Question concerning a vintage amp I found on ebay...

Eye_Of_The_Liger

• Members

So I found this amp on ebay that the seller says has been sitting in this guy's closet for years. Question is, what should I be concerned about if I'm thinking of buying an old tube amp that's been doing nothing but collecting dust for years? I mean even if the electronics (tubes, circuits, etc.) were in top working order before he stopped playing, does that necessarily mean that everything still works as it should even after years of not having fired it up?

• Members

If the seller has not checked it out recently there is a chance that the amp will not work. How old of amp are we talking about here, what is the brand?

The filter caps are the 1st thing I would be worried about though if I purchased the amp.

• Members

Techs will suggest that its safer to use a variac on amps that have been idle for years to slowly bring the voltages up to the filter caps as oppossed to suddenly hitting them with the full current. Although you may want to replace the filter caps anyway, you would'nt want one to explode inside your amp. Could be a real mess and could take out other components and/or tubes.

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I honestly don't think that the make and model of the amp is relevant such a general question, but if you have to know, it's a

Not relevant, of course the make, model and year are relevant. Now we know its a 1972-74 amp. You might also get some sun experts who know alot about the old sunns.

For that price if the seller hasn't fired it up or taken it to a tech to check it out, I would pass....

• Members

The amp is at $1525 right now. That's a bit steep, imo. Unless your after that exact model for some reason. Since it's been sitting in a closet for many years the filter caps are probably in need of a change and that's another $150.

It might have other issues too but if you have a lot of money to spend why not?

You might want to consider this.
Also a vintage, hi power, tube head. Sounds somewhat like a cross between an old Marshall and a Fender.

Archived