first clip with a Pod XT! METAL!!!

soc_monki

• Members

took a stab at doing some Bodom...the quality isnt the best (as its a 128K MP3...) but i think its infinitely better than my old clips with my little practice amp and computer mic!

im also learning that the tone from headphones is WAY different than when put through software and played back through the computer speakers. so the tones might not be all that, but i think theyre at least decent. and the lead is horrible...the tone is blah...i used the JCM 800 boosted with a screamer for the lead, and my normal patch has the 800's drive at 12 o'clock, and i just cranked it for the lead...too fuzzy, but eh...i just did it really quick :) Treadplate Dual w/ Treadplate cab for the left side, Brit JM Pre with a 4x12 with 75's for the right.

gimme some feedback! :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=433004

• Members
Originally posted by joeyinflames

the tone isnt bad...but the lead tone doesnt fit at ALL.

LOL yea i know. i just threw it in there really quick and didnt mess with the tone like i did with the rhythm parts. i needed to cut back the gain a bit, and tame the high end for the lead, but eh...i spent a decent amount of time on the rhythms and said "screw it" with the lead...i got impatient :D LOL

• Members
Originally posted by soc_monki

LOL yea i know. i just threw it in there really quick and didnt mess with the tone like i did with the rhythm parts. i needed to cut back the gain a bit, and tame the high end for the lead, but eh...i spent a decent amount of time on the rhythms and said "screw it" with the lead...i got impatient
:D
LOL

nice...nice...

• Members
Originally posted by zygoat

pretty good. I can't stand the JM Pre patch. Get the metal pack brotha!! I love it.

when i get my own Pod i will...this is my buddy's and im just borrowing it...im gonna save all the patches and load them to my Pod when i get it :D

i was going to get the XT Live, but then decided i didnt need it...i was gonna use it live for effects, but i decided i didnt need all that stuff. if i use the Pod live im just gonna get a Midi controller to do it all later LOL

but yea, i want the Metal Pack so i can use the 5150 and a couple of the other amps that arent on it stock, like the Uber and Powerball! should be a lot of fun! :)

• Members

Originally posted by zygoat

the 5150 and recto models completely own.

the Dual model is pretty good, i must say...but only after i killed off some of the low end and low mids with the EQ in the Pod...and added some upper-mids LOL i didnt like it without messing with the EQ some. it was too...muffly sounding. but i did really like it.

i think it, the SLO model, and the 800 are my favorites right now...i think that will completely change when i get the Metal Pack though!

how much different is the Triple Recto model from the Dual, anyways?

• Members

When you get the metal packs you'll be in heaven. The triple model just has that "something" that the dual doesn't. I spend most of my time on that one, Big Bottom, Bomber Uber, and Mississippi Criminal (5150). Big bottom is my favorite for metal but all four are good. Prepare to be disappointed with the JCM2000, Diezel, and ENGL models. It's possible that I haven't spent enough time with them but so far I'm not impressed.

• Members

how much different is the Triple Recto model from the Dual, anyways?

Not a whole lot, but it's noticable and worthwhile. It sounds like they just took the dual model and gave it some more work.

That model is easily one of the top 3 for high gain. It just plain sounds better than almost all of them right away, if you ask me.

I used that one for more than a year, but I'm now torn between it and the Uber model. I always liked the Triple Recto, 5150, and Uber models the most. I always thought the Uber sounded better, but was too trebly for high volumes, but after tweaking the thing for over a year and a half and getting a Fish & Chips EQ, I've finally managed to address pretty much any issues I have had with it.

They are actually noticably different, though, unlike a lot of the models, and they would compliment eachother well. The Triple Recto model is less saturated and has a higher mid focus, which would probably make it cut better, but the Uber model has a nice smooth saturation to it and a low mid focus, which makes it sound very thick.

I like the 5150 model, but I think it's a bit too harsh for high volume.

Both of those models seem to have the tighest bass response, which doesn't really make any sense at all, but whatever.

Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

Prepare to be disappointed with the JCM2000, Diezel, and ENGL models. It's possible that I haven't spent enough time with them but so far I'm not impressed.

That's what I thought, but I have messed with it SOOOO much, and seriously, they are just utter crap. I do not understand why they even have models like those. They have no character and are pretty much uncontrollable fizz storms. What I find hilarious is that the Powerball model is probably one of the loosest models of all. Everything is opposite of what it should be with the models. I could swear that they threw that on there just because of HCAF fanboys lmao! I don't think the Line6 guys can really pull off the tight high gainer tones. The "loose" amps like the Rectos and Uber sound the best and the tighest, and the tight amps have some of the most horrible models.

• Members

m/:mad:m/

+1 on the Metal pack. I bought all 3 packs because there is a price break if you buy all of them....I've only really used the metal pack though. Cleans??? Pfffft. You don't need cleans when you're playing slut-banging metal!:mad: But i bought them all because I'm a sucker for deals. :p

The Herbert is my favorite go-to patch on the Pod, followed by the 5150, although my PSA-1 has once again become my preamp of choice, especially for Bodom-type stuff.

Anyway, your playing is really good, but that solo....damn, man, you need a floyd!!!!:D

• Members

Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

When you get the metal packs you'll be in heaven. The triple model just has that "something" that the dual doesn't. I spend most of my time on that one, Big Bottom, Bomber Uber, and Mississippi Criminal (5150). Big bottom is my favorite for metal but all four are good. Prepare to be disappointed with the JCM2000, Diezel, and ENGL models. It's possible that I haven't spent enough time with them but so far I'm not impressed.

I actually like the Engl and Diezel models. The Diezels take some tweaking, but they can rip your face off. And the Powerball has the most gain out of anything on the PODxt (I'd say it ties Insane). Turn the gain to 4-ish and it's a good rhythm tone. And I love its sound for solos as well.

But the JCM 2000 sucks really bad.

• Members
Originally posted by Ben J

m/:mad:m/

+1 on the Metal pack. I bought all 3 packs because there is a price break if you buy all of them....I've only really used the metal pack though. Cleans??? Pfffft. You don't need cleans when you're playing slut-banging metal!
:mad:
But i bought them all because I'm a sucker for deals.
:p

The Herbert is my favorite go-to patch on the Pod, followed by the 5150, although my PSA-1 has once again become my preamp of choice, especially for Bodom-type stuff.

Anyway, your playing is really good, but that solo....damn, man, you need a floyd!!!!

LOL im working getting a Floyd guitar :D was actually at a local store the other day and my buddy there showed me a new Peavey they have...the Vortex. looks EXACTLY like the Alexi ESP model (minus the striping of course). Floyd, 2 pickups (i can deal with two...) one knob, one switch, 24 frets, 25.5 scale...bolt on though...basswood body, maple neck, rosewood board. i think i can dig it. its only about 500 bucks, so i think i can swing that in a little while and have me a nice new axe! if i dont like it, i can sell it! LOL
and i played a friend's Jackson with a floyd the other day...i LOVED it. dive bombing...doing the squeals...all the things you can do!! so yea, safe to say that i AM getting one soon as i can!

and i heard you on the PSA-1 for Bodom stuff...your songs KILLED! but ive been coming pretty close to the tones. i was using the JM Pre for some Bodom tones, but found that the 800 boosted with a tubscreamer is MUCH closer (its got that boost in the upper-mids that just nearly NAILS Alexi's tone). i did use the Dual on the clip i posted though on one side, because i have a poster with Alexi and Alexander and there is a Recto behind them, turned on...so im thinking Alexander used one, and i did get pretty close to the Six Pounder tone (i was playing along with it while recording!) so who knows? LOL

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

that sounds pretty mean for a pod dude! lol

did you use the PRS with the actives??

and yes, I know, I've been neglecting my email...reply forthcomming..lol

nah dude...that was my Music Man with the Distortion in it :D so you should be proud...theres a good clip of the Distortion for ya! LOL

ill see if i can do some clips with the PRS though...its tuned to B, so im gonna have to find something to do in B...maybe ill work some more on that song that me and my buddy are gonna re-track, and get some clips from that up...its a pretty complicated tune though...but ill see if i can pull some of it off! :)

• Members

LOL im working getting a Floyd guitar
was actually at a local store the other day and my buddy there showed me a new Peavey they have...the Vortex. looks EXACTLY like the Alexi ESP model (minus the striping of course). Floyd, 2 pickups (i can deal with two...) one knob, one switch, 24 frets, 25.5 scale...bolt on though...basswood body, maple neck, rosewood board. i think i can dig it. its only about 500 bucks, so i think i can swing that in a little while and have me a nice new axe! if i dont like it, i can sell it! LOL

and i played a friend's Jackson with a floyd the other day...i LOVED it. dive bombing...doing the squeals...all the things you can do!! so yea, safe to say that i AM getting one soon as i can!

and i heard you on the PSA-1 for Bodom stuff...your songs KILLED! but ive been coming pretty close to the tones. i was using the JM Pre for some Bodom tones, but found that the 800 boosted with a tubscreamer is MUCH closer (its got that boost in the upper-mids that just nearly NAILS Alexi's tone). i did use the Dual on the clip i posted though on one side, because i have a poster with Alexi and Alexander and there is a Recto behind them, turned on...so im thinking Alexander used one, and i did get pretty close to the Six Pounder tone (i was playing along with it while recording!) so who knows? LOL

Yeah, I think you pretty much NEED to use the tubescreamer to bring out the pod's full potential for high gain stuff.

I guess $500 is the list price; you can pre-order from this place for $379.:cool: Although those pickups will more than likely need to be replaced to be acceptable. So after you do that, you'll probably be back up to about $500 after the new PU's.:p

Looks like a decent enough guitar though, and just because it's a bolt, you shouldn't be concerned about the size of the neck joint - the ones on the SV and AL customs are HUGE, but it doesn't slow down Alexi at all.:cool: I don't have much of a problem with it either.

Will you be using the Pod for playing live at all? If you plan on using it for recording only, you might want to look into the Line 6 Guitar Port. It's fully upgradable to XT/Vetta II models; the only thing is that you can only use it with a computer setup. But it's only $100. Or $200 if you plan on getting all the model upgrades.

• Members
Originally posted by Ben J

Yeah, I think you pretty much NEED to use the tubescreamer to bring out the pod's full potential for high gain stuff.

I guess $500 is the list price; you can pre-order from
this place
for $379.
:cool:
Although those pickups will more than likely need to be replaced to be acceptable. So after you do that, you'll probably be back up to about $500 after the new PU's.
:p

Looks like a decent enough guitar though, and just because it's a bolt, you shouldn't be concerned about the size of the neck joint - the ones on the SV and AL customs are HUGE, but it doesn't slow down Alexi at all.
:cool:
I don't have much of a problem with it either.

Will you be using the Pod for playing live at all? If you plan on using it for recording only, you might want to look into the Line 6 Guitar Port. It's fully upgradable to XT/Vetta II models; the only thing is that you can only use it with a computer setup. But it's only $100. Or $200 if you plan on getting all the model upgrades.

well, that preorder price is cool, but im already going to be getting a deal from the dealer since its a special-order item! :) but im not going to go around advertising it because its just a little shop in my town LOL lets just say ill be getting it for nearly that price ;) and im going to wait till i play it to decide on PU's and whatnot. if they need to be changed, then im just going to be changing the bridge PU anyways...thats mostly what i use! LOL :)
and im not concerned at ALL about the neck joint LOL pretty much all i play are bolt-ons...so thats a non-issue. i dont think itll be too big though...and if so, i can work around it. just gotta get used to it!

as for the GuitarPort...i kinda need a Pod...i might be using it live in the future, after i get it all sorted out, and tweak it with my rig more. i have looked into the guitar port, and all the other Pod series...i was going to get a Live XT, but at the moment i dont need that whole board. the Port is enticing, because of the price, but the Pod will be handier because of the fact that i will most likely be plugging into Mixers a lot to do recording in other places, and the Port doenst carry all my tones around...:( LOL so, necessity!

and using the Tubescreamer in front of most of the amp models just SLAYS! ive been taking all the amp patches ive made, and the ones without a screamer in front (like the Recto) i stuck one in front and BAM! instantly better tone! i was like :eek: tightens up the tone greatly, and just makes it sound better in general. im not a fan of using boosts in the real world, but using them on the Pod...bring it on! turn down the drive, crank the gain (level) and adjust the amp gain to the amount of saturation i want and its just 100 X's better than the amp itself. just amazing.

• Members

nah dude...that was my Music Man with the Distortion in it
so you should be proud...theres a good clip of the Distortion for ya! LOL

ill see if i can do some clips with the PRS though...its tuned to B, so im gonna have to find something to do in B...maybe ill work some more on that song that me and my buddy are gonna re-track, and get some clips from that up...its a pretty complicated tune though...but ill see if i can pull some of it off!
:)

that pickups all about the balls, baby..lol

Archived