Poly 800 Lovers, show yourselves!

ElectricPuppy

• Members

Haa Haaa I remembered those flimsy black vinyl that came with the magazine. I had a few still at my parents home, my favorite was the Sequential Max or was it Six-Trak demo...

Yeah, my favorite was the multi-trak demo. That board had some nice sounds, always wanted one. but then I wanted almost every keyboard that came out back then. :lol:

• Members

Mine would at random times go so out of tune that the "tune" adjust wouldn't quite fix it. I'd either have to transpose on the fly or grab (and hold) the joystick and pitchbend it until it decided to go back into tune at a later time.

Yeah, don't miss that.

• Members

Nice little demo bruto!

That sweep sounds just like the sound used in the film 'Logans Run' when the carousel was starting up
:D

Thanks. The sweep is preset #15 on the EX-800. I never thought about it, but it does sound like the synth on Logan's Run. LR was made in 76, so it's probably an ARP or Moog.

The high sound on the demo reminds me of Tangerine Dream's Exit album. I think they used a PPG run through a delay of some sort.

• Members

Nifty demo, Bruto, thanks!

I can hear the 800's signature character in all those patches. And that's one of the reasons I gave mine up (among other reasons); No matter what kind of patch it is, it still has that somewhat hollow squarewaveness hiding in it.

Well, that and it's paraphonic filter, making filtered pads impossible unless you always play whole chords. Oh, and its knobless programming UI. Oh, wait: That and its super-noisy chorus. Yeah.

Yeah, I think that's all. :lol:

• Members

No matter what kind of patch it is, it still has that somewhat hollow squarewaveness hiding in it.

Although I generally love older Korg gear, I totally agree with you on that. Has a definate charactor that you can't quite put your finger on, but bothers you all the same. The 'hollow squarewaveness' is that charactor.

Well described Sir!

• Members

nothing note worthy that i can think of used the 800 in the context, and correct me if im' wrong i think depeche mode used one at one point, but you're probably thinking of the octave "walking" bass sound popular in early 80's sythpop. if sequenced / programmed right the 800 can o it's own unique take on it. that's one of the things i loved about it was the deep pulsating / resonating sound..

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

nothing note worth that i can think of used the 800 in the context, and correct me if im' wrong i think depeche mode used one at one point, but you're probably thinking of the octave "walking" bass sound popular in early 80's sythpop. if sequenced / programmed right the 800 can o it's own unique take on it. that's one of the things i loved about it was the deep pulsating / resonating sound..

I agree. What I've always thought uniquely identified the 800's sound is the resonant decay.

I'll never part with mine. It simply does certain sounds that no other synth can do - not great fat Moog stuff, or warm P5 pad stuff, but unique Poly-800 stuff that fits certain mixes (my mixes anyway.)

Archived