a Multi-FX processor), the volume levels can be brought down to appartment levels, and the tone is still awesome. :thu:

There's been a lot of discussion about this technique in the F-series Lounge (link in sig.), and I highly recommend it. I've used it for controlling stage volumes in all kinds of environments from TV studios to the bedroom. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Originally posted by dennis138

How good is the master volume on the Mesa F50? Is it conceivable to dial in a good amount of gain at bedroom levels? Any differences between the F50 and the F30?

As already mentioned, the volume-pedal-in-the-loop works wonders at low volume. I also have a Hot Plate that does well. Put them both together and I have awesome TV-volume tone.

That said, most all tubes aren't suited to low volume playing. It's just a fact of life. IMO, the best super low volume rig is a modeler through a decent set of computer speakers (preferably with a sub).

So, the difference in the F-30 and F-50 won't really matter if you're only considering bedroom volume. Where it matters is when you decide on the kind of tone, feel, and clean headroom you want at gig volume.

A link to the F-series lounge is in my sig.

• Members

The F-50 to my ears gets a lot of it's signature tone from the power tubes. I agree, you need to have the master set at minimum 9:00 for a good tone. Unattenuated at that volume it will rattle the windows. I have and effects processor in the loop as well as use a Hotplate. IMO, I preffer the Hotplate instead of a volume pedal in the loop. That said, the F-50 is voiced to be played loud! You'd be better off with either a F-30 or something else if you don't intend to gig.

• Members
Originally posted by bikerdude2

But it really sounds good when I run the master around 9'oclock. When I do that, my drummer who lives next to me, can hear me playing from inside his house.
:cool:

Haaaaa!!! I believe that, and the guy next to him can hear it when you get up around 12!

• Members

Originally posted by GTM

That said, the F-50 is voiced to be played loud! You'd be better off with either a F-30 or something else if you don't intend to gig.

The F-30 is as loud as the F-50, but they both sound pretty good even at low volumes. I run my F-30 head through a close back 4*12 and its monstrously loud. I would not buy either of these amps if you are expecting to have something within reasonable appartment sound levels. Probably just buy a Dr Z mini Z or badcat minicat if you still want quality amp/tone in a tiny package.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

The F-30 is as loud as the F-50, but they both sound pretty good even at low volumes. I run my F-30 head through a close back 4*12 and its monstrously loud. I would not buy either of these amps if you are expecting to have something within reasonable appartment sound levels. Probably just buy a Dr Z mini Z or badcat minicat if you still want quality amp/tone in a tiny package.

I tried an F-30 when I was shopping for my F-50. I think everyone will agree they both sound different. I used to have a Nomad 45 (EL84's). The Nomad sounded pretty good at bedroom levels. I remeber the F-30 (combo) sounded pretty good played low.

• Members

I think the f30 is the best little amp I've ever heard and it's plenty loud to gig. I think it sound very good at low volumes. The f50 is a little too much for decent apartment tone. It rocks when you crank it and doesn't hiss at much as the 30 at high gain/volume.

You're better off with the f30 for low and high volume. I think it's more dynamic and chimey than the F50.

The F50 is VERY fizzy at TV volume moreso than the 30; I'm talking about saturation, though.

• Members

Originally posted by mangojeep66

I think the f30 is the best little amp I've ever heard and it's plenty loud to gig. I think it sound very good at low volumes. The f50 is a little too much for decent apartment tone. It rocks when you crank it and doesn't hiss at much as the 30 at high gain/volume.

You're better off with the f30 for low and high volume. I think it's more dynamic and chimey than the F50.

The F50 is VERY fizzy at TV volume moreso than the 30; I'm talking about saturation, though.

I agree, its pretty much my favourite amp, hence why I use it. I also know that for the period of time I used it as just a head into a 1*12 while still very good it lacked the magic, now through the 4*12 its huge and articulate, but also very loud, too loud for an apartment. But even as a 1*12 at lower volumes its still one of the best sounding amps around.

Archived