Dub/Reggae Bubble Tone

ybakos

• Members

Hi players,

I've been chasing a certain bubble tone lately and wondered if you had some ideas. I posted two short mp3s... the first contains a couple different organ sounds, and the second mp3 contains another tone.

Example One (multiple examples, 4:00)

Example Two (1:00)

(edit: Note that you should listen through headphones or proper speakers, otherwise you just won't hear the bubble.)

I was wondering what your opinion was on how to best achieve that tone... I believe that a Triton B3 sample is behind them, but I'm not sure.

I also recognize that they could be 'cheaper' organ samples with a bit of phaser and EQing... again, I'm not exactly sure.

Have fun and thanks for the ideas.

• Members

By the way, if I had to describe the tones to someone I would say they're more of a breathy 'ooohp' sound. Or like the sound your mouth makes when you make a 'swallowing' sound.

:facepalm:

I think you are picking up on two different things here, both are self-oscillating filters but I'm betting the application is different.

First example: My guess: Probably an auto-wah pedal -- one that allows way more resonance than standard, with an LFO driving things vs. an env follower. There seems to be some sort of self-osc type thing going on, producing a high sine-y type sound. Put an organy B3 through it and you are set.

Second example: There's a little bubbly self-osc filter thing in the background, I think that's what you are picking up on. It's easily doable on any analog synth that has a self-oscillating resonance, pretty much. At certain periods, dub seemed to like this effect (early ragga jungle and some dubstep too). There's also a cheesy organ like sound -- not sure you are thinking of that. :)

• Members

That's the thread that brought me to this forum :)

In case it's not clear to everybody, the word "bubble" in this case refers to the off-beat left hand rhythm in reggae.

I approximate the sound in the second clip on an analog synth by running white noise through the low-pass filter with the resonance turned way up until it self-oscillates. I use the mod wheel to control the filter cutoff, but I'd bet that usually the cutoff is controlled by a quick envelope.

The organ bubble sounds like some variation of 001000000 (organ drawbars) with lots of reverb and delay (at the beginning of the first clip). I'm not sure about the low bubble... maybe a similar organ registration or just a sine wave.

• Members

Nice ideas guys. And yeah, I'm aware of that thread, it's great. The drawbar settings from Outkaster's old post definitely help me get close, but not close enough to those exact sounds.

I'm going to try the auto-wah and other approaches you've mentioned and will report back.

@Soundwave106: Feel free to post audio samples of the things you mentioned (if you have time).

• Members

@xmlguy: thanks for that insight, I'll definitely see what I can do with the wobble bass approach.

To other readers, I've also been investigating using the 'Ocarina' patch which apparently is pretty popular in getting that sort of bubble tone. Anyone use the Ocarnia patch for something like this?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Well {censored}, two years later and I finally found a sample that works well with my Electro 3. It is a Mellotron sample, Organ_MkI_Mellotron_v4. Sounds great. What bothers me is I can't figure out how to replicate this tone with the built-in B3 instrument. Seems like you XK-3 owners don't have a problem with this.

Archived