So I plugged in my new Plexi, turned everything to 10, and...

ratter

• Members
Originally posted by vlad

Speaking of loud...

When I first got my Super Lead, I naturally had to dime everything the second I got it. Well... It's so ungodly loud... I can't describe it. My office was over a concrete slab at the time and let me tell you, the freaking slab was moving up and down. Boxes were falling off my desk.. Sick I sez..
:D

Yep. You use greenbacks right? I think the 25 watters take a bit of the edge off. Not as painfully loud as something like v30s.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by DropDeelicious

Too bright on the Unchained clip. I'd dial the presence and treble back some. All the Super Leads I've played get screetchy with those dimed, despite the legend of "all on 10". I am surprised how tight the bass is on 10. I never ran the bass over 2 on my 1959SLP, or it just got woofy. Good stuff, though. Let's hear more!

Yeah, I think you're probably right about brightness. I still can't hear, so who knows. :D Mic placement would help with that, I'm sure. I just put it straight on the center, which I think is the brightest spot.

Originally posted by Mr.twin

Holy {censored} .. My cat almost had a heart atack hahahaha

:D

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Yep. You use greenbacks right? I think the 25 watters take a bit of the edge off. Not as painfully loud as something like v30s.

I do now. When I first got it all I had was my THD 2x12 and those CL80's are fooking loud!

Yeah the GBs take a bit of the volume and edge off. Not to mention sound so kickass with this amp.

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

That was no hotplate. I clipped the bright cap on the normal channel, otherwise a bone stock 1959HW. The guitar shown at the left into the top input (no jumper), everything on ten. Speaker cab, '57, that's it. Reverb from the software.

It was ridiculously loud. {censored} was falling off of shelves. But I plugged in the hotplate and it basically sounds the same at -12, which is a lot more reasonable.

I said I wouldn't do half-assed clips, but oh well.
This has a fuzz and wah, obviously...

ratter: Thanks for posting the clips. I thought the first one was kick arse, maybe a bit sharp for my personal liking, but very cool nonetheless.

2 quick questions: how was the mic positioned? are those hot/med output buckers in the guitar?

The reason I ask is if I dime my SLP with my LP Classic I need to back off the volume on the guitar to keep the tone "tight". It still has plenty of distortion though. Just roll the volume up for nice liquidy/effortless/cutting leads. Man I'm old skool.

-dave

• Members
Originally posted by bstaley

That was some old fashoined tube goodness.
:thu:

The day a POD can do that I would sell my tube rig.

We all know that I love Marshall amps...

...but, to me, the POD sounds pretty damn good...so good that I use it a lot more than I do any of my Marshalls...except my Marshall power amp. If Line 6 mad a tube buffered POD that sounds good, they would/could make a killing.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

We all know that I love Marshall amps...

...but, to me, the POD sounds pretty damn good...so good that I use it a lot more than I do any of my Marshalls...except my Marshall power amp. If Line 6 mad a tube buffered POD that sounds good, they would/could make a killing.

+1

I love the Plexi models on the PODxt. They sound great to me. Spanky as hell with the neck pickup on my LP. I can even mess with the volume knob of my guitar with good results.

-Joe

• Members

Noice, digged all 3 clips. I've got a 1959SLP as well but haven't dimed it yet. I used to own 2, sold them, now I've got one again. I dimed one of the first ones I had, and loud isn't the right word. I had the guitar cable running under the door and the door closed. It wasn't just loud, but overwhelmingly, envelopingly powerful. Huge sound, like a huge wave hitting you. No way I could stay in the same room with that.

• Members
Originally posted by daveyboy

ratter: Thanks for posting the clips. I thought the first one was kick arse, maybe a bit sharp for my personal liking, but very cool nonetheless.

2 quick questions: how was the mic positioned? are those hot/med output buckers in the guitar?

The reason I ask is if I dime my SLP with my LP Classic I need to back off the volume on the guitar to keep the tone "tight". It still has plenty of distortion though. Just roll the volume up for nice liquidy/effortless/cutting leads. Man I'm old skool.

-dave

Thanks for responding! Listening now, I see what carl was saying about the hashy treble. I'll try to do some better clips as the days go by. The mic was probably straight on, center of the cone. The pickups are pretty damn hot, but not very thick sounding. They're pretty bright/sharp pickups. People mentioned the tight bass? I wonder if it's a tranny issue? I don't remember the tranny on the SLP being like this one...this one is the biggest stack I've ever seen. It's like 3 and a half inches...I'll have to post a pic. So I wonder if that contributes to a tighter bottom? Or maybe I'm just talking out my ass...I have no idea...

Originally posted by anti-flag193

The second clip was awesome. I've been looking for a fuzz. How much does the one you have cost? Maybe I missed it, but what speakers were you using? Sounded great man.

Thank you. I hesitate to recommend this one a bit because it was about $150, and it's built like {censored}. I opened it up and it looks like a 3rd-grader put it together. But it sounds awesome, so I guess that's what counts. It really seems to mate well with this amp, too.

Originally posted by psychodave

Stick an MXR phase 90 and an echoplex in front of the amp and you will need that treble.

Yeah, the second VH clip has the echoplex in line. Maybe that helped toned that clip down a bit...

Originally posted by bstaley

That was some old fashoined tube goodness.

The day a POD can do that I would sell my tube rig.

Right on! You'll have to get out here and check it out. You wouldn't even have to stop, just drive by and you'll hear it... :D

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

No {censored}. Mike I'm guessing thats the tone you've been wanting. Am I correct? Sounds badass!

I was actuallyl shooting for the second clip sounds, so that was a success. But just for the hell of it I dimed everything and I was shocked at how it sounded. I don't think I really captured it well but in the room it was intense. You'll see....

So much for the "stock plexi" not able to do the brown sound thing...

Originally posted by DirrtyCraig

Great clip,, I agree a bit much treble,, and tune that B string,, (hee hee just ribbin ya)

Love this tone!

How do you know that the B string wasn't in tune and the other 5 weren't out? :D

Originally posted by Rezzer

Its officially a tone machine. Nice brown sounds. With the attenuator do the volumes come down enough to keep {censored} from falling?

Milton

Yes, absolutely. You can bring it down quite a bit.

Originally posted by clay_finley

I'm totally diggin'it ratter.
Gotsta love those Marshalls
headbanger.gif

Thanks!

Originally posted by Whammyless

...and loud isn't the right word.

Yeah, that's the truth...

Originally posted by EC-E

maybe i missed it, but is that a reissue plexi or an original?

It's the 1959HW.

• Members
Originally posted by carlygtr56

They got a 1959HW here locally, but I haven't plugged it in. $2800!!!

I never opened the fuzz....didn't see the insides!

Just thought the 1st clip was too bright.

Why did you snip the bright cap off the Normal channel?

I wouldn't have paid $2,800. Mainly because I don't have it! :D I got several hundred off that price, like new with unfilled warranty card, etc. For that, I think it's a good deal.

The KR fuzz is pretty nasty on the inside. But it kills, so I don't care. I ordered it as soon as I heard the clips on their site. But fuzzes in general are kinda pissing me off. Even moreso than OD pedals it seems like without the right amp set the right way, even the best fuzz pedal isn't really worth a {censored}...

The bright cap...I don't plan on diming it most of the time, and it was just thinning it out too much. There's plenty of treble there without the cap obviously. And I think I prefer to run straight into the first input rather than jumping channels...so *snip*... :D

Archived