Which "Plexi" clone will get this?

carlygtr56

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

100 watt JTM.

JTM 45/100? I got footage of him using those amps in '67.

I had the Germino Monterey-100, which was a clone. Best for the earliest Jimi/Cream tones. Dark and bassy.

The '69 Little Wing clip isn't that sound, IMO. More likely a '68 Superlead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

IMO, there are too many variables on a recording. But thinking about Hendrix, with his pickup configuration that adds extra highs on his top three strings because he's playing upside down, coupled with the fact that he prefered G12H-30s (much brighter speakers), and also tended to prefer KT's or 6550's with more headroom, I don't think it's a stretch to think that his Marshall could sound like a Fender.

As for one of the original posts who couldn't get the sound with any variety of Marshall they tried, play with different speaker cabinets. It's a huge difference and sometimes people focus too much on the heads IMO - they modify this and that or alter this and that, where the solution could have been just getting the appropriate speaker cab for them. There is a BIG difference between a G12M-25, G12H-30, and G12T-75. Those will shape your tone a LOT.

• Members
Originally posted by
david@legendarytones.com

IMO, there are too many variables on a recording. But thinking about Hendrix, with his pickup configuration that adds extra highs on his top three strings because he's playing upside down, coupled with the fact that he prefered G12H-30s (much brighter speakers), and also tended to prefer KT's or 6550's with more headroom, I don't think it's a stretch to think that his Marshall could sound like a Fender.

As for one of the original posts who couldn't get the sound with any variety of Marshall they tried, play with different speaker cabinets. It's a huge difference and sometimes people focus too much on the heads IMO - they modify this and that or alter this and that, where the solution could have been just getting the appropriate speaker cab for them. There is a BIG difference between a G12M-25, G12H-30, and G12T-75. Those will shape your tone a LOT.

This is quite good advice. Just the other day I noticed that my 69 Superbass sounds quite close to this recording with my Strat and a 4x12 with g12H30 on it. Like a bigger, badder fender. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by

play with different speaker cabinets. It's a huge difference and sometimes people focus too much on the heads IMO - they modify this and that or alter this and that, where the solution could have been just getting the appropriate speaker cab for them. There is a BIG difference between a G12M-25, G12H-30, and G12T-75. Those will shape your tone a LOT

and its also true that different cabs with the same speakers can make a bigger difference than the same cab with different speakers

• Members

yep i first had the 1959hw with a bogner v30 cab, it didn't sound ok. i first thought it had to be the guitar, but then i got a marshall plexi cab with g12h30. the sound was right now. also, i got two strats and they sound nowhere near the same. so experimentation is required finding your ultimate tone.

• Members
Originally posted by JimAnsell

its funny how different all the different plexi clones are from each other.

they doesn't exactly make them "Clones" then, does it?

But from what I understand, many of the old plexis didn`t sound similar to each other either? :)

(I haven`t played many old Marshalls, this is info I`ve read around)

• Members

it as well can be the guitar / speakers / cabinet constuction / playing style / room/ or even guitar cables that makes the difference ;) there are too many variables =D
even plectrums can!

im not an advanced player but i heared the difference between cheaper cables and good cables if my amp is turned up loud.

• Members

I am grateful to you Carl for posting that jimi stuff on youtube . Thank you!

I hope your quest to find that clean/dirty tone works out. I've been looking for that same clean/dirty sound for a long time. It's damn hard to find.

Let me know when you find it :). Because I will be right there with you!

• 4 months later...
  • Members

after some more listening to various bootlegs and studying the different marshall amplifiers,
i must say i go with the jtm45/100 with kt66 tubes.
that could explain why many think the tone is quite fenderish.

i find the tone very much the same as the recording:
little wing, paris 68.

but i always thought jimi would use these with the tall base cabinet? on stage are the regular cabs, that made me thinking it had to be el34 amps, so that's what make me unsure.
so i wonder what speakers he would have been using here.
also this concert was 24, feb, 1969. i wonder when exactly he made the change to el34's.

I know it are the characteristics of the kt66 tubes i like. But i like a El34 superlead as well.
i dislike though when jimi uses a fuzz on his neck with concert for rythm playing, a bit too dark for my taste for some passages like purple haze.

Archived