production laptop died - need advice please.

Unfed

• Members

UPDATE:

ok, a few new things...

just installed a new motherboard. the good part is that it now works, the bad part is that Windows is having trouble starting. not sure exactly what the problem is, here's the error screen that comes up (very quickly, took me a few tries to snap this pic):

4007950334_b2f5e51b81.jpg

actually, a few different things are happening. when booting, the XP initialization screen comes up as normal. sometimes a screen comes up giving an option to start in Safe Mode, "use the last configuration that worked", or "start Windows normally". trying to start Windows normally or use the last configuration usually brings me to the screen above, or else it will get hung up on the "Windows is starting up..." screen:

4007950342_d4e4f50abf.jpg

it seems to just hang there, requiring me to power down. tried starting in Safe Mode once so far, but it gave me an error saying that Windows needed to close. the odd thing is that once it actually got me to my Desktop saying that it was missing a file but was able to recover it. (this was actually a normal boot, not to Safe Mode.) unfortunately it re-booted by itself after that and i haven't been able to launch to the Desktop again so far.

not sure what's wrong or why it's not letting Windows start, anyone ever seen this problem before?

i also have a replacement laptop coming that should be here in the next few days. after confirming that it works i'll try swapping my drive into it and see how that goes. now i'm just concerned that it might have the same problems as i'm experiencing now. unfortunately, i spent my money on these and still haven't bought one of those external enclosures yet (doh!). if swapping my drive into the replacement laptop doesn't work as planned, then i'll get one of these to back up what i have on the drive and try a fresh install of Windows on the old laptop.

that's where i stand at the moment, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the start-up problems that i'm having right now.

thanks again for all the help so far!

• Members

Could be a display driver bollux. I'll paste the whole MS page of bumf, in case you cant go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

STOP: 0x00000050 Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area Error After Installing Service Pack 1 (SP1)
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q329293
Expand all | Collapse all
SYMPTOMSWhen you restart your computer after you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)...When you restart your computer after you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), your computer may generate the following Stop error message:
STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8872A990, 0x00000001, 0x804F35D7, 0x00000000)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA
NOTE: The four parameters in this error message may vary according to the computer's configuration.
Back to the top
CAUSEThis problem may occur if there is a conflict between Windows XP SP1 and the dis...This problem may occur if there is a conflict between Windows XP SP1 and the display adapter drivers that are currently installed.
Back to the top
RESOLUTIONTo resolve this problem, start your computer in Safe mode, remove the display ad...To resolve this problem, start your computer in Safe mode, remove the display adapter, rename the .inf files that are associated with the display adapter drivers, restart your computer in Normal mode, and then update your display adapter drivers. The following steps describe this procedure in more detail:
Start Windows in Safe mode. To do so:
Restart the computer, and then press F8 while the computer starts.
On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
Use the ARROW keys to select the operating system to start, and then press ENTER to start Windows XP in Safe mode.
In the message that states that Windows is running in Safe mode, click Yes.
Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32 in the Open box, and then click OK.
Under System Summary, expand Components, and then click Display.
In the right pane, note the information that corresponds to the INF File item, for example, Nv4.inf, Oem0.inf, or Atim128.inf.
Quit the System Information utility.
Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Expand Display adapters, right-click the display adapter, and then click Uninstall.
Click OK.
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:
ren %systemroot%infINF file name from Step 5.inf *inf.old
ren %systemroot%infINF file name from Step 5.pnf *pnf.old
Close all open windows, and then restart the computer in the typical manner.
Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrative privileges, and then wait for Windows to detect new hardware.
When the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, click Cancel.

If you receive a stop error after you remove the updated display drivers, restart the computer and use the Last Known Good Configuration option. To do this, restart the computer, and then press the F8 key while the computer starts. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

If you receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" message when Windows starts, restart the computer again. This error message does not recur.
Obtain and install the latest drivers for your display adapter.For information about how to contact your computer manufacturer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors)

• Members

thanks for the link/info! for some reason i didn't think to plug the error code into Google. :D

unfortunately, it didn't help. i was able to start in Safe Mode ok, but it wouldn't run 'msinfo32' for some reason. it showed up in the Task Manager but nothing onscreen. weird. i was at least able to verify that all my files were intact though. i also noticed that there were other error screens/codes that would pop up depending on what i was trying to do.

the replacement laptop arrived this afternoon. i was able to swap the drive with no problems and am back up and running. yippee. right now i'm backing up all my data to an external Maxtor HD (which i should have done months ago) so that i don't have to worry so much if this should happen again. i'll also make an image of the drive while i'm at it. as for the other laptop, i put the other drive into and am experiencing similar issues (this has a fresh install of XP on it from the seller). i'll try doing another install on that with my factory discs and see how that goes. not sure what the problem could be, possibly some minute discrepancy with the new motherboard?

anyway, at least i'm able to do something now, we'll see how i make out with the rest. thanks again for all the advice!

• Members

ok, this is getting f'ing ridiculous. :(

everything is going well so far with the new laptop that i swapped my drive into. however, when i put the drive from that into the old laptop (which now works after replacing the motherboard) i got pretty much the same problems as described above. so, i'm using my factory install disc to re-install XP on it. i used this to re-partition and re-format the drive, this seemed to work ok. when trying to install (during the initial 'copy files' stage) there were a ton of files which it wasn't able to copy. it said something like "the file Windows placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows XP system image" (??) or that there might be a problem with the install disc (not likely, it was used once when i first got it and is in perfect condition).

wtf? :facepalm:

• Members

nope, this is the factory XP Media Center 2005 install disc that came with my HP laptop. can't understand it, i used it to install Windows when i bought it and it's been sitting in the box unused since. tried a few other things as well, downloaded DiscWizard from Seagate and made an image of my drive with that. when booting from the disc that i made with that it gave me a kernel error. there's some startup parameters that i might be able to make to this boot disc to help with different hardware configurations, but i'm not sure which ones to use.

for some reason i'm thinking this motherboard doesn't like XP. looks like the production date on it is from 2007, so maybe it's somehow made with Vista in mind? is this possible?

unfortunately, all this has made me quite wary of using/depending on a computer for production. i guess it's a bit like getting into a car accident and being afraid to drive again. even with the other laptop working, i'm 'scared' to start working with Ableton, plug-ins, etc... :(

• Members
nope, this is the factory XP Media Center 2005 install disc that came with my HP laptop. can't understand it, i used it to install Windows when i bought it and it's been sitting in the box unused since. tried a few other things as well, downloaded DiscWizard from Seagate and made an image of my drive with that. when booting from the disc that i made with that it gave me a kernel error. there's some startup parameters that i might be able to make to this boot disc to help with different hardware configurations, but i'm not sure which ones to use.

for some reason i'm thinking this motherboard doesn't like XP. looks like the production date on it is from 2007, so maybe it's somehow made with Vista in mind? is this possible?

unfortunately, all this has made me quite wary of using/depending on a computer for production. i guess it's a bit like getting into a car accident and being afraid to drive again. even with the other laptop working, i'm 'scared' to start working with Ableton, plug-ins, etc...
:(

Hardware, specifically computer hardware can be hit or miss.
I reinstalled Vista (via the recovery wizard, burned the discs) for my GF, and it doesn't work right, like it once did.
Files can be corrupted

Archived