WOT: 'Brokeback author whines about Oscar loss

SpacedCowboy

• Members

:rolleyes:

'Brokeback' Author Peeved About Oscar Loss

Mar 14, 6:01 PM EST

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Annie Proulx, whose 1997 short story inspired the film "Brokeback Mountain," has penned a scattershot blast in a British newspaper unleashing her anger over the film's best-picture Oscar loss.

Proulx criticizes Oscar voters and the Academy Awards ceremony in the 1,094-word rant, which appeared in Saturday's issue of The Guardian, a liberal paper boasting 1.2 million readers daily.

The best-picture Oscar went to "Crash," which focuses on race relations in Los Angeles.

Academy members who vote for the year's best film are "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city," Proulx writes.

The 70-year-old Pulitzer-prize winning author points out that "Brokeback," which was nominated for eight Academy Awards, was named best picture at the Independent Spirit Awards one day before the March 5 Oscars.

"If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices," Proulx advises.

She even lashes out at Lionsgate, the distribution company behind "Crash."

"Rumour has it that Lionsgate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash

• Members

I hate heath ledger too and I am australian

This guys such a tool

His acting is the most wooden I have seen for a long time

Hes trying to do a bit of a james dean but has 1000th of jimmys talent.

I am glad he did a gay film him, suits him

• Members

i don't yet know how eor feels about the "add all stereotypes and shake vigorously" formula. it was real and fake at the same time. i still don't know if the blatant stereotypes were part of the point or not.

eor did like it, i guess, and i can see how it can be thought-provoking for some.

love,
eor

• Members

I haven't watched Brokebutt Moutain but my cousin watched it. He couldn't understand the hype at all. He said it was alright but the acting wasn't anything spectacular. He said out of all the movies of 2005 A History of Violence was the best one. I only watched The Constant Gardener and I thought it was great.

Archived