peavey classic 30 v.s. hughes & kettner edition tube 20 anniversary

fancynapkin

• Members

Im looking for small amp that can cover plenty of ground, Im getting into jazz, so cleans are important. If I went with the C30 I would money left over for a new speaker and new tubes. Any thoughts?

My main concern with both is the reliabilty, the classic 30 is supposedly a biatch to work on, making repairs very pricey, likewise the h&k is german, so parts migh be hard to come by.

• Members

those classic 30s are built like tanks man!

ive heard on here from time to time that folks had problems with thiers but ive owned 2 at different times and had them each for a few years, they were constantly cranked and run through cabs, loud band levels and they took the abuse like a skank with low self-esteem who wanted the abuse :D

ive also seen alot of folks use them constantly for years with no problems. i think if you can also afford the speaker and tube swap - for the styles you mentioned youll be very happy. also you can add another cab later if you use it in a band setting and want more thump - although they are more than plenty loud enough stock, i usually had to keep mine on 5-6 when playing with a band and they were freakin loud!

• Members

also i forgot to mention........

you said for a small amp, did you mean something you could crank up inside and still get that "cranked amp tone"?

if so i think youll find 30 watts is way too loud for that! just something to think about.

im not saying it doesnt sound good at low volumes, im just saying that like so many other good tube amps - they sound so sweet when turned up a little (or alot). for instance i prefer the sound of my cranked little epi galaxie 10 watter (true class A amp, moddified for my needs and tastes) alot more than the sound of the jcm800 and C30 if its inside and thier volumes have to stay around 1.

just some food for thought

• Members
Originally posted by fancynapkin

Im looking for small amp that can cover plenty of ground, Im getting into jazz, so cleans are important. If I went with the C30 I would money left over for a new speaker and new tubes. Any thoughts?

My main concern with both is the reliabilty, the classic 30 is supposedly a biatch to work on, making repairs very pricey, likewise the h&k is german, so parts migh be hard to come by.

Why just those two? And why a dual vs quad power section

• Members
Originally posted by fancynapkin

I said small as in size/wieght.

I've narrowed it down to these two, for there price they seem to be the best bet.

One of these might have been nice but it looks like someone beat you to this exact one! http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-SUBWAY-ROCKET-REVERB-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ7396122752QQcategoryZ43374 How about a Bravo or GD Mighty Mouse? www.george-dennis.cz BTW,I think I'll be selling my HK Edition once I get it out of the shop. I think it just has a cold solder joint somewhere.

Archived