What is the best *sounding* synth you have heard or used

• Members

Varies for the type of sound. For swirling spinning deep dark pads I havent found anything that can do it as well as the pads like that I made with a korg poly 6 I used to have that then ran thru a alesis nanoverb which pushed it pretty much into new synth sound territory. Fave synth lead voices Ive gotten are from my novation ks4. It also does very very good other fx pads and such. My microkorg does some of the best regular style electronica type pads Ive ever heard. The Access Virus had a 3-4 modded voices for pads and combo lead and pad that havent been able to create the equivalent of. For airy but not particuliarly deep, multilayered voices the Alesis QS6.1 was tops. And for a rfeal kewl random but still very musical shifting voices with shifting arps that somehow held together and went together very well, a little portable Wasp synth from the late 70's early 80's. My novation ks4 and microkorg also make as good bass voices for me as have ever heard. Even found some especially good synth voices with my korg kaos pad3 and kaoscillator that imo wouldnt be able to do as well on regular keyboard synth. Cause the voices are great and the touch interface for triggering the voicdes gives an expressiveness not really doable with keys.

It boils down to each synth Ive had/has its specialty for making best to me possible something. But none have been able to do everything supurbly. But wouldnt expect any to be able to do that for me. Its like how diff types of guitars excell at something others dont. A do it all excellently guitar doesnt exist imo.

Imo each synth can do something better for a given person then other synths. Its then a matter of finding what those things are for you and that synth. So that between your 2 or more synths you can have all you want at its best.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Monophonic

Moog Source is a great sounding sleeper synth.

They used to be under $500 because people dissed a synth with no knobs. Now they are climbing up.

I've owned mine since 1985.

Polyphonic

Definitely the Memorymoog. Not only does it sound terrific but I learned a lot of sound design techniques on that thing.

Absolutely. The Memorymoog and The Source, sonically speaking too of my faves. Amazing wide oscillators/filters and rawness.

• Members

For me no synth is "the best sounding" because they more or less all have their strenghts.

As in, whenever i play a note on the JP4 i am in awe of that 70's huge sound quality, but then moving over to the XT or K5k i find that the digital stuff is equally fascinating to me in its own way.

I might be able do the opposite of the question asked, i.e. single out a few synths as being less inspiring (m6r, TG77), but the ones i like all "sound the best" to me.

• Members

Can I stretch the definition of "synth" to include a Hammond B3? Clavinet? Fender Rhodes Mk1? No?

OK then, if it must be a synth, I'd go (in my limited experience) for the Moog Rogue just because I could pretend to be Marvin Gaye on Trouble Man...

• Members

I really depends on what you play and where you play it.

In our electro band for instance we've had quite a few synths but my alltime favorite (for playing live) has to be the Waldorf Q : great sharp sounds that got me the shivers and cut through the mix like no other. Don't get me started on reliability however ...

• Members

Here's a nod to Ken - the Macbeth m3
The voyager/lp, andy, jup 6, DSI all, sh9 (stuff I've owned) all pale in comparison to the fat ass sloppy stuff I got out of this beast. The only analog I've owned that I truly want back.

EIII
everything I put in sounded better than the source. if it wasn't so f**king unreliable, I'd own a bunch.

Omnisphere
all modern VAs and ROMplers as comparo - omni wins for me.

• Members

I have owned a lot of synths, and played a lot more. I cannot honestly say anyone has stood out as a favorite. I will say that I have, in general, loved anything sampled by an EMU sampler and processed through its voice guts. In fact, now that I think about it, almost all my favorite sounds are ones that started on a synth and ended in a sampler of one bent or another.

Damn..now I want an EPS again..

• Members

Best sounding synth: Minimoog Voyager. I loved it and wanted to take it home, but the price tag was holding me back

Best sounding workstation: either the Oasys or the PC3x. Both sound really awesome.

Best sounding keyboard instrument I've ever heard, and also the most beautiful sound I've heard yet: Yamaha C7 grand piano. OMG I almost died when I heard this thing. I haven't played it, but boy.. would I love to play one.

• Members

I have to give two answers here. As far as analog synths go, nothing has ever matched the Memorymoog for me. In terms of current sampling technology I've recently been playing some large Kontakt libraries and Ivory through a Receptor 2 Pro. It sounds incredible. The Sonivox Symphonic Harp is particularly stunning, I swear it sounds better than a real instrument.

Archived